Topic Sponsor
Pre- 1987 / Classic Corner Have a classic Ford F150 truck? Want a classic? Discuss your pre-1987 Ford F150 truck.

1982 f-150 302 V8 vacuum system componets.

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2016, 05:31 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 1982 f-150 302 V8 vacuum system componets.

I have a 1982 f-150 302 V8 automatic 4x4. I failed emissions due to way too high co's. I took the steps of rebuilding the 2 bbl carb and i am going to replace the cat( non sensor cat). I want to replace the check valve as well. Where i am running in to trouble is , can any one identify the gismo behind the carb that bolts into the intake manifold and is connected to the hose off the air pump.

There is the air pump, the check valve and then at the intake is this approx 6 inch in diameter thing ?. I think it is a vacuum switch ?. Does nay one have a vacuum componet lists so i can identify what the part is so i can purchase it. I tried LMC truck but they were limited on the older classic parts. I will be ready for emissions when i change all the parts in line of the air pump to the intake manifold. Thanks for any help. Great site for me so far.
Old 07-31-2016, 07:02 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Is the emissions decal on the core support? If so, it will show vacuum routing specs.
Old 08-01-2016, 01:20 AM

Originally Posted by 84ordF150
Is the emissions decal on the core support? If so, it will show vacuum routing specs.
I did some research on line and found out that that thing behind the carb is the EGR valve and the other item is the air pump check valve. I purchased them both today. I have a new carb rebuild/a new EGR valve / a new air pump check valve and a new cat. I just have to install the EGR valve before i install the carb, much easier that way. I should pass emissions this time. I failed the emissions on way high co's and i dumped a can of sea spray down the brake booster vacuum hose and couldn't believe the amount of smoke/carbon that came out of the tail pipe. So over all i should pass emissions after i find the sweet spot on the fuel air mixture screws, i use a vacuum gauge and hope to get 15 or 16 inches of vacuum then i'm good.
Old 08-05-2016, 08:52 PM

I am going to the emissions test this Monday, we shall see............lol. I have a normal amount of trepidation about passing the test only because of all the work i did, i mean i did not a mechanic. We shall see.
Old 09-14-2016, 01:27 AM

I did pass the emissions after timeing/carb rebuild and re jet for altitude. The truck no longer runs rich and stinks the garage up. I'm a happy camper. Only one thing left to do is the distributor vacuum advance isn't functioning. Relative easy fix and inespensive as well. Bring on the winter , we are ready.

Quick Reply: 1982 f-150 302 V8 vacuum system componets.