Topic Sponsor
Pre- 1987 / Classic Corner Have a classic Ford F150 truck? Want a classic? Discuss your pre-1987 Ford F150 truck.

1985 Ford 150 w/302 EFI

Old 07-11-2009, 11:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1985 Ford 150 w/302 EFI

Greetings, my dad’s ford has had problems before with fuel pressure regulators, and a module on the distributor, ignition coil, etc. Now when you are going down the road 55mph it starts acting up, like it is running out of gas. If you press the pedal to the floor it takes a few seconds but it will clear up for a short time period, then it will start doing it all over again. I thought it could possibly be the fuel filter.... but that seems too easy. I changed it 2 years ago and the vehicle has maybe 8K miles on it since then. I greatly appreciate any information.
Old 07-12-2009, 10:37 AM

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts

Does it have dual tanks?
If so there is a second filter inside the fuel tank selector valve / reservoir.
It's located down on the frame rail behind the high pressure pump.
You will have to remove the skid plate to get at it. Unscrew the base of the reservoir to replace the filter.

http://i608.photobucket.com/albums/t...ordfuelres.jpg

Ford states that the filter is lifetime part but I had to replace it 2x before finally replacing the whole valve with an electric switch valve. I also put a generic filter in each fuel line. My real problem is that a bad sender pump in the rear tank was sending junk through the lines - replaced all that too.

In my case I could not go over 50 mph at which point it would start sputtering and act like it was running out of fuel. At the same time the main fuel pump would whine. Below 50 it would be fine.

I thought 86 was the 1st year of the EFI engines?
Old 07-12-2009, 04:18 PM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Prior to EFI was CFI, had that on an 85 302 Cougar. Don't remember myself when EFI, actually its was called SEFI (sequential electronic fuel injection) was introduced or which vehicle. Back to thread starter, 2 years is a long time on a filter, especially one that doesn't drive much.
Old 07-12-2009, 08:01 PM

Default 1985 F150 w/302 EFI?

Thanks guys, I will start with the fuel filter. I am not positive.... it might be an 86 model. I sincerely appreciate all the help I get from the "techs" on this site. You have saved me $$$$$ and headaches. Once again; Thank You!
Old 07-12-2009, 08:34 PM

Default 1985 F150 w/302 EFI

I had my dad look for the Production date....it is 03/85
Old 07-29-2009, 09:45 PM

Since we last talked, we have changed the fuel filters (the canister and the inline) changed Distributor Cap, and the fuel pressure regulator. The truck, when going a steady 45 mph feels like it is running out of gas. If you press the gas pedal down a little more it quits acting up? Thanks again for any information
Old 07-29-2009, 09:46 PM

Default 1985 F150 missing and sputtering

Since we last talked, we have changed the fuel filters (the canister and the inline) changed Distributer Cap, and the fuel pressure regulator. The truck, when going a steady 45 mph feels like it is running out of gas. If you press the gas pedal down a little more it quits acting up? Thanks again for any information
Old 07-31-2009, 12:01 PM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Any codes being thrown? Another no expense trial and error, disconnect and plug the vaccuum line to the EGR and test drive. If an ohm meter is available, check the resistance of the TPS as you sweep is thru its range.
Old 01-23-2017, 08:46 PM

Hello. I am new to this forum. I have a 1985 F150 5.0 with fuel injected 302 motor. The truck is in great shape and I've had no problems with it until now. I ran out of gas recently and then could not get the truck started. I have since dropped and cleaned the tank, replaced the sending unit, replaced the inline or on rail fuel reservoir (one tank only) and checked to make sure that all lines were clear. When I turn the key, all pumps work correctly and shoot out gas. If the truck sits for an hour or so, it cranks right up. But then after about 45 seconds it just stops. I also replaced the fuel pump relay, hoping that would do it. The ONLY part of the fuel system that has not been changed is the fuel pressure regulator. It's a small silver colored canister that sits on the fuel injector rail that is mounted with upside down Alan bolts. Could this be the problem? Or am I on the wrong track all together? Could this be an ignition problem? The truck starts instantly and idles perfectly, but only for less than a minute. Then it just stops and will not restart?
Old 01-23-2017, 11:58 PM
Old Timer

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by axelbarron
Hello. I am new to this forum. I have a 1985 F150 5.0 with fuel injected 302 motor. The truck is in great shape and I've had no problems with it until now. I ran out of gas recently and then could not get the truck started. I have since dropped and cleaned the tank, replaced the sending unit, replaced the inline or on rail fuel reservoir (one tank only) and checked to make sure that all lines were clear. When I turn the key, all pumps work correctly and shoot out gas. If the truck sits for an hour or so, it cranks right up. But then after about 45 seconds it just stops. I also replaced the fuel pump relay, hoping that would do it. The ONLY part of the fuel system that has not been changed is the fuel pressure regulator. It's a small silver colored canister that sits on the fuel injector rail that is mounted with upside down Alan bolts. Could this be the problem? Or am I on the wrong track all together? Could this be an ignition problem? The truck starts instantly and idles perfectly, but only for less than a minute. Then it just stops and will not restart?
Would not hurt to replace your pressure regulator.
Make sure return line back to the tank is clear.
You can pull off the vacuum line to see if it is leaking fuel into the line.
"45 seconds" -

Last edited by vjsimone; 01-25-2017 at 01:09 AM. Reason: Correcting text
The following users liked this post:
axelbarron (01-24-2017)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1985 Ford 150 w/302 EFI