Topic Sponsor
Performance, Tuning, and (LEGAL) Racing Post discussions about increasing performance, capabilities, and racing. ****WARNING**** Street racing or illegal activities will be removed and potential bans will be handed out.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tire size changed to 35 inches

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2019, 12:00 PM
Mr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire size changed to 35 inches

Hello

First of all I would like to introuduce myself as I am new here , my name is Aram and I am from Kurdistan-Iraq, Nice to meet you all and Im sure I will be enjoying reading the most interesting topics about the F150. But for now I have some questions to ask about my 2010 f150 5.4l xlt lifted 2.5” upgraded tire size from factory 31” to 35” bfgoodrich ko2 AT tires and a volant cold air intake . my questions are
1. I have axle ratio code H9 which is the 3.55 ls and 145 wheel base so do I have to regear to 4.10 or I can recorrect the pcm with a custom tune ? and that way I do not have to regear ?
2. if I regear what are the steps do I have to do I mean the diff housing has enough room ? will it be a derect fit ?
3. after regearing to 4.10 what would it be different to the factory 3.55 ls and basically what I should exept from the 4.10 like fuel , performance, mpg and so,,,
thank you very much.

Last edited by Aram Abdullah; 01-31-2019 at 12:16 PM.
Old 01-31-2019, 07:00 PM

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

Not an expert on this at all but I’m about to switch to 35” tires also and I’m almost positive you won’t need a410 rear end for that size
Old 01-31-2019, 07:10 PM

Received 355 Likes on 201 Posts

Welcome.

A tuner will help quite a bit so you can adjust the computer to your tire size. This will get your shift schedule back on track. Your transmission can also be tuned which well help you get moving quicker.

The best option is to re-gear as well as get a tune IMO. 4.10's or even 4.56 will be a huge improvement and will put less stress on your transmission. Get the correct gears for your 8.8 or 9.75 rear. They will drop right in but the install you should be done by an experienced professional.

Performance will be greatly improved. You will lose some MPG depending on how much freeway driving you do. But as most anyone who re-gears will tell you, the MPG is very much worth it.
Old 02-01-2019, 10:34 AM
Mr

Default Threeper88

Thank you for your replay on this, but how can I tune the trani ? I mean is there a spread computer for the trani itself ? Also could you tell me how many parts do I need to re gear ? then do I have to re-gear the front as well ???? this is all my concerns because im out of the states that is why I want make sure to get the right parts and kits and I have to look for it online then give the link to a company who can buy the item/kit then deliever it to me and charging me lots of $$$ and it’s my responsibility if the part is wrong so I have to be careful.

Last edited by Aram Abdullah; 02-01-2019 at 10:38 AM.
Old 02-01-2019, 10:35 AM
Mr

Default mmwest

Thank you for replaying
Old 02-01-2019, 11:23 AM

Any tuning company you buy a tune from will have a transmission tune included with the engine tune.

If you are 4WD you will need gears for both the front and rear, as well as an install kit. Run a search on this forum about regearing. There is a lot of good information. The most important thing here is to make sure whoever you have install the gears is very experienced and knows what they are doing. If you have any doubts about the installer I recommend not doing the regear. Wait until you find a good mechanic to do it.

Getting a tune (and the device to do it) will be significantly cheaper than regearing so I suggest you do that first and see if you still want to regear after.
Old 02-01-2019, 12:39 PM
Mr

Default Threeper88

Thank you very much and I will take your advice on this matter and I will be diging more to it yes its 4x4 pakage so I need rear and front too,, I get a very poor gas milage its like 10 mpg since I have the 35 tires so I will be tuning it for sure and I saw some motive gear kit on ebay that I think its a good deal but I was not sure about the fitment here it is if you would like to see it https://www.ebay.com/itm/4-10-RING-A...05f9%7Ciid%3A1
Old 02-01-2019, 02:50 PM

That is a very cheap price. So cheap I would avoid it. Doesn’t mention the brand of any of the components that I can see.

For perspective I paid $1300 USD for my front and rear gears with install kits.

Probably best to avoid ebay for something like this. You’ll want quality parts from a reputable source. The install will be expensive and it needs to be done very precisely. It’s easy to screw up and you only want to do it once.

Also, if you do end up doing this, there is a break-in procedure you’ll want to follow closely.
Old 02-02-2019, 08:56 AM
Mr

Default Threeper88

I really appriciate your help it mean alot to me right now have decided to leave the re-gearing for now becuse it cost too much and can not afford it but as you suggested I might go with the tuning option and that will bring more questions like
1. which tuning device is really good tuner for my turck ???
2. can I use a pre owned tuner / unmarried or married ???
5 star or MPT ???

thanks.
Old 02-02-2019, 01:55 PM

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

Not sure the difference but I chose the MPT after doing minimal research.

Quick Reply: Tire size changed to 35 inches