Topic Sponsor
Pre- 1987 / Classic Corner Have a classic Ford F150 truck? Want a classic? Discuss your pre-1987 Ford F150 truck.

1985 F150 L6 RWD-Granny low Manual Oddball.

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2016, 10:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1985 F150 L6 RWD-Granny low Manual Oddball.

Not sure where to start here.. So the truck has no ECU, the intake was replaced with the Offenhauser, with a 4bbl carter carb. We made a throttle bracket which works fine. We replaced the distributor with a vacuum only set up, and an accel HEI coil. Stock exhaust, no AC, heater core has been removed from the coolant "circuit" but occupies it's space in the firewall still. has manual locks and window control. So the problem we are running into now that we begin to rewire the truck is that sensors like the temp gauge use to go into the ECU before the gauge. How would we go about plugging straight from the sensor to the gauge? (All gauges need done) We are going to add a tachometer also but we already set that up and tested it (works great just have to actually install it now). The engine runs extremely smooth, with perhaps a little to much heat, but a new radiator is probably in order. The engine won't start unless we choke the carb manually (which needs to be ran to the cab still) but other than that it's a beast that drives just fine. We just have no gauges! Can anyone suggest a work around with no ECU?

Last edited by Skyler Small; 09-15-2016 at 10:14 PM.
Old 09-16-2016, 09:21 AM

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

You might need new analog guages that run off sensor instead of digital signal from ECU.. Dakota Digital has some solutions that might help you convert the signal to something usable at the dash. I used one of their speed pulse re-programmers in my Firebird when I changed the transmission (and subsequently the speed pulse sensor). Changing the sensor gear wouldn't work, but converting the pulses from 40k to 2k ppm did great.

I'm not sure what's behind your dash, but here's a link to get started and see what's possible.
http://www.dakotadigital.com/index.c...rod/prd886.htm

Quick Reply: 1985 F150 L6 RWD-Granny low Manual Oddball.