Topic Sponsor
Pre- 1987 / Classic Corner Have a classic Ford F150 truck? Want a classic? Discuss your pre-1987 Ford F150 truck.

4.9 feedback carb choke

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2016, 09:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 4.9 feedback carb choke

Won't run for **** until it gets up to temperature.. Then runs pretty much perfect.. There's a little vacuum line connected plunger module thing that's connected to the choke that I assume might be shot and just never chokes?
Old 04-30-2016, 11:30 PM
Senior

Received 119 Likes on 112 Posts

Is the choke closing when the engine is cold before you start up?
Old 05-02-2016, 07:39 PM

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

The "plunger" module you are talking about is the choke pull-off. Its to supply just enough air upon cranking that the engine can start. Check to see the different positions of your choke plate and let us know what they are. Should be fully closed after pressing the gas pedal once prior to start up, should open up fully within a minute or two after starting if you choke is working properly. I'm guessing yours won't be functioning how I just described.

Based on your short explanation, I concur with Ghostrider, your choke plate is probably not closing when you start the truck and therefore the choke plate is fully open and supplying too much air while the engine is still cold.
Old 05-05-2016, 05:00 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

ALL Ford engines rely heavily on solid vacuum. Make sure that ALL of the lines are fresh.
Vacuum hose is very cheap by the foot at local parts stores. Take the time to replace all of the hoses, one at a time. Pull a hose, measure it against new hose, cut and replace. Vacuum hose is not like neoprene hose...it becomes brittle and is subject to dry rot with hot/cold expansion/contraction.
I stock it by the 25 ft. roll in the garage. $30.00..well spent.
$30 bucks vs. a tow bill.....Priceless.
Concerning the choke butterfly.....remove the air cleaner and have someone watch the carb while you normally start the truck and report what the carb is doing. A choke adjustment, or a manual choke conversion might be in order.
Old 05-12-2016, 10:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey I'm sorry I didn't get an alert for this before. Really appreciate it, got some very similar advice today and I'm going to trace the lines as soon as I can.. I just posted a new thread based on what I've discovered recently also.. Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails 4.9 feedback carb choke-image-2246254763.jpg  
Old 05-24-2016, 10:24 PM

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I posted in your other thread as well. Vacuum leaks on this set-up reak havoc on the tune.

Quick Reply: 4.9 feedback carb choke