Topic Sponsor
Pre- 1987 / Classic Corner Have a classic Ford F150 truck? Want a classic? Discuss your pre-1987 Ford F150 truck.

79 F100 Fuel filter location

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2019, 07:29 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Question 79 F100 Fuel filter location

Hi all, working on getting my 79 f100 running and wanted to know what everyone was doing about a fuel filter. I bought the truck and it had one inline just before the card. I've been redoing the gas lines and put the filter back to where it was when I bought the truck. Is this a safe/good location for it? Are you all running without a filter?
The tank is original, so I don't want to run without a filter, at least until I go through the tank a few times, but I'm not sure where the filter should be.

Thanks in advance!
Old 05-13-2019, 07:52 PM

Received 434 Likes on 291 Posts

You definitely want a fuel filter. That look about like where I have seen most inline filters located. Most are all metal, though. That looks like one for a small engine. I would guess the reason for all metal is to keep it from melting if it gets on a hot part.

My 1977's filter screws into the carb body. It came that way new.
Old 05-13-2019, 08:25 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 77Ranger460
You definitely want a fuel filter. That look about like where I have seen most inline filters located. Most are all metal, though. That looks like one for a small engine. I would guess the reason for all metal is to keep it from melting if it gets on a hot part.

My 1977's filter screws into the carb body. It came that way new.
Thanks Ranger. I guess when I run the gas out of this tank I'll replace it with a metal one.
Old 05-13-2019, 10:34 PM

Received 1,731 Likes on 1,487 Posts

If it ever got hot enough to melt the plastic, the gas would have boiled. That plastic is designed for use on engines, so it's safe. Metal filters prevent you from seeing if there's gas or contamination inside, which is why clear hi-temp plastic filters are available nowadays.

The filter can be anywhere it's convenient, between the pump & carb. It doesn't have to be ON the engine, but don't route the hose where it will be chafed, pinched (including during a collision or rollover), overheated, or pulled by the engine rocking on its mounts (or the mounts breaking).
Old 05-30-2019, 07:23 AM

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Default Fuel filter location

Not sure about the original location but my '78 is plastic and was located the same as you have shown, my only suggestion is to be sure to check the hoses ans clamps periodically. My hose cracked, leaked and caught on fire, fortunately a somebody in a neighborhood i was going through brought me a fire extinguisher before i lost everything.
Now as standard equipment i have an updated fire extinguisher inside the cab.
I also relocated my filter alongside near the PS pump eliminating the sharper bend in the line to carb, thats my 2 cents on the filter and i do agree with the clear plastic, if you ever have a starting issue its easy to see if its fuel related.
Good luck n enjoy your ride....i do, especially when somesays WOW what year is that... Nice truck!!

Last edited by hobolabo; 05-30-2019 at 07:26 AM.

Quick Reply: 79 F100 Fuel filter location