Topic Sponsor
Performance, Tuning, and (LEGAL) Racing Post discussions about increasing performance, capabilities, and racing. ****WARNING**** Street racing or illegal activities will be removed and potential bans will be handed out.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Taming the 4" Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2018, 11:27 PM
Blown Member

Received 185 Likes on 152 Posts

Default Taming the 4" Exhaust

I had a 4" Diamond Eye exhaust on my 2013, a 4" MBRP exhaust with a Magnaflow 30" long body muffler on my 2016 and the same 4" MBRP with the small MBRP muffler that came with it on my 2018. They were all loud some more that others and all had that super low tone drone.

The volume order from loudest to quietest are as follows: MBRP, Diamond Eye and Magnaflow. The MBRP was really loud ( but sounded awesome), the Diamond Eye was pretty loud and the Magnaflow was just loud. The Magnaflow was the longest and biggest around straight thru muffler I could find. The Magnaflow was so long it barely fit my regular cab.

All of them were more than I wanted to deal with on a daily driver. I researched more and found the Heartthrob muffler. Not only did it make good gains on the ecoboost 3.5 and 2.7 it was reviewed as not overly loud. They only made 4 hp with the naturally aspirated 5.0. At least they were honest about it,

I called Heartthrob and they just came out with a new design on the big round HVS muffler. The HVS muffler has always had 3 chambers but they made changes to the 1st and 3rd chambers to knock down any drone. The 1st chamber went from a louvered 4" pipe to a solid pipe with a smaller tuning pipe welded on at a 90 degree angle. The 3rd chamber has a louvered 4" pipe but gets a white fiber packing. The middle chamber is unchanged with 2 wings cut out of the center metal plate forming a V shape kind of like Flowmaster but different. The body is 10" across (big) and double wrapped steel to knock down more sound.

It sounds awesome. A cross between a Flow and a Maggie but leaning more toward the Flow. The super low brain rattling tones gone. It sounds off when going into the throttle but when cruising you hardly hear it.
Finally!

Old 07-13-2018, 12:09 AM
Blown Member

I am running a 4" exhaust because my 2016 and 2018 5.0 are supercharged. A single 4" pipe flows as much as a dual 2.66" pipes. That should get the job done.
Old 07-13-2018, 09:07 AM
Ezekiel 25:17

Received 2,371 Likes on 1,215 Posts

I run a single 3.5” Stainless Works...I put 2 of their mufflers in-line plus a resonator to take it down. The whole damn exhaust is mufflers. lol
Old 07-14-2018, 09:39 AM

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,215 Posts

Been running a Pypes 4 inch on my EB 2.7 since new. No resonator and a large straight thru muffler, side exit after rear tire.
Sound is such a subjective thing, mine can be kitten quiet transitioning to a roar depending on throttle position and load. Never have I considered it boomy or having resonance in my RCSB XL.
Out of curiosity any opinion on this sound clip inside the cab? GoPro mounted on steering column, radio volume 10, various gears and speeds, Maybe my idea of annoying resonance is that much different.
When I purchased the choice was between Pypes and Hearthrob 4 inch on sound, at the time Hearthrob only listed steel no SS. I use no polished tip but do terminate the exhaust an inch past the fender edge.

Last edited by 2017bluetruck; 07-14-2018 at 09:46 AM.
Old 07-14-2018, 10:13 AM

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,215 Posts

Forgot to mention, when first installed I used the dressy tip right after the axle but it did not extend past the fender line. That was too boomy for my taste, so I used an extra piece of straight to replace the polished tip extending it past the body. Much better interior sound.

Old 07-15-2018, 09:47 AM
Senile member

Received 1,048 Likes on 732 Posts

yeah there are some videos online of the 4" aluminized heartthrob for the 3.5 ecoboost. I would actually consider it, especially for the price. Sound is good, it's really rather quiet (not stock-quiet but close) and flows plenty.
Old 07-15-2018, 04:50 PM
Blown Member

Here is a video of my Frankenstein exhaust. MBRP 4" stainless exhaust pipe, Heartthrob 4" (1014067) Aluminized Muffler and Ebay Black exhaust tip. I had to cut and downside the video to fit the 5mb limit on here.

This is a cold crank which is louder and the take off was still cold. The revs at the end are when it was starting to warm up. You can tell the sound is quieter and deeper as it gets warmer.

Attached Files
File Type: avi
HeartthrobSmall.avi (4.06 MB, 145 views)
The following users liked this post:
OCMike (07-17-2018)

Quick Reply: Taming the 4" Exhaust