Topic Sponsor
2021+ Ford F150 Discussion of the 14th generation F150.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sulfur/Natural Gas smell from Powerboost

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2021, 12:05 AM
F150GFK

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Sulfur/Natural Gas smell from Powerboost

I have a 2021 Limited Powerboost and noticed when the truck is in electric mode and I come to a complete stop I smell sulfur/natural gas or something like that. Has anyone else had this issue? Google says overcharged/leaking battery or maybe bad catalytic converter? (I’m not a big mechanical type)

Last edited by Andrew Levine; 03-01-2021 at 11:17 PM.
Old 03-07-2021, 12:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Andrew Levine
I have a 2021 Limited Powerboost and noticed when the truck is in electric mode and I come to a complete stop I smell sulfur/natural gas or something like that. Has anyone else had this issue? Google says overcharged/leaking battery or maybe bad catalytic converter? (I’m not a big mechanical type)
Not sure about your problem, and do not know much about theses new systems.We just replaced a Power Transfer Unit (PTU) in our MKX because of the natural gas smell. I would be curious what they tell you is wrong.
Old 07-01-2021, 10:24 PM

Unhappy Same thing

Originally Posted by Andrew Levine
Hi Andrew, were able to figure it that problem? I have the same issue, took it to the dealer, and they told me not to use the towing mode unless for a very short period which doesn't make sense! Please let me know if you can share any tips. Thanks.
Old 07-01-2021, 11:28 PM
F150GFK

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by samjan
Hi Andrew, were able to figure it that problem? I have the same issue, took it to the dealer, and they told me not to use the towing mode unless for a very short period which doesn't make sense! Please let me know if you can share any tips. Thanks.
Long story short, I never did get an answer as to why it was doing that. Ford corporate got involved and decided to buy it back under the lemon law policy. I’m curious what they tell you. I would consider that route if it’s not getting fixed!
Old 07-02-2021, 11:18 AM
dmd

Received 301 Likes on 213 Posts

Wrong answer, you should be able to use tow mode for days or months of you are constantly towing. Go back and challenge them, dont accept
excuses without a resolution. What is the smell and why is it happening?

The following users liked this post:
DanFL (12-26-2022)
Old 07-02-2021, 12:19 PM

Andrew, thanks for the information.

dmd, it's a strong propane/ natural gas smell that fills the cabin.

Update: I took it to another dealership this morning and explained the smell and what the first dealership told me about not using the towing mode. They said that doesn't make sense (no more BS like the first dealership). They had two technicians (junior and senior) coming with me on two separate short drives to demonstrate the issue. They both noticed the strong natural gas smell. Then they took the truck inside their service garage. They checked everything and found a loose hose somewhere which they tightened. I did another test drive with the senior technician, but still, the smell persisted. They told me that they have to get in touch with Ford's "hotline" and expect to hear feedback within 48 hours. I will keep you posted.
Old 07-02-2021, 03:42 PM

Default Update

I took it to another dealership this morning and explained the smell and what the first dealership told me about not using the towing mode. They said that doesn't make sense (no more BS like the first dealership). They had two technicians (junior and senior) coming with me on two separate short drives to demonstrate the issue. They both noticed the strong natural gas smell. Then they took the truck inside their service garage. They checked everything and found a loose hose somewhere which they tightened. I did another test drive with the senior technician, but still, the smell persisted. They told me that they have to get in touch with Ford's "hotline" and expect to hear feedback within 48 hours. I will keep you posted.
Old 10-28-2021, 10:14 PM

Received 31 Likes on 16 Posts

Any news on this?

I think I’m getting it too sometimes. 2 week old power boost with 3000km already.

The new car smell has been very potent on this one.
Old 10-29-2021, 08:16 AM

Unhappy

I took it to another dealership this morning and explained the smell and what the first dealership told me about not using the towing mode. They said that doesn't make sense (no more BS like the first dealership). They had two technicians (junior and senior) coming with me on two separate short drives to demonstrate the issue. They both noticed the strong natural gas smell. Then they took the truck inside their service garage. They checked everything and found a loose hose somewhere which they tightened. I did another test drive with the senior technician, but still, the smell persisted. They told me that they have to get in touch with Ford's "hotline" and expect to hear feedback within 48 hours. I will keep you posted.
Ford told the other dealer to flush ALL the oils in the vehicle, and they found a contaminated oil in one of the components (I'm not sure which one exactly). So they replaced all the oils, and the smell was gone for a few weeks. However, I started getting that same strong propane smell again, and I plan to take it back to the same dealer. Very annoying.
Old 10-29-2021, 08:16 AM

I just posted an update.

Quick Reply: Sulfur/Natural Gas smell from Powerboost