Topic Sponsor
Performance, Tuning, and (LEGAL) Racing Post discussions about increasing performance, capabilities, and racing. ****WARNING**** Street racing or illegal activities will be removed and potential bans will be handed out.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where did my MPG go?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2018, 05:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where did my MPG go?

Hi all! About 3 months ago I bought a 2017 F150 lariat with the 5.0 V8. The first three weeks I was getting 18.4 MPG. The following week I added tires and rims (33'" nitto ridge grappler), rousch cold air intake, and a flowmaster american thunder dual exhaust cat back system. For the last month I have been only averaging 15.2 MPG according to the trucks fuel economy screen. I understand that I will lose a little with the tires but I thought the CAI and the exhaust would have helped by letting the truck breathe. I'm hoping that a tune will fix this but my confidence isn't too high right now. Just yesterday I received my SCT BDX tuner and I'm waiting for my tune from OZ which I should get on Monday. Any input would be greatly appreciated. One question too, would it be helpful to disconnect the battery and let the truck "reset" due to all of the performance parts I added? Thanks.
Old 11-10-2018, 07:09 PM

Received 428 Likes on 336 Posts

Originally Posted by botacuss
Hi all! About 3 months ago I bought a 2017 F150 lariat with the 5.0 V8. The first three weeks I was getting 18.4 MPG. The following week I added tires and rims (33'" nitto ridge grappler), rousch cold air intake, and a flowmaster american thunder dual exhaust cat back system. For the last month I have been only averaging 15.2 MPG according to the trucks fuel economy screen. I understand that I will lose a little with the tires but I thought the CAI and the exhaust would have helped by letting the truck breathe. I'm hoping that a tune will fix this but my confidence isn't too high right now. Just yesterday I received my SCT BDX tuner and I'm waiting for my tune from OZ which I should get on Monday. Any input would be greatly appreciated. One question too, would it be helpful to disconnect the battery and let the truck "reset" due to all of the performance parts I added? Thanks.
the tires and wheels killed your MPGs
The following users liked this post:
botacuss (11-11-2018)
Old 11-10-2018, 07:19 PM

I figured the tires and wheels would hurt me, but 3 mpg??? I was thinking maybe 1-1.5 MPG. The CAI was added first, and I noticed a little drop with that, which didn't make any sense to me. Then 3 days later, I added the tires and wheels followed by the exhaust the next day. I don't know, I'm still scratching my head over this.
Old 11-10-2018, 07:29 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I figured the tires and wheels would hurt me, but 3 mpg??? I was thinking maybe 1-1.5 MPG. The CAI was added first, and I noticed a little drop with that, which didn't make any sense to me. Then 3 days later, I added the tires and wheels followed by the exhaust the next day. I don't know, I'm still scratching my head over this.
CAI really has no improvement over factory intake besides looks or if you're boosted. A tune should help some but don't expect to get back to 18+ mpg.
botacuss (11-11-2018)
Old 11-10-2018, 07:34 PM

Received 428 Likes on 336 Posts

The wheels and tires weight more - Take more power to turn them.

You also changed your gear ratio, which effects your shift points.

Like I said, that’s where your MPGs went.
botacuss (11-11-2018)
Old 11-11-2018, 11:54 AM
TOTM Sept. '18

Received 3,057 Likes on 1,685 Posts

Did you re calibrate the speedo for the larger tires?

Mike
botacuss (11-11-2018)
Old 11-11-2018, 12:14 PM

No I didn't. I figured the tune I ordered from OZ tuning would take care of that. I'll update the thread after I install the tune. Thanks for all of the info and replies. I'm hoping to get a little closer to 16.5-17 after the tune.
Old 11-11-2018, 12:22 PM
TOTM Sept. '18

Received 3,057 Likes on 1,685 Posts

No I didn't. I figured the tune I ordered from OZ tuning would take care of that. I'll update the thread after I install the tune. Thanks for all of the info and replies. I'm hoping to get a little closer to 16.5-17 after the tune.
The recaliabration will help some when I installed 35" (34.4") tires on mine my speedometer was off by over 3 mph. Unfortunately as other have said bigger heavier tires and wheels kill MPG.

Mike
botacuss (11-11-2018)
Old 11-17-2018, 12:17 PM

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

The tune will help you some maybe 1-2 mpg but your best bet is to ultimately decide where you are going with the truck. If you for see in the future of running 35 inch tires and wheels then you need to go ahead and drop the money and have the truck re geared. Trust me it is money well spent. I am running Yukon 4:56 gears. If i had to do it over agin i would have run 4:10 gears the gearing is extremely short on the 1 to 2 shift, but its still cool to get rubber on the 1-2 shift at low speeds. But if its a daily driver then the 4:10s are more livable.
Old 11-19-2018, 04:07 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Winter gas has made my MPG drop by almost 2 mpg.

Quick Reply: Where did my MPG go?