Topic Sponsor
Performance, Tuning, and (LEGAL) Racing Post discussions about increasing performance, capabilities, and racing. ****WARNING**** Street racing or illegal activities will be removed and potential bans will be handed out.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SCT X4 data logging without laptop

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2019, 11:38 AM

Received 246 Likes on 196 Posts

Default SCT X4 data logging without laptop

Is that possible?
looking at the 5 Star Site (my tunes) it says you need the laptop.

However, X4 has a datalog option. But it looks like it can’t record all the items on the five star site.

just looking for feedback from others that have data logged.
Old 03-16-2019, 12:14 PM

Received 260 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by rsylvstr
Is that possible?

However, X4 has a datalog option. But it looks like it can’t record all the items on the five star site.

I tried datalogging for 5 star the same as you with my x4, and found it confusing also to select all the proper pid's that they said they wanted. I tried it, downloaded the file and sent it to them and they said it wasn't usable. I pretty much made a full 1/4 mile pass but they said they only wanted a 3rd gear pull, but I gave up on it and went with a custom local tune via hptuners
Old 03-16-2019, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by rojizostang
I tried datalogging for 5 star the same as you with my x4, and found it confusing also to select all the proper pid's that they said they wanted. I tried it, downloaded the file and sent it to them and they said it wasn't usable. I pretty much made a full 1/4 mile pass but they said they only wanted a 3rd gear pull, but I gave up on it and went with a custom local tune via hptuners
thanks

after reading pages on Bama tunes and a Mustang forum, I’m thinking data logging isn’t in my future.

My work laptop wont let me install the necessary program as my personal laptop runs Vista (which I love) and is really never used.

Considering my truck is stock other than an after-cat electric exhaust cutout, I don’t see what gains I would get logging.

Local dyno tuner here is $650-800 for one tune. One octane.
Old 03-16-2019, 12:25 PM

Received 212 Likes on 174 Posts

Is that possible?

Are you asking if you need a computer with you on board in the vehicle while performing the log? Or if a computer is necessary to create the file and download it to your device?
Old 03-16-2019, 12:38 PM

And it sucks we can’t see what tune is loaded.
They have a Post on their site that says it shows, but this means nothing to me when I have the 87 perf/Tow tune installed.

Should use the same same name as tune.

Old 03-16-2019, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by blue5.0
Are you asking if you need a computer with you on board in the vehicle while performing the log? Or if a computer is necessary to create the file and download it to your device?
I used my desktop to download the five custom tunes to my X4. They loaded fine.

Specifically to logging, either one.

I read on those two sites you can do it with a deaktop, but gathering all the specific parameters requested by the tuner can be difficult to impossible.

Being stock, would I gain much going through all that trouble?
Old 03-16-2019, 02:17 PM

Received 366 Likes on 250 Posts

You can datalog with an X4, and you can also load custom configuration files to datalog the PID's your tuner requests. You just need Live Link to create the custom configuration file, and SCT Device Updater to load it onto the device. the X4, BDX, and GTX can all datalog. I use my GTX exclusively to datalog, and it works fine....no complaints from my tuner. His tune came with the necessary configuration file for data logging, but I ended up making my own in live link and using that without issues.

EDIT

I misunderstood. I thought you had issues putting the laptop in your truck but my second pass through it sounds like you have no other computer but either your work laptop or your personal with Vista, and you cannot run LiveLink and SCT Device Updater at all. If that is the case, then yes....you will be unable to load the configuration file necessary to data log the parameters requested by your tuner.
Did you buy the device preloaded by them? When I got my device, my tuner had already loaded the datalogging configuration file required.

Last edited by BadCon; 03-16-2019 at 02:36 PM.
Old 03-16-2019, 02:38 PM

Received 366 Likes on 250 Posts

You in New York? B&H Photo is based there. Here is a the cheapest Windows 10 laptop they have, $150, and it'll let you run SCT software.
The following users liked this post:
rsylvstr (03-16-2019)
Old 03-16-2019, 03:09 PM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

Livelink runs on Vista, here's a link to d/l it https://az824306.vo.msecnd.net/softw...ink_Gen-II.exe

Source: https://www.sctflash.com/Products/so.../advantage-iii

Personally I've never used it as my truck runs perfect with all the tunes I have, If I were racing my truck or running her hard all the time/towing I would most likely datalog just to be safe.

Livelink has a guided interface to help in using it.

rsylvstr (03-16-2019)
Old 03-16-2019, 03:17 PM

Received 212 Likes on 174 Posts

I used my desktop to download the five custom tunes to my X4. They loaded fine.

Specifically to logging, either one.

I read on those two sites you can do it with a deaktop, but gathering all the specific parameters requested by the tuner can be difficult to impossible.

Being stock, would I gain much going through all that trouble?
Ask 5 star to create a log/file for you. From there you can upload to the device and log on the fly, then it's easy to transfer that data to your comp via Livelink
rsylvstr (03-16-2019)

Quick Reply: SCT X4 data logging without laptop