Topic Sponsor
Performance, Tuning, and (LEGAL) Racing Post discussions about increasing performance, capabilities, and racing. ****WARNING**** Street racing or illegal activities will be removed and potential bans will be handed out.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Whipple supercharger under factory warranty

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2015, 06:09 PM

Received 401 Likes on 229 Posts
Default Whipple supercharger under factory warranty

I have read in a few places online that people have had a Whipple supercharger installed and still had their manufacturers warranty afterwards. I am interested in the 2017 5.0 Platinum and installing a Whipple supercharger but do not want to do it at the cost of losing my manufacturers warranty. Maybe by the time 2017 gets here there will be a 5.0 EcoBoost.

Last edited by Brand; 11-26-2015 at 06:44 PM.
Old 11-26-2015, 06:13 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

adding aftermarket items does not necessarily "void" your warranty. The manufacturer or dealer has to prove that the modification caused the damage/problem.
The Magnuson-Moss Warranty – Federal Trade Commission Improvement Act of 1975 protects consumers from such fraudulent activity by new car dealers. Under this Act, aftermarket equipment that improves performance does not void a vehicle manufacturer’s original warranty, unless the warranty clearly states the addition of aftermarket equipment automatically voids your vehicle’s warranty or if it can be proven that the aftermarket device is the direct cause of the failure. The easiest way to check this is to look in your owner’s manual under, “what is not covered”. Under Magnusson-Moss Act a dealer must prove, not just vocalize, that aftermarket equipment caused the need for repairs before they can deny warranty coverage. If they cannot prove such a claim or offer an explanation, it is your legal right to demand compliance with the warranty. The Federal Trade Commission (202 326-3128) administers the Magnusson-Moss Act and monitors compliance with warranty law.
Old 11-26-2015, 06:39 PM

Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts

FRPP has offered Whipple kits for mustangs that would maintain the 3yr/36k, but I'm not sure they offer it for the F150s.
Old 02-25-2016, 01:03 AM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

sub'd
The following 2 users liked this post by Skipper14:
Livoniabob (02-25-2016), MrLaFiddy (02-25-2016)
Old 02-25-2016, 03:11 AM

Received 132 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by WIKDLX
adding aftermarket items does not necessarily "void" your warranty. The manufacturer or dealer has to prove that the modification caused the damage/problem.
The Magnuson-Moss Warranty – Federal Trade Commission Improvement Act of 1975 protects consumers from such fraudulent activity by new car dealers. Under this Act, aftermarket equipment that improves performance does not void a vehicle manufacturer’s original warranty, unless the warranty clearly states the addition of aftermarket equipment automatically voids your vehicle’s warranty or if it can be proven that the aftermarket device is the direct cause of the failure. The easiest way to check this is to look in your owner’s manual under, “what is not covered”. Under Magnusson-Moss Act a dealer must prove, not just vocalize, that aftermarket equipment caused the need for repairs before they can deny warranty coverage. If they cannot prove such a claim or offer an explanation, it is your legal right to demand compliance with the warranty. The Federal Trade Commission (202 326-3128) administers the Magnusson-Moss Act and monitors compliance with warranty law.
As a former ford tech I can tell you as a regular individual you will never get that to hold up with ford. Ford will deny your warranty on the spot and you will have to lawyer up and fight it and you will not win. Now depending on how mod friendly your dealer is you may get some warranty done if you buy from them and have them install the parts. I wouldn't base any aftermarket performance installation on this Magnusson act.
Old 02-25-2016, 07:00 AM

Received 1,556 Likes on 990 Posts

If you install a supercharger then break a piston, then don't expect ford to give you a new engine. Ever. But if your power seats break, then you're still covered. You can, however get a 3rd party warranty with most supercharger kits for about $500. I elected not to, though, as these 2015+ 5.0's have proven to be very stout engines, with failures not happening until the 1000+ hp range.
The following users liked this post:
gi_dukes (02-25-2016)
Old 02-25-2016, 07:45 AM
Lurker

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks for starting the thread.
I have ~1400 miles on my 2016 and I was going to get to about 7500 before installing a whipple.

Ive never owned a supercharged vehicle, and Im ready for the increased cost of higher octane gas. Could anyone enlighten me with other unseen costs of installing one?

Thanks
Old 02-25-2016, 09:22 AM

Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts

Tires... they're the main cost.

Off the top of my head.. plugs, belt(s), and oil changes have to be done more frequently. This all also depends on how you drive it too.
Old 02-25-2016, 05:21 PM

Received 1,556 Likes on 990 Posts

Speeding tickets?
Old 02-25-2016, 05:41 PM

Received 100 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by mwhender
Thanks for starting the thread. I have ~1400 miles on my 2016 and I was going to get to about 7500 before installing a whipple. Ive never owned a supercharged vehicle, and Im ready for the increased cost of higher octane gas. Could anyone enlighten me with other unseen costs of installing one? Thanks
Oil pump gears should be number uno priority on a crank driven blown yote. The 15s do have boss rods so that's a plus for all us supercharging them.

Quick Reply: Whipple supercharger under factory warranty