Topic Sponsor
Pre- 1987 / Classic Corner Have a classic Ford F150 truck? Want a classic? Discuss your pre-1987 Ford F150 truck.

84 F150 Issue

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2007, 03:11 PM
84 F150

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 84 F150 Issue

Hi All,

Joined a while ago but never posted. I have a 1984 F150 with the 300 6 cyl. It recently lost the speedo, which I would like some advice on how to fix. Also, the wipers sometimes do not work - I do not think it is the motor but maybe the switch, but then again I can't explian it. most of the time it works. Also, my defroster blower rattles and I was going to take it out and look at it, then it ceased working. However, now its working again??? Are these related - the wipers and blower? Do I have a potential electrical issue?

A little history, the truck sat since 1999 and this past spring I both it, had to put a new coil in it and she ran great, changed all the flluids and have not had any issues except for the two noted above. Has 87K on it. Any help would be great.

Thanks,

Dave A.
Old 11-30-2007, 04:08 PM

Received 211 Likes on 191 Posts

Could be many things. From what you've given, don't believe the incidents to be connected to each other directly.

May try exercising the switches several times to knock off any potential buildup on the contacts. Perhaps try electrical contact cleaner if you can see a way to squirt it inside the switch. Also, maybe pull and reinsert the fuse to ensure a good connection there.

Check all connectors for snugness, perhaps pull apart to inspect for corrosion, then make sure things reseat firmly.

If the blower is rattling, may have some crap being whirled around in the squirrel cage. Or, may have a bearing issue. IIRC, pretty easy to pull out and have a look.

*edit* Awww, where are my manners? Welcome to the site! Lots of information here, most of it usable :-)~

Outside possibility (alright, it's a WAG) - perhaps the motors have a dead spot in them from sitting so long. Should the motor stop at this point, may not be able to start again until rolled or vibrated a little.

Good luck - you've got a solid truck with a near-indestructible engine. Should have many, many miles left in it, once you get past these little nuisance problems.

Last edited by wde3477; 11-30-2007 at 04:10 PM. Reason: *edit* - added welcome
Old 11-30-2007, 09:56 PM
84 F150

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the info, can I ask another question. First thank for the greeting! second I am glad I have a truck that will run for a long time! I love it.

So, it has a tick in it, sound like a rocker arm hitting the valve cover - in most vehicles this is not problem - I hope it is not in this vehicle???

Also, I know of past Ford cars I have had and this big boy needs to warm up or else I stall and it is extremely difficult to start. is this the automatic choke that needs to be replaced? if so is that a difficult job?

Thanks again for the first response and anything you can give me for the other issues.

FYI its a step side - just like my grandfather had!

Dave
Old 11-30-2007, 10:11 PM

Received 211 Likes on 191 Posts

Even in 1984, vehicles were able to drive from the get-go, perhaps not with the cold-engine performance of the fuel-injected engines of today, but stalling should not happen. Something has changed.

I suggest the carb is a good starting point for this issue. It may be time for a rebuild. IIRC, the 300 had a pretty simple carb. I suggest to pull the air cleaner and watch the choke action - make sure it pull down when cold, then pull off when warm. The early 1980s were tough years for carbs with trying to meet emission limits. The choke is still probably a thermostatic spring with an electrically-heated boost. Pretty simple to replace, but suggest to make sure it's bad before replacing - too many times, blind replacement of parts results in adding another problem to the mix.

If the ticking is light - probably OK to let slide. Make sure the oil is the proper viscosity and level. If it's a deeper, heavier knock - could be piston wrist-pin or crank rod slap. Not catastrophic, just means that the engine has some damage or wear. May consider running some flush through before the next oil change in the event things may be gummed up and sticky.

Quick Reply: 84 F150 Issue