Topic Sponsor
Pre- 1987 / Classic Corner Have a classic Ford F150 truck? Want a classic? Discuss your pre-1987 Ford F150 truck.

any tips on a 300 straight 6?????

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2012, 03:23 PM
Drake

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default any tips on a 300 straight 6?????

Hey Guys i got a 1982 Ford F100, auto trans rwd. its got the 300 straight 6 in it... and let me tell you its gutless... any tips on getting some more out of it???
Ive done air filter, plugs, wires, cap, rotor, changed oil, flushed trans, changed rear end fluid..... also it has 2 1/4 pipe from the header back to a cherry bomb... no cats
Old 03-01-2012, 05:01 PM

Received 36 Likes on 23 Posts

If you want to get some more out of the engine, you're going to need to look into some serious bolt on changes. You are pre feedback carbs, so it will be easier for you, but start doing some research. How much work and/or money are you willing to put into this truck? You can get a bit more out of it for a "bargain", but that doesn't mean it will be cheap, and it isn't going to be a screaming engine by the end either. What are your goals for the engine/truck?
Old 03-01-2012, 07:53 PM

That straight 6 is a good ole engine. Nobody said it was a powerhouse, but it can be made to go. I'd suggest putting a 2 barrel intake manifold on it (and a matching carburetor)(I'm assuming it currently has a 1 barrel?). You could probably find one on Ebay. Also, automatic trannys will make a truck gutless because they suck up more power than the manual, so you might look into a T19 4 speed. Or an M5OD if you want to go exotic. And you could put on a duraspark electronic ignition system, high end spark plugs (platinum/iridium). Little things like those will make a difference usually. Rear end gears also make a difference.
Old 03-03-2012, 10:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Port/polishing the head is a great way to go. Along with the intake. Offenhouser make one along with Clifford performance. Clifford performance is very expensive but very good. A good cam like Crane cams or Comp cams. Good place to start for you.
Old 03-03-2012, 11:47 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'd start by checking the compression and maybe a leakdown test if your compression isn't that great. Granted, the oldest straight 6 I've ever had was a 96, but it was anything but gutless. I would check the basic mechanics of it first just to make sure you aren't being robbed of any of the stock power first.
Old 03-04-2012, 02:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by joshtowal
I'd start by checking the compression and maybe a leakdown test if your compression isn't that great. Granted, the oldest straight 6 I've ever had was a 96, but it was anything but gutless. I would check the basic mechanics of it first just to make sure you aren't being robbed of any of the stock power first.
I agree I have an 86 and it's great lots of power and torque they are great engines and if you don't have the power then most likely u have something wrong ( timing, carb, vacuum leaks or other stuff) put a vacuum guage on it and it should read from 15 to 17. I installed one in my dash so I can keep an eye on it all the time a vacuum guage will tell you a lot and they are not very much I bought mine from harbor freight for $15 and it works great
Old 03-06-2012, 05:03 AM
Drake

Thanks a lot guys! i was deff looking into changing the intake manifold and putting a bigger carb on it, along with a header. yes right now it has a 1 barrel carb on it... the only known problem with it is the gas gauge is broken and the carb gasket is shot which i will replace asap! my original plan was to get my hands on a decent older mustang and take the motor trans and drive line and swap it out... but i dont have engine hoists or anything like that so id be paying a shop to do it.... so i figured id try to help this motor out first and see what i could get outta it
Old 03-06-2012, 05:05 AM
Drake

Originally Posted by DrakeGuy22
Thanks a lot guys! i was deff looking into changing the intake manifold and putting a bigger carb on it, along with a header. yes right now it has a 1 barrel carb on it...
I was going to go with a 4 barrel carb seeing as i have a brand new one in the garage too much ya think?
Old 03-06-2012, 07:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That kind of depends on what size it is. I've heard anywhere from 390cfm up to 600cfm are good. But anything over about 500 or so would be overkill IMO.
As for more power. Headers or turbo manifolds along with an aftermarket 4 barrel carb is a good place to start. Just be aware if you do go aftermarket intake you'll need to find some way to heat the underside of the intake or it could cause driveablity problems. Most people fab a plate to mount to bottom of the intake manifold and run the heater hose thru it. Free flowing cat and good exhaust also. You can also replace your rocker arms with Chevys. That will give you a little more lift without changing cams. As far as bolt on's that's about it. If you want to go more a good cam and some head work come in. Port and polish and 3 angle valve job. Been told a 30* backcut also but have not tried it.

Last edited by KedwinH; 03-06-2012 at 07:26 PM.
Old 03-07-2012, 09:49 PM
Drake

im not 100% on the CFM but the carb is a Holley re-manufactured 4 barrel for an 87 F250, 5.8l 351 Windsor... with the ford kickdown for the auto trans... it was installed but never started....

Quick Reply: any tips on a 300 straight 6?????