Topic Sponsor
Performance, Tuning, and (LEGAL) Racing Post discussions about increasing performance, capabilities, and racing. ****WARNING**** Street racing or illegal activities will be removed and potential bans will be handed out.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Test & Tune success...sort of....

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2019, 01:58 AM

Received 260 Likes on 191 Posts

Default Test & Tune success...sort of....

Best pass of the evening was a 11.98 @ 114 with a 1.70 60' time. I'm happy to get a sub 12 second time slip, however it's apparent that there needs to be a transmission shift update. The truck shifted first to second at about 5800 rpm only, and then the rest of the shifts took place a little over 6k, probably around 6200 or so. I believe the reason is that the transmission tuning was done on the dyno, and there wasn't (isn't) enough resistance to keep the rpm's from spinning up too fast, making it difficult to shift in time. (on the dyno) As a result, they set the shift points much lower than necessary for the track. With no slippage at the track, there's no issue with the transmission shifting in time, so it was short shifting all night.

I believe there's at least a few tenth's available with a transmission shift re-calibration. Anyway, I'm happy that it went under 12 seconds, and I think it'll go much lower.

I also never saw ait2f's over 95 degrees at the end of the 1/4, so heat soak on this truck isn't an issue. It was a pretty busy night as there were a horde of street cars making passes. I got in three passes and could have done four, however it's apparent it won't go much faster without a tune revision, so I opted not to do a fourth pass.

I also enjoyed talking to Chad (BadCon), Xavier(Ecks) and Joshua(One Slow 5.0). It will be fun to see One Slow 5.0's truck when he's got it up and going. It should be a real beast. There's still some 3 valve love out there (One Slow 5.0's truck). I plan to go out again as soon as the tune is revised, hopefully in just a couple of weeks, before temps start getting unbearable. We had a lot of fun, and nothing broke!!
The following 2 users liked this post by rojizostang:
chimmike (03-23-2019), Ecks (03-23-2019)
Old 03-23-2019, 05:13 AM

Received 366 Likes on 250 Posts

Was a fun night, thank you to all who showed up and hopefully everyone made it home ok. It was great talking to everyone and seeing the passion, and I can't wait to see Joshua's truck in action. I had fun smoking the hell out of a GT500, and then I got smoked by a motorcycle who ran in the 9's lol. That race with Ecks was great....if he wasn't lugging around an extra 700lbs or so it'd been a different outcome for sure. A couple observations and reflections I had tonight.

#1. A custom tuned, Whipple charged F150 with the 10r80 is a ****ing beast...Ecks rolls in there with a crew cab truck lifted on 35" tires and lays down an 11.99. He did this while never turning the truck off, no special prep, and he even had child seats in the back. His truck also doesn't make any noise, so the announcer commented that it was an ecoboost lol. I watched all sorts of Mustangs and Camaros run crap times last night, all the while a full size and full weight F150 put them to shame.

#2. The Dragy Performance Meter is diabolically accurate...more of you should get one so we can all race over the interwebs! Seriously, every run me and Ecks did the Dragy was accurate to the 100th as compared to the time slips. I even recorded a video of my last run....I love this device.

#3. Transmission tuning is critical, and it really makes the difference....I picked up 4 tenths by simply loading a tune with better transmission shift logic. Transmission tuning is also frustrating, as its hard to capture in a single data log. My truck shifts beautifully 99% of the time, but its that 1% that I always fail to capture that could really make the difference for my tuner. After getting home I went out to capture a couple more data logs of a simulated 1/4th run. First run I smacked into the limiter again...second run I didn't. Of course I only captured the second run....
I like my tuner, but I'm tired of the secrecy surrounding all the little changes and "updates" he does after I send him a data log or voice a concern. Its difficult to have a constructive conversation over the course of the entire tuning process when one side of the conversation is speaking with no knowledge of what the other is doing. I tell him I'm hitting the limiter in first gear, and he sends me a revision that is shifting out of first at 5500rpm. That is not what I wanted....hell, I don't even know what my rev limiter actually is?! This isn't a gripe at my tuner, most of them are this way....afraid to leak the recipe to the secret sauce for fear their counterparts will make a tastier tune burger. But holy crap, telling someone you added a degree of timing, or shaved 200rpm off a shift point, isn't going to suddenly make them a master tuner who will steal all your business. /end rant.

Overall it was a fun night, and there were some cool cars there. I'll be going again for sure!

Last edited by BadCon; 03-23-2019 at 05:35 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by BadCon:
chimmike (03-23-2019), Ecks (03-23-2019), OCMike (03-23-2019)
Old 03-23-2019, 06:43 AM

Received 212 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by rojizostang
Best pass of the evening was a 11.98 @ 114 with a 1.70 60' time. I'm happy to get a sub 12 second time slip, however it's apparent that there needs to be a transmission shift update. The truck shifted first to second at about 5800 rpm only, and then the rest of the shifts took place a little over 6k, probably around 6200 or so. I believe the reason is that the transmission tuning was done on the dyno, and there wasn't (isn't) enough resistance to keep the rpm's from spinning up too fast, making it difficult to shift in time. (on the dyno) As a result, they set the shift points much lower than necessary for the track. With no slippage at the track, there's no issue with the transmission shifting in time, so it was short shifting all night.

I believe there's at least a few tenth's available with a transmission shift re-calibration. Anyway, I'm happy that it went under 12 seconds, and I think it'll go much lower.

I also never saw ait2f's over 95 degrees at the end of the 1/4, so heat soak on this truck isn't an issue. It was a pretty busy night as there were a horde of street cars making passes. I got in three passes and could have done four, however it's apparent it won't go much faster without a tune revision, so I opted not to do a fourth pass.

I also enjoyed talking to Chad (BadCon), Xavier(Ecks) and Joshua(One Slow 5.0). It will be fun to see One Slow 5.0's truck when he's got it up and going. It should be a real beast. There's still some 3 valve love out there (One Slow 5.0's truck). I plan to go out again as soon as the tune is revised, hopefully in just a couple of weeks, before temps start getting unbearable. We had a lot of fun, and nothing broke!!
Oh man if you were shifting that early, I'm sure there's plenty left. For you. Great 60' time too. Aren't you 2wd?
Old 03-23-2019, 06:51 AM

Received 212 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by BadCon
Was a fun night, thank you to all who showed up and hopefully everyone made it home ok. It was great talking to everyone and seeing the passion, and I can't wait to see Joshua's truck in action. I had fun smoking the hell out of a GT500, and then I got smoked by a motorcycle who ran in the 9's lol. That race with Ecks was great....if he wasn't lugging around an extra 700lbs or so it'd been a different outcome for sure. A couple observations and reflections I had tonight.

#1. A custom tuned, Whipple charged F150 with the 10r80 is a ****ing beast...Ecks rolls in there with a crew cab truck lifted on 35" tires and lays down an 11.99. He did this while never turning the truck off, no special prep, and he even had child seats in the back. His truck also doesn't make any noise, so the announcer commented that it was an ecoboost lol. I watched all sorts of Mustangs and Camaros run crap times last night, all the while a full size and full weight F150 put them to shame.

#2. The Dragy Performance Meter is diabolically accurate...more of you should get one so we can all race over the interwebs! Seriously, every run me and Ecks did the Dragy was accurate to the 100th as compared to the time slips. I even recorded a video of my last run....I love this device.

#3. Transmission tuning is critical, and it really makes the difference....I picked up 4 tenths by simply loading a tune with better transmission shift logic. Transmission tuning is also frustrating, as its hard to capture in a single data log. My truck shifts beautifully 99% of the time, but its that 1% that I always fail to capture that could really make the difference for my tuner. After getting home I went out to capture a couple more data logs of a simulated 1/4th run. First run I smacked into the limiter again...second run I didn't. Of course I only captured the second run....
I like my tuner, but I'm tired of the secrecy surrounding all the little changes and "updates" he does after I send him a data log or voice a concern. Its difficult to have a constructive conversation over the course of the entire tuning process when one side of the conversation is speaking with no knowledge of what the other is doing. I tell him I'm hitting the limiter in first gear, and he sends me a revision that is shifting out of first at 5500rpm. That is not what I wanted....hell, I don't even know what my rev limiter actually is?! This isn't a gripe at my tuner, most of them are this way....afraid to leak the recipe to the secret sauce for fear their counterparts will make a tastier tune burger. But holy crap, telling someone you added a degree of timing, or shaved 200rpm off a shift point, isn't going to suddenly make them a master tuner who will steal all your business. /end rant.

Overall it was a fun night, and there were some cool cars there. I'll be going again for sure!
Badcon. I completely feel your frustrations and have been sort of going through something similar. I'm not looking to uncover the secret code. I just want to have a conversation about MY truck.
Old 03-23-2019, 08:37 AM

Received 428 Likes on 336 Posts

Sounds like y’all need to get a new tuner
Old 03-23-2019, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by blue5.0
Oh man if you were shifting that early, I'm sure there's plenty left. For you. Great 60' time too. Aren't you 2wd?
yep, 2wd. If I can get a kitchen pass, I'm heading over to MaxV and talking to them about a revision. I don't think it'll be necessary to put it back on the dyno or anything, just have them adjust all the shift points upwards and then make another trip to the track.

I was so stoked after getting home last night that I couldn't sleep....I stayed up until after 3am. Making passes at the strip is a true adrenalin rush. I drank two beers and took 9 milligrams of melatonin and still couldn't sleep, and when I did finally go to sleep I woke up at 6:45!! But it was worth it, lol.
Old 03-23-2019, 09:43 AM

Received 226 Likes on 138 Posts

What tires are you running? 1.7 is pretty good for 2wd if you are on streets.
Old 03-23-2019, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by crankinaway
What tires are you running? 1.7 is pretty good for 2wd if you are on streets.
Mickey Thompson 3576's. 315/50/17 drag radial on 17x8.5 take off Raptor wheels. First pass off idle did a 1.76. Third pass I stalled it to about 1k and dropped psi's to about 21lbs and it did the 1.7. Second pass was crap, as I brake stalled it to about 1.6k with 25lbs of air in the tires, and it spun hard off the line and shifted directly into second gear within about 10 feet. One guy said it ran a 12.31 on that pass but I didn't even pick up the time slip so I didn't know what it ran.

;
Old 03-23-2019, 09:56 AM

Oh I'm sure it probably helps to have a 5 gallon intercooler resevoir sitting by the tailgate. In addition, there's no overload springs on the truck, and I'm running the VAS flip kit traction bars. Also I have the slam air bags on the back with about 10lbs of air in them. Shocks are the CalMax drop shocks....certainly not ideal for racing.

FYI I don't daily drive this truck anymore as I also have a '17 Supercab 5.0.
Old 03-23-2019, 01:31 PM

Received 801 Likes on 530 Posts

Hell of a fun time fellas. Ended up getting a flat as soon as I pulled in my driveway

Quick Reply: Test & Tune success...sort of....