Topic Sponsor
Pre- 1987 / Classic Corner Have a classic Ford F150 truck? Want a classic? Discuss your pre-1987 Ford F150 truck.

1983 Ford F150 Carburetor

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2017, 08:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1983 Ford F150 Carburetor

I need to replace my Carburetor, I want to buy a new one. I am looking for any help or advice you guys may have.

1983 Ford F150 Engine: Straight 6
It is 2wd with an 8' bed
Manual Transmission

*Also the current Carburetor has a manual choke

Old 04-22-2017, 01:09 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Looks like you're going to need something like a Tomco #1-507. I would be very surprised if you could find one brand new. As far as I know there are only remanufactured available.

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...2431&ppt=C0359

It also looks like someone added a manual choke push/pull type cable. A replacement carb will come with either an electric or hot air choke. I can see the hot air tube in one of the pictured but can't tell if there are any wires for the electric assist.

Last edited by Mailho69; 04-22-2017 at 01:18 PM.
Old 04-22-2017, 03:22 PM

Default Manual Choke

Your right, someone did add a manual choke. I would like to get that back to being an electric or hot air choke. I will check online at O'Reilly auto parts. So I should have wire hook ups for an electric choke?
Old 04-22-2017, 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by oaks83
Your right, someone did add a manual choke. I would like to get that back to being an electric or hot air choke. I will check online at O'Reilly auto parts. So I should have wire hook ups for an electric choke?
If it came with an electric choke yes. The round black cup on the back side will have a wire and a corresponding wire coming from the trucks wiring harness, like the one in this link...

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...2431&ppt=C0359

It looks like the trucks with AC had the electric choke. Your's doesn't look like it does.
Old 04-22-2017, 03:58 PM

Default Electric choke

Right my truck doesn't have AC so it must be the one that has the hot air choke. I have never seen any extra wires hanging around that could hook up to the Carburetor. How does the hot air choke work? I wonder why someone added the manual choke?

So how do I find out my engine size? I know it is a 6 cylinder but O'Reillys has 3 different 6L engines for that year Ford.
Old 04-22-2017, 04:06 PM

Default Engine Size

Scratch that last question about engine size. They don't have three different engine sizes for the 6L they just listed three different choices based on whether it was a base model, the XL, etc. Same engine for each model.

So really all I need to know is which choke to get I guess?
Old 04-22-2017, 04:33 PM

I found this one at RockAuto.com

http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo....121353&jsn=465

That looks like the one you need.
Old 04-22-2017, 04:51 PM

Default Rock auto.com

That looks like it is identical to the one I have, and it seems like a good price. Thanks for the help.

I read this message on their page, just wondering if this applies to me?

Important Install Notice: Carburetors with climatic control choke having a binding or stuck choke valve should be checked for a burnt out heater tube located in the exhaust manifold. This is not visible from the outside of the carburetor, but can be checked by removing the climatic choke cover. Whenever carbon deposits are found inside the choke housing, a burnt out heater tube in the manifold is indicated.

Replacing the carburetor is not a correction as the burnt out heater tube will continue to damage carburetors. Correct procedure is to replace the burnt out heater tube.

I am thinking that I don't have a climate controlled system, so therefore I wouldn't have a broken heater tube?
Old 04-22-2017, 05:04 PM

I believe the tube they are referring to is the one that you do have and is wrapped with that insulating sleeve. It is above the throttle cable in your last picture.

This may be the reason the original carb is bad and why the previous person installed the manual choke cable.

They sell a kit to replace the tube and I would suggest that you replace it regardless just as you would the fuel filter.

http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo....633105&jsn=304
Old 04-22-2017, 05:30 PM

Default Thanks

I think you are right that makes sense to me now. I will buy that heater tube as well as the carburetor. Thanks for the help.