Topic Sponsor
Performance, Tuning, and (LEGAL) Racing Post discussions about increasing performance, capabilities, and racing. ****WARNING**** Street racing or illegal activities will be removed and potential bans will be handed out.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

question de jour lol

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2019, 06:24 PM

Received 260 Likes on 191 Posts

Default question de jour lol

I am looking for opinions on switching to the 72mm pulley on my 2013 roush supercharged f150.

chris at 5 star says stock roush 47lb injectors and stock fuel pump are sufficient.

I would like to hear the opinions of others on the forum in that regard.

i'm just not ready to do the e85 thing, not yet. everyone's opinion is welcome, good bad or otherwise. thanks.

don't hold back...yackity yack
Old 04-15-2019, 06:29 PM

oh and is the pulley as easy to swap as it looks?
Old 04-15-2019, 08:58 PM

Received 72 Likes on 42 Posts

Had a 72mm on my 14. I used the 47lb injectors but added a VMP BAP just to be safe. Never had an issue.
Old 04-15-2019, 09:20 PM

I appreciate your input.
Old 04-15-2019, 09:21 PM

Received 366 Likes on 250 Posts

VMP says the 47lb injectors are done by 600whp, and that’s at a super high duty cycle. The more duty cycle you need the less margin for error their is, and if an injector gets lazy due to age or contaminants, there goes that cylinder.

You are running a reduced RPM and you are also running the stock gt500 throttle body, and that will lesson your fuel requirements, so you should be able to get by with the 47lb injectors.
However my tuner wanted both injectors and a pump with the 72mm pulley, with his reasoning being he’s not in the business of blowing up motors and you can never have enough of a safety factor. However I’ve spun the thing all the way to 7800rpm with a big mouth throttle body, which is is exponentially harder on things then say 6500rpm.

There of course is another option, and that is the 56lb injectors from the stock 13/14 trinity powered cobras. Those are cheap, and can be used with some height adapters, and can be had for less then $400. I myself had planned to use those, and bought some from VMP last year when I was going to have them tune my truck. However I sent it all back when they took too long with the tune, and the rest is history.

I think you’ll be ok as is, but I would trust your tuners suggestion far more then mine....it’s not my truck or money.

Last edited by BadCon; 04-15-2019 at 09:23 PM.
Old 04-15-2019, 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by rojizostang
oh and is the pulley as easy to swap as it looks?
10 minutes tops, just use a bungee to keep tension on the belt so it doesn’t fall off the other pulleys. Torque is super low on those blower pulley bolts, 10lbs or so. Cross cross pattern with blue loctite.
Old 04-15-2019, 09:32 PM

I was all set to go for the 80lb ford racing injectors until you informed me about some tuners not liking them. I will have to ask Matt what he thinks of them from his experience. I also have seen low impedance and high impedance injectors and don't know which ones are required. Those (if I looked at the right ones), can be had for around $400 also, I think. I probably won't ever make the jump to e85 (at least anytime soon), so I'm going to do it without purchasing the high dollar ones.

If 47lb injectors are borderline, then I will step up to a bigger better injector.

would theses be the right injectors if I went with the ford 80lb injectors?
http://www.buyfordracingfromdpm.com/...tors-set-of-8/

Last edited by rojizostang; 04-15-2019 at 09:37 PM.
Old 04-15-2019, 10:31 PM

Received 212 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by rojizostang
I was all set to go for the 80lb ford racing injectors until you informed me about some tuners not liking them. I will have to ask Matt what he thinks of them from his experience. I also have seen low impedance and high impedance injectors and don't know which ones are required. Those (if I looked at the right ones), can be had for around $400 also, I think. I probably won't ever make the jump to e85 (at least anytime soon), so I'm going to do it without purchasing the high dollar ones.

If 47lb injectors are borderline, then I will step up to a bigger better injector.

would theses be the right injectors if I went with the ford 80lb injectors?
http://www.buyfordracingfromdpm.com/...tors-set-of-8/
Keep in mind you were at 505rwhp on a Mustang dyno. Readings on a dynojet could easily be closer to 565ish. Mustang dynos typically read about 12% lower. So if the injectors are at max at 600 on a dynojet you'd be pretty close.
Old 04-15-2019, 10:33 PM

Those appear to be the right ones for the 80lb. That same site has the 13/14 injectors for $219, which is a nice price. They are listed as 52lb, but at Coyote fuel pressure are actually 56lb injectors...at least that is how VMP uses/sells them.

The concern with the 80lb is drivability. I’ve heard some people complain about them, but others say they are fine...but go with whatever your tuner is comfortable with, they afterall, are the ones that will make it all work, and a larger injector is never really a bad thing.
Old 04-15-2019, 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by BadCon
Those appear to be the right ones for the 80lb. That same site has the 13/14 injectors for $219, which is a nice price. They are listed as 52lb, but at Coyote fuel pressure are actually 56lb injectors...at least that is how VMP uses/sells them.

The concern with the 80lb is drivability. I’ve heard some people complain about them, but others say they are fine...but go with whatever your tuner is comfortable with, they afterall, are the ones that will make it all work, and a larger injector is never really a bad thing.
yes I was reading a thread over at svtforum and I've decided like you said, the 80lb injectors are probably not what I want

13/14 f150 injectors, 52/56lb for $219? I was looking at the ones you posted in the other thread, deatschwerk 95lb injectors and they sound pretty stout and thoroughly matched. but for $219 I may have to investigate those.

Quick Reply: question de jour lol