Topic Sponsor
Performance, Tuning, and (LEGAL) Racing Post discussions about increasing performance, capabilities, and racing. ****WARNING**** Street racing or illegal activities will be removed and potential bans will be handed out.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

S&B Cold Air Intake - Haters not invited.

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2018, 05:42 PM

Received 1,025 Likes on 733 Posts

Talking S&B Cold Air Intake - Haters not invited.

Putting aside the value discussion regarding intakes... They are proven to add some power to the coyote on the mustang, and they certainly add to the look, sound and experience of driving a tuned vehicle.

I want some sound, but not as loud as the conventional open topped types as they can be annoying when heavy towing. The only true cold air intakes appear to be the PMAS and the S&B. The S&B appears a lot higher quality with the full intake tract that replaces all the stock parts. The PMAS has a larger tube and has made dyno proven horsepower, (on a dyno, hood up, VS just a tune).

I have decided to burn some cash and try the S&B, as it is in my opinion the only true cold air option, and the price is a wash vs PMAS. JLT looks good, prolly too loud imo for this application, and is going to draw a lot of under hood head, and heat soak sucks on the coyote. I do think dyno testing really reflects optimum conditions, as the hoods are open, hence my bias towards a sealed unit.

Anyone else have an S&B on the 2nd or 3rd gen 5.0? S&B in general? Anything I missed regarding the PMAS and JLT?

And to the haters, just resist the temptation to bash and leave the thread intact, thanks.
Old 12-22-2018, 10:14 PM
Ezekiel 25:17

Received 2,371 Likes on 1,215 Posts

I like S&B....Installed a ton of them on personal vehicles and when I was running a shop. Well made and fit great every time.
Old 12-22-2018, 10:49 PM

Received 428 Likes on 336 Posts

Whipple uses s&b filters
Old 12-23-2018, 09:38 AM

Received 260 Likes on 191 Posts

I like your original post so much that you should start a catch can thread also, just to uninvite those haters!!
The following users liked this post:
isthatahemi (12-26-2018)
Old 12-23-2018, 03:20 PM

Default Thanks for the feedback!

Good to hear they are decent - the price point for what they sell had me questioning, as it was the same price as JLT, except it has the full intake scoop and lid.

And ya, I don’t go tell the fuzzy dice plasti-dip left lane clogging boring farts my thoughts on the value of their pursuits, seems certain items inspire a lot of conviction. I like most others just happen to like a bit of noise, power and character. There’s no justifying what it costs.....
Old 12-26-2018, 12:12 AM

Received 158 Likes on 103 Posts

I know many will think this is a waste, but the one thing I don't like about my Whipple is the lame CAI setup. I keep thinking I want to buy one of the S&B kits and see if I can adapt it to fit the whipple intake tube. I figure I could Amazon one and see what the potential fit-up options look like. If I get it and it looks like a complete no go, I could just send it back.
The following 2 users liked this post by RayoVac:
OCMike (12-26-2018), robbieg (09-26-2019)
Old 12-26-2018, 09:47 AM

Received 612 Likes on 439 Posts

Having looked through a bunch of them, what about the banks? It looks like a super nice improvement over the OEM style cold air.

https://5startuning.com/product/2015-2019-f150-5-0l-banks-power-ram-air-intake-system-41888/
Old 12-26-2018, 10:38 AM

Received 205 Likes on 131 Posts

I really like the S&B, but I'm not too keen on oiled cotton gauze filters anymore. I know they make one with a disposable filter but I'm wondering if there's a dry media filter that would fit it.

As for the banks- Looks pretty nice but I'm not sure how it's any more "ram air" than any other intake with that scoop. Looks really simple for $310 too.
Old 12-26-2018, 10:44 AM

The Banks option looks like another true cold air option. I hadn't seen that when I ordered, however, it looks to have a smaller airbox/ filter arrangement. The airbox volume on the S&B might help slightly?
What sealed the deal on the S&B for me was the Canadian company / quasi-local ordering option, US companies are so hit and miss when they ship up here. I'm definitely a tad jealous of all the option in the US, and so often free shipping.
Old 12-26-2018, 08:50 PM

Received 612 Likes on 439 Posts

Originally Posted by ghunt81
I really like the S&B, but I'm not too keen on oiled cotton gauze filters anymore. I know they make one with a disposable filter but I'm wondering if there's a dry media filter that would fit it.

As for the banks- Looks pretty nice but I'm not sure how it's any more "ram air" than any other intake with that scoop. Looks really simple for $310 too.
They're all 299-300ish bucks honestly. That's the only reason i don't own one. That and they really don't do anything at all on an ecoboost besides look a little nicer under the hood.

Quick Reply: S&B Cold Air Intake - Haters not invited.