Topic Sponsor
Pre- 1987 / Classic Corner Have a classic Ford F150 truck? Want a classic? Discuss your pre-1987 Ford F150 truck.

1986 f150 302 EFI spark

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2015, 08:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1986 f150 302 EFI spark

Ok, I've had trouble with this thing as you can tell from my other posts. I checked the spark again and it seems very week with just a very thin spark to no spark. Just wondering how strong the spark should be
Old 05-05-2015, 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by Deputy739
Ok, I've had trouble with this thing as you can tell from my other posts. I checked the spark again and it seems very week with just a very thin spark to no spark. Just wondering how strong the spark should be

Well, I took out the msd ignition coil and noticed a crack in the glue and some of the plastic was cracked. Could my problem be the coil? No oil as coming out
Old 05-06-2015, 09:05 AM

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts

A fairily common no start failure is the TFI module located on the side of the distributor. Some auto-parts stores can bench test the TFI for you. You can get a removal tool from the auto-parts store as well.

The other issue can be the HAL pickup sensor device located inside the distributor.
Most people just replace the whole distributor as the sensor is difficult to remove and replace.
You can get new or rebuilt distributors both with or without the TFI attached.

Google Ford TFI, There is tons of info on how to test diagnose the TFI and HAL sensor issues.
Old 05-06-2015, 06:23 PM

Received 708 Likes on 671 Posts

I'd go with the coil as being a real good possible. If you have A spark things are kinda working. a weak spark in open air may not be able to jump the gap when under compression. And if you don't think yours looks very healthy anyway ....
I'm not a big fan of mixing and mismatching ignition components anyway. I think when someone starts shoving a different style of coil or distributor in there it can tax the rest of the ignition system.
Personally, I'd replace that puppy with a stock coil and cross your fingers.
Old 05-07-2015, 06:40 AM

Originally Posted by Chris_1
I'd go with the coil as being a real good possible. If you have A spark things are kinda working. a weak spark in open air may not be able to jump the gap when under compression. And if you don't think yours looks very healthy anyway ....
I'm not a big fan of mixing and mismatching ignition components anyway. I think when someone starts shoving a different style of coil or distributor in there it can tax the rest of the ignition system.
Personally, I'd replace that puppy with a stock coil and cross your fingers.
You are correct, it was the msd coil. I changed it out and it started right up. The msd coil was only about a year and a half or two years old. Thanks

Quick Reply: 1986 f150 302 EFI spark