Topic Sponsor
Pre- 1987 / Classic Corner Have a classic Ford F150 truck? Want a classic? Discuss your pre-1987 Ford F150 truck.

78 F100 long tube header install

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2019, 03:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 78 F100 long tube header install

I just installed set of Hooker long tube headers on a 78 F100. Hooker’s instructions stated the frame cross member would have to removed then reinstalled after headers were on. It’s the first cross member behind past the oil pan (there’s a second crossmember under the transmission. The problem is with the headers on the cross member won’t go back on. The header tubes on the passenger side block being able to put it back. Anyone run into this and if so what was your fix. The truck is 2 wheel drive.
Old 02-12-2019, 10:38 AM

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Send a pic of your issue or explain just what exactly the issue is, modification is usually a fix for most problems, think out of the box... i generally come up with a solution that way. For example, i put a pto to drive a hydraulic pump and had a similar issue to you. I bought a 3" pipe coupling, cut the cross member, welded it in to accommodate/clear the pump shaft, Worked great!
Hope it helps n send some pics.

Last edited by hobolabo; 02-12-2019 at 10:42 AM.
Old 02-12-2019, 09:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Appreciate the response. What you’ve recommended is the path I ended up taking. I removed the cross member and installed the headers. After installing the headers I put the cross member up to the headers as close as to where it was supposed to be as possible and marked it where it would need to be cut. Took the cross member to a local steel shop and he did a good smooth cut out. Wasn’t much and the cross member slid right into place.

Quick Reply: 78 F100 long tube header install