Topic Sponsor
Performance, Tuning, and (LEGAL) Racing Post discussions about increasing performance, capabilities, and racing. ****WARNING**** Street racing or illegal activities will be removed and potential bans will be handed out.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Superchips F5 1845 initial review for 2.7 F150

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2020, 12:09 PM

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Superchips F5 1845 initial review for 2.7 F150

First and foremost, why'd I choose Superchips? Well, the price of course. It's one of the cheapest tuners you'll find. $339 for the Superchips Flashpaq on Amazon, the next closest comes from SCT, either the BDX or X4 are both $399. While the SCT (BDX) allows you to buy and download custom tuning along with the preloaded software, the Superchips doesn't and only comes with the preloaded canned tunes. While you can update your device, the tunes are the tunes and you only get so much adjustment.

The reason I purchased this tuner was for it to turn up the boost slightly and make the shift points higher and firmer. Boy, was I disappointed. The device's preloaded (yes I updated the programer) 93 performance tune seemed to use the stock shift points and pressure and has absolutely no adjustment in any of it's advanced options. First and second shifts are at 5500, third at 5200, fourth at 5000. It's baffling that with everything turned off it still shifts early and soft. Superchips claims 40hp and 70ft tq with the 93 octane tune. Their Dyno sheet shows STD smoothing 5, so there doesn't seem to be anything funny going on there and it seems to be the average of what most tuning companies are claiming with a 93 octane tune. It also has a few of the forscan actions built it, should you want them. Autostart/stop can be disabled, Tire pressure sensors, you can turn them off or change their pressures, and of course tire size, rear gear ratio tuning to make your speedometer correct, you can change the time your lights stay on after locking the truck, you can change if the first unlock, unlocks the drivers side only or unlocks all of the locks, and you can change the time on how long your autostart stays on.
​​​
Overall for those not chasing insane performance gains and want to keep the stock drivability with a bit more mid rpm grunt, it's worth it, there's also a 87 octane tune, towing tune(requiring 91+ octane), XS mileage tune (requiring 87 octane), 91 & 93 performance tunes, and of course you can put it back to stock.

I plan to update this post as I go along and use the other tunes on this device. So far I've only used the performance tune on the street, I will eventually compare it to the stock tune at the track, probably a average of 3-5 runs each to get a good sampling.

But the XS Mileage tune is next on my list to try.

I'll let you know how it goes and update you as I can,
Carlos
The following users liked this post:
Keithmlvn (07-08-2020)
Old 07-07-2020, 06:05 AM

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Mileage XS

So I went on a small round trip with the stock tune installed, averaged 26.5 mpg, installed the Mileage XS tune, did the same trip at the same speeds and averaged 30.0 mpg. I can't wait to go through a entire tank with this tune, it's much more impressive than the performance tune. I only really drive on the weekends and will continue to update this as I go. I was hoping to get to the drag strip to compare stock vs the performance 93 tune as well as shifting the truck manually (shifting at 6,000) vs using the shift points provided Superchips.

Eventually I'd like to get the 5 star tuner with custom tunes and do a one to one comparison on all fronts, both performance and efficiency oriented, maybe even pay for a Dyno day but that's yet to be seen as of yet.

If you've any questions feel free to PM me or simply message me here and I'll try to get back as soon as possible.

Carlos
The following users liked this post:
Keithmlvn (07-08-2020)

Quick Reply: Superchips F5 1845 initial review for 2.7 F150