Topic Sponsor
Pre- 1987 / Classic Corner Have a classic Ford F150 truck? Want a classic? Discuss your pre-1987 Ford F150 truck.

85 Fan clutch replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2014, 07:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 85 Fan clutch replacement?

I've lurked on here for close to 2 years but this is my first official post...

I'm trying to locate a fan clutch for my 85 f150 with a 5.0. They're impossible to find apparently.
My truck is overheating at idle(15~min), Fan clutch squeals at high rpms(replaced the idler pulley cause I thought that was the problem). Also I tested the fan clutch by shutting the engine off at normal temp and the fan kept spinning. SO, I went to get parts.

Got the one for my truck, Apparently had to get the severe duty cause I have AC or something. Came home, pulled mine off quickly and discovered the flange bases weren't the same size. My old fan blades won't fit onto the new clutch. Took back the part and looked at 2 other model years to locate the right one.

Can anyone tell me where i can get a REAL OEM fan clutch? My old one looks like this one: http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/...aft-Fan-Clutch
but obviously its discontinued.
The first one I tried was the Imperial 215045 severe duty but that obviously doesn't work
Old 03-16-2014, 09:39 AM

Received 234 Likes on 229 Posts

I think there is some confusion about how the fan clutch works. When the vehicle is cold the fan clutch will drag or be stiff. As the vehicle reaches normal operating temperature the fan clutch fluid warms up and allows the fan blades to spin freely. This allows air to pass through the fan while you're moving. As the fluid reaches a higher temperature it locks the clutch and the fan spins full time. This may not be your cooling issue at all. it may be your radiator is clogged. If it is, the fan clutch won't work correctly.
Try Summit Racing.com or RockAuto.com or O'Riley's Auto parts. I've used Hayden fans and clutches for years.
Old 03-19-2014, 09:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for your insight. I scoured a junk yard and found a good fan clutch. So far I don't have any more overheating issues. from looking at the old clutch, it appears the bearing was bad.

Quick Reply: 85 Fan clutch replacement?