Topic Sponsor
Performance, Tuning, and (LEGAL) Racing Post discussions about increasing performance, capabilities, and racing. ****WARNING**** Street racing or illegal activities will be removed and potential bans will be handed out.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tuner won't turn off 02 sensors

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2018, 10:32 PM

Received 355 Likes on 201 Posts
Default Tuner won't turn off 02 sensors

So I installed a catted downpipe recently. Catted so as not to void the warranty I purchased with my SCT device through my tuner. I am learning now that my tuner won't turn off the 02's as it is an "emissions controlled component". I was under the impression that this would not be an issue but apparently it is. Any one know of a way to eliminate the 02 sensor CEL without using the tune? Or am I stuck with the CEL.
Old 07-17-2018, 07:43 AM

Received 75 Likes on 48 Posts

Unless the DP has a CARB EO you are already guilty of altering an emissions control device, if it does have an EO (highly unlikely) then your DCMS needs to be recalibrated.

CARB/EPA is starting to come down pretty hard on tuner shops that are defeating emissions devices, you will find that it is only going to get much more difficult in the future...
The following users liked this post:
JimmyD750 (05-09-2022)
Old 07-26-2018, 11:02 PM

Received 897 Likes on 680 Posts

Originally Posted by Threeper88
So I installed a catted downpipe recently. Catted so as not to void the warranty I purchased with my SCT device through my tuner. I am learning now that my tuner won't turn off the 02's as it is an "emissions controlled component". I was under the impression that this would not be an issue but apparently it is. Any one know of a way to eliminate the 02 sensor CEL without using the tune? Or am I stuck with the CEL.
the only aftermarket cats I have heard that don’t cause issues are the Kooks ones.

As as far as the CEL, it sounds like O2 extensions might work. I don’t know the details but have heard a number of success stories.
Old 07-26-2018, 11:22 PM
Ezekiel 25:17

Received 2,371 Likes on 1,215 Posts

Originally Posted by yonson
Unless the DP has a CARB EO you are already guilty of altering an emissions control device, if it does have an EO (highly unlikely) then your DCMS needs to be recalibrated.

CARB/EPA is starting to come down pretty hard on tuner shops that are defeating emissions devices, you will find that it is only going to get much more difficult in the future...
CARB is a Cali only deal...they have no reach outside that state. Having an EO # from them means nothing anywhere else.
chimmike (07-27-2018)
Old 07-27-2018, 06:20 AM

Originally Posted by UNBROKEN

CARB is a Cali only deal...they have no reach outside that state. Having an EO # from them means nothing anywhere else.
Actually there are quite a few other states that follow CARB standards (https://auto.howstuffworks.com/fuel-...nomy/carb4.htm ), and for the states that don't that's where the EPA (Clean Air Act) comes in to play. They haven't been too concerned with gas/performance applications because there was more plentiful lower hanging fruit, however since the VW debacle they have really been taking things a LOT more seriously...
blkZ28spt (08-06-2019)
Old 07-27-2018, 09:42 AM
Ezekiel 25:17

Received 2,371 Likes on 1,215 Posts

Yes, a few other states follow CARB’s lead...but the still have no jurisdiction outside their state.
Old 07-27-2018, 11:09 AM

Received 401 Likes on 229 Posts

Originally Posted by UNBROKEN
Yes, a few other states follow CARB’s lead...but the still have no jurisdiction outside their state.
Yep. The fact that CARB stands for California Air Resources Board is telling.
chimmike (07-27-2018)
Old 07-27-2018, 11:25 AM

That may be the case, however the EPA works VERY closely with CARB and pretty much every vehicle manufacturer these days build all their vehicles to meet CARB standards because of the amount of vehicles that are sold there, having to build different vehicles specifically for the 16 states that follow CARB emissions vs. the rest of the US was costing a lot o extra $$$ which gets passed on to us as consumers...
Old 07-27-2018, 05:31 PM
Senile member

Received 1,048 Likes on 732 Posts

Originally Posted by yonson
That may be the case, however the EPA works VERY closely with CARB and pretty much every vehicle manufacturer these days build all their vehicles to meet CARB standards because of the amount of vehicles that are sold there, having to build different vehicles specifically for the 16 states that follow CARB emissions vs. the rest of the US was costing a lot o extra $$$ which gets passed on to us as consumers...
uh?
lots of vehicles are built for cali-only emissions versus federal.
Old 07-27-2018, 06:25 PM

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,272 Posts

My head hurts.....
OCMike (07-11-2019)

Quick Reply: Tuner won't turn off 02 sensors