Topic Sponsor
Performance, Tuning, and (LEGAL) Racing Post discussions about increasing performance, capabilities, and racing. ****WARNING**** Street racing or illegal activities will be removed and potential bans will be handed out.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

X4 froze loading custom tune

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2019, 09:30 PM

Received 260 Likes on 191 Posts

Default X4 froze loading custom tune

The tune loaded and got all the way to the clearing dtc screen and it froze up. It says processing data please wait. Not sure now if I can unplug the tuner and turn the key off or what. Hate to leave the key on all night

Help!!
Old 05-14-2019, 11:00 PM

well the good news is the tune loaded and the truck started. the x4 however gets stuck on the datalog/gauge screen just like it did on the clearing dtc screen. I was able to pass thru the x4 and get the idle logs and slow drive logs as requested and sent them on to id motorsports.

perhaps I'll have to return the truck to stock (on the tuner) and update the firmware as someone suggested to get the tuner back working properly. I have an email to sct and hopefully I can get the x4 squared away and not have to buy another tuner

at least I think the tuner has to be unmarried to update the firmware
Old 05-14-2019, 11:40 PM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

Originally Posted by rojizostang
at least I think the tuner has to be unmarried to update the firmware
Highly recommended but not required.
Old 05-14-2019, 11:45 PM

Originally Posted by Rnlcomp
Highly recommended but not required.
I appreciate the input

the guy i'm working with used to be the head trainer at sct.....i'm pretty sure he can walk me thru it. I just don't want to buy another tuner on top of everything else I've been spending money on.

I saved the stock file to my computer, so i'll have a copy in case the one on the device gets corrupted if I need to update it without it being returned to stock. I also assume I could delete the custom tune and reload it from the laptop also so it wouldn't be corrupted either.

I was panicking for a minute but I think everything will be ok.
Old 05-15-2019, 06:20 PM

a firmware update resolved all the issues
The following users liked this post:
TX-Ripper (05-15-2019)
Old 05-15-2019, 08:41 PM

Received 428 Likes on 336 Posts

How is Matt’s tune?
Old 05-15-2019, 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by TX-Ripper
How is Matt’s tune?
My butt dyno isn't sensitive enough to say positively

we did a lot of datalogging, and in the short term everything is sorted out. I couldn't get a good final pull from a dig in drive because of too much tire spin, so after we put the driveshaft in it tomorrow, i'll bolt on the drag radials and do a little more logging for him. it's my experience that it will shift at a lot lower rpm with the drag tires than the street tires because there's no slippage. I anticipate adjusting the shift points to accommodate the drag tires. he plans for it to shift at 7500 rpm. I expressed a few concerns about shifting a gen I coyote that high, and he said simply he's been doing it a long time.

hopefully he made cam timing adjustments that will allow the motor to run higher in the rpm range than the last tune and I can cash in with better et's. The last tuner made no cam timing adjustments period.
Old 05-15-2019, 09:28 PM

Received 428 Likes on 336 Posts

Originally Posted by rojizostang
My butt dyno isn't sensitive enough to say positively

we did a lot of datalogging, and in the short term everything is sorted out. I couldn't get a good final pull from a dig in drive because of too much tire spin, so after we put the driveshaft in it tomorrow, i'll bolt on the drag radials and do a little more logging for him. it's my experience that it will shift at a lot lower rpm with the drag tires than the street tires because there's no slippage. I anticipate adjusting the shift points to accommodate the drag tires. he plans for it to shift at 7500 rpm. I expressed a few concerns about shifting a gen I coyote that high, and he said simply he's been doing it a long time.

hopefully he made cam timing adjustments that will allow the motor to run higher in the rpm range than the last tune and I can cash in with better et's. The last tuner made no cam timing adjustments period.
Matt knows what he’s doing, make sure your end is sorted...

fuel quality fuel quality fuel quality
Old 05-15-2019, 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by TX-Ripper
Matt knows what he’s doing, make sure your end is sorted...

fuel quality fuel quality fuel quality
I plan to use boostane professional at the track. Tomorrow's logs will be on 93 octane.
Old 05-15-2019, 10:08 PM
rodent aviator

Received 272 Likes on 145 Posts

I know with the SCT3 they were sensitive to voltage drops. Making sure the battery was fully charged was recommended, some guys would hook up a trickle charger before loading a tune. Haven't heard of those issues with the SCT4 but I'm not connected with that scene much any more (haven't been to the race track in 5 years).

Quick Reply: X4 froze loading custom tune