Topic Sponsor
Pre- 1987 / Classic Corner Have a classic Ford F150 truck? Want a classic? Discuss your pre-1987 Ford F150 truck.

83 f150 5.8 4x4 reg cab stumbles

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2014, 04:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 83 f150 5.8 4x4 reg cab stumbles

I aquired a 83 f150 from my father who passed away.It is 83 4x4 auto with a 351w in it. First thing after getting it running it backfired and popped so I checked timing and at 8 btdc so moved to 10 fixed that. Now had some hesitation when you first hit gas pedal, it wants to stall out unless you let off and pat it. I thought it was all carb issue so bought a new 600 holly from aa for 225 with free Holley air filter. Still same thing. I checked the advance and it seemed like it wasn't fully moving so put another new distributor on it and new brain box. Replaced the lower cap holder due to having play. Cap/rotor was brand new too. Still there. It has been sitting a while so next is wire set and plugs (which were new motorcraft OEM before it had been parked.What else can be causing this stumble, Maybe a manifold leak? All 3 vacumn lines are replaced and sealed properly. Maybe a failing/weak fuel pump? Was thinking of going to a Holley electric fuel pump and putting block plate in place of old manual pump. Figured would ask others if they had this issue ever and what they found was reason.I did search but most came up with 5.8 efi and not same. This has electronic ignition but is not efi.No EGR or air pump. Has headers so i don't know if it was EGR or not and it was removed.There is not egr plate under carb either but could have been removed also.
Old 05-17-2014, 11:14 AM

Received 50 Likes on 49 Posts

Im thinkin low fuel mixture. Try screwing the screws out 1/4 turn each then test. Another 1/4 then test. Remember how much you do so you can return it. If it still dont work you may need a float adjustment. Also double check the choke is closed on cold start and open when warm.
Old 06-10-2014, 07:22 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JayzDaddy
Im thinkin low fuel mixture. Try screwing the screws out 1/4 turn each then test. Another 1/4 then test. Remember how much you do so you can return it. If it still dont work you may need a float adjustment. Also double check the choke is closed on cold start and open when warm.

Newbie here. I hope i can ask a question .I have a 121982 F-150 302/2brl carb auto and it is running rich , the screw adjustments are sealed in the carb body. How do i remove the factory seal with out damaging the carb body. Thouhgt i would ask Thank you.
Attached Images  
Old 06-10-2014, 10:06 PM

Received 50 Likes on 49 Posts

If its sealed you may not be able to. Look into carb while its running. You really shouldnt be able to see the fuel. If you see drips and such its probably time for a swap/rebuild.
The following users liked this post:
Half ton (06-11-2014)
Old 06-11-2014, 09:37 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Thank you. I will do that.Thanks for the tip.

Quick Reply: 83 f150 5.8 4x4 reg cab stumbles