Topic Sponsor
Pre- 1987 / Classic Corner Have a classic Ford F150 truck? Want a classic? Discuss your pre-1987 Ford F150 truck.

1974 460 Big Block Charging Issue

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2014, 02:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry 1974 460 Big Block Charging Issue

Just recently put a remanufactured engine and tranny in. EVERYTHING is new. Starter, battery, alternator, intake, carb, water pump, coil, spark plugs, spark plug wires, distributor, ignition regulator, ignition module, starting cylenoid... EVERYTHING except for the wiring harness. The battery wont hold a charge. Wont start after shutting off. If i start it and let it run while its sitting (after jump starting it) it only runs til the battery dies and it shuts off. Im assuming the alternator isnt charging the battery. The alternator is hooked up with the red wire on the black post, and the black wire on the red post. I already have a new wiring harness, i really just dont want to put it in if its only one or two wires that are bad. lol. Any help would be appreciated, this seems to baffle any Orielly or AutoZone employee. The mechanic that hooked everything up is very trustworthy and has always crossed his T's and dotted his I's if you know what i mean, so if youre gonna bash the mechanic on this one GTFO. Im just here for some advice, insight, help, anything. Thanks.:ce nsored:
Old 09-09-2014, 11:51 AM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Have mechanic put a meter on the alternator

Simple to check the output....should be first thing done...

Quick Reply: 1974 460 Big Block Charging Issue