Topic Sponsor
Pre- 1987 / Classic Corner Have a classic Ford F150 truck? Want a classic? Discuss your pre-1987 Ford F150 truck.

1985 5.0 302 efi idle issues/pressing gas pedal to crank

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2019, 08:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1985 5.0 302 efi idle issues/pressing gas pedal to crank

New to the forum! Well, the other night while I was driving home, I had pulled over to get something out of my tool box. The truck was idling fine, then suddenly it sounded like I shut the key off while I was standing outside of it. I went to see if it would fire back up but it spun like crazy. Finally figured out the distributor cap to ignition coil wire came off, i plugged it back in then the truck fired right back up of course, but I noticed it would not idle at all unless I gave it some gas. Every time I go to crank it up, I have to tap the gas pedal. As soon as I let off the gas, it shuts right off. Not a spit or a sputter. Just dies completely, I’ve noticed after I’ve driven it for about ten minutes, shut it off, then crank it back up, it runs horrible until I give it a lot more gas when I take off on the highway. I haven’t replaced much lately except plugs, wires, air filter and fuel filter. Just don’t want to keep buying parts and it not be it. I could really use the help. It’s my only way of going right now. Thanks in advance!
Old 02-26-2019, 09:45 PM

Received 1,731 Likes on 1,487 Posts

Don't replace ANY part unless it's due on the maintenance schedule, or it fails a published test. If you don't have a Haynes manual, it's time to get one. Click this & read the caption:

(phone app link)

When you have the manual, READ IT cover-to-cover at least once. You can skip the chapters & sections that obviously don't apply to your truck (like the optional engines, transmissions, and newer systems). But you need to familiarize yourself with what's in it, and where to find things.

If throttle position has that big an effect, I'd start by testing the TPS, as this caption explains:

(phone app link)
Old 03-26-2020, 04:20 PM

Received 237 Likes on 211 Posts

Foremost what would concern me is how/why that wire came out of the cap or coil??
Did it buck that bad?? Sounds like it wasn't plugged in all the way??
Especially if it goes back in with some stiffness...Could it have been loose before??
You said plugs & wired were replaced.....why not the cap & rotor etc. ??
I would inspect the cap & rotor/points as an initial concern....
Old 03-26-2020, 04:23 PM

Received 494 Likes on 428 Posts

He's had a month now and I would hope he has this resolved already.
Old 03-26-2020, 04:37 PM

Received 237 Likes on 211 Posts

Damm my bad...I missed that.....

Quick Reply: 1985 5.0 302 efi idle issues/pressing gas pedal to crank