Topic Sponsor
Pre- 1987 / Classic Corner Have a classic Ford F150 truck? Want a classic? Discuss your pre-1987 Ford F150 truck.

1984 coil +pos and-neg leads test hot

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2007, 01:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1984 coil +pos and-neg leads test hot

Presently the truck has no spark from coil , yet both + and - terminals of
coil when tested with a light tester grounded to neg., of battery will light up the tester when the ignition switch is on and the tfi plug to module on the side of the distributor I unhooked just to remove any back feedback from the module itself. So I believe the coil is at fault
Old 06-05-2007, 03:57 PM
NGM
Resident A-hole

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by 84ford
Presently the truck has no spark from coil , yet both + and - terminals of
coil when tested with a light tester grounded to neg., of battery will light up the tester when the ignition switch is on and the tfi plug to module on the side of the distributor I unhooked just to remove any back feedback from the module itself. So I believe the coil is at fault
With everything hooked up and testing the Neg side of the coil will it flash while the engine is being cranked over? If it does not flash the test light the pickup in the distributor is prolly bad.
Old 06-06-2007, 08:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Test Light Does Make A Flickering Effect To Test Light

I hooked back the plug in to the distributor side mounted module and hooked up the test light to the coil and turned it over and saw a fluctuation of the light as I was cranking it over in order to test the pickup. I further tested the coil by unhooking the connector to it and ran a hot wire from the battery to the + side of coil and test light test negative side of coil and it lights up and with what I know this should not happen according to what I have read and experience of vehicles- and I`m old school backyard mechanic that grew up with points.tin cans and coat hangers.

Last edited by 84ford; 06-06-2007 at 08:42 AM.

Quick Reply: 1984 coil +pos and-neg leads test hot