Topic Sponsor
Performance, Tuning, and (LEGAL) Racing Post discussions about increasing performance, capabilities, and racing. ****WARNING**** Street racing or illegal activities will be removed and potential bans will be handed out.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Octane booster, and its effects on a supercharged Coyote

Old 07-09-2019, 11:13 AM

Received 366 Likes on 250 Posts
Default Octane booster, and its effects on a supercharged Coyote

Hello fellow boosted truck owners,

The purpose of this thread is going to be a long term experiment on various over the counter and "professional" octane boosters, using my 2016 supercharged 5.0 F150 as a guinea pig. My goal is to compare the knock resistance and maximum data logged timing of various octane boosters as used with a repeatable real world treatment rate. I plan on comparing two sets of octane booster type products, over the counter (OTC) and professional (Race), in ways that will highlight ones effectiveness over the other. The first set will be OTC products, or those products intended for daily or regular use, and the second set will be professional products, or those marketed for usage in a "racing" scenario. The testing methodology will be similar for both sets of products, but a simulated 1/4th mile drag pull will be added to the testing regime for the professional products using my Dragy device, which provides accurate repeatable results. The goal is to find the product that shows the highest ignition timing with the least amount of recorded knock, and also the product that shows the fastest acceleration for the given conditions.

The platform in use is my above described supercharged 5.0, with a Roush 2.3l TVS blower running a 72mm pulley, with peak boost around 13psi. The truck also has a large twin 67mm throttle body, DW400 fuel pump and 95lb fuel injectors, running through an AFE catless y-pipe into a single 3" exhaust. The truck has not been on the dyno since the fuel system was upgraded, but is estimated to be around 600whp as configured. Palm Beach Dyno (PBD) recently tuned the truck, and it is their tune and its rather aggressive and adaptive ignition timing profile which prompted this experiment. I have two unique tunes for the truck, a 93 octane street tune which has an available 18.5 degrees of timing, and a race tune which has an available 24 degrees of timing and is intended for 100 octane or greater. The street tune will be used for all over the counter product testing, and the race tune will be used for the professional products.

Prior to envisioning this study, and while data logging my PBD tune, I ran back to back runs on my street tune, with and without an octane booster. During simulated 1/4th drag pulls using my dragy device, I recorded a substantial increase in ignition timing (about 2 degrees), a major reduction in knock, and a better 1/4th mile and trap speed after adding 16oz of Boostane Premium to 12 gallons of 93 octane. This was proof of concept to me, and the substantial increase in recorded spark advance during the above listed pass showed my current tunes eagerness to take advantage of higher octane levels, even with the relatively "mild" street tune.

This is not a scientific study and there is undoubtedly going to be some variability. I will do my best to document the differences between each individual test and to finalize a repeatable and relatable testing methodology, but any readers should take this information at face value. I will also do my best to ascertain the active ingredients in each product to be tested as well, though most of these products are proprietary and this information may not be available (Post #9).
As a fair warning, this is a long term study and it will take me awhile to get through all the products I plan to test...probably a good 6 months or so. I do not drive all that much, and the nature of the test requires full tanks of gas be ran between each test to prevent cross contamination of the results.

OTC products I have plans to test:
Lucas Octane Booster (Tested post #21)
Royal Purple Octane Booster (Tested post #16)
STP Octane Booster
Gumout Octane Booster
104+ Octane Boost
NOS Octane Booster

Professional products to be tested:
Torco Accelerator
Boostane Professional
Boostane Premium
Race Gas Concentrate
VP Octanium Unleaded

Products I will not test:
Anything with lead or any form of actual racing gas for which I am not tuned.

Method:
This test will rely on my engines two knock sensors and ECU logic to determine the safest level of spark advance as calculated by load and knock readings.
A general check of the engines health will be conducted prior to any testing, including a check of all spark plugs to ensure proper gap.
All data logs will be recorded using my SCT GTX device, using the same configuration file. All data logs will be downloaded and reviewed using SCT's Live Link software, and photographs of the logs will be captured using the Microsoft Windows Snipping Tool.
Data files of importance:
Spark advance
KR (knock)
IAT2 temperature
Load
RPM
Engine coolant temperature

All testing will be done using 93 octane fuel from the same Valero gas station. One tank of unaltered gasoline will follow between each octane booster product tested.

Comparisons between each product will be done by looking at the maximum degrees of timing recorded, the average degrees of timing through the data log, and the total KR (Knock) recorded, as well as any performance metrics recorded using the Dragy device. Other variables will be recorded to ensure the environmental factors are similar between each set of data logs.
Products will be ranked based on #1. The highest average and peak spark advance recorded through the log. #2. The lowest KR recorded through the log, both peak and average. #. The fastest recorded acceleration as recorded via the Dragy device, with attention given to recorded density altitude during any acceleration run.

OTC Products:
Using an approximate 25 mile stretch of road from my residence to the nearest town, I will depart with only 93 octane in my tank, and allow adequate time for all engine temperatures to stabilize. I will then record at least two back to back pulls from approximately 2500rpm to 7000rpm in 3rd gear while recording a data log to measure knock, spark, and other important values. Upon arriving in town, I will download the data log and proceed to a designated Chevron gas station where I will mix the OTC octane booster product to the recommended treatment rate on the bottle. If extra fuel is necessary for this mixture, it will be purchased at the Chevron. I will then drive around town for approximately 10 to 15 minutes to allow adequate time for the product to mix with the fuel. I will then return to my residence on the same 25 mile stretch of road, where at least two additional 2500rpm to 7000rpm data logs will be recorded, this time with the octane booster product in the fuel. Upon arrival home the data log will be downloaded the results posted within this thread.

Professional Products:
The testing procedure for the professional product will be mostly the same as the OTC products, except the professional octane boosters will all be mixed 1 can to approximately 10 gallons of fuel. Then during testing a simulated 1/4th mile drag pass will be recorded with my dragy device, so any performance improvement can be noted.

Last edited by BadCon; 07-25-2019 at 05:10 PM.
The following 5 users liked this post by BadCon:
68injunhed (07-10-2019), Bigcat1185 (07-12-2019), Ecks (07-09-2019), OCMike (12-26-2019), Summers22 (08-18-2019)
Old 07-09-2019, 11:42 AM
Blown Member

Received 185 Likes on 152 Posts

Sounds like a well thought out plan. Go for it!
Old 07-09-2019, 11:43 AM

Received 612 Likes on 439 Posts

Awesome, looking forward to results.

From testing myself on my truck i know for a fact that boostane, octanium and torco work as they say, and the royal purple one works as well, but it's not enough to do more than a few octane points and costs the same as some of the others so it seems ridiculous.
Old 07-09-2019, 11:55 AM

Received 1,556 Likes on 990 Posts

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/thr...3#post-2417296
Old 07-09-2019, 11:57 AM

Received 1,556 Likes on 990 Posts

Fwiw I found the KR to be inconsistent from pull to pull, one rpm vs another, one gear vs another. One pass might have more negative kr in the mid range and another might have more up top. You almost have to make multiple pulls of each trial and average the data. Hard to compare total timing too since it’s a function of so many different things.

Last edited by engineermike; 07-09-2019 at 11:59 AM.
Old 07-09-2019, 12:08 PM

Received 75 Likes on 48 Posts

You should log spark source as well, in case you hit CPL which will then show the same spark if you hit it (CPL) on multiple additives...
Old 07-09-2019, 12:16 PM

Received 530 Likes on 373 Posts

Wouldn't it make more sense to mix for a desired octane based on the manufacturer's recommendations?

I'm saying that because many of these products are available in different size containers.

Boostane Premium and Professional, for example, are the same chemical compound in different size bottles. The 32oz Professional bottle is certainly going to increase octane more than the 16oz Premium bottle.

Why not use enough of each product to hit something like 102 octane based on what the manufacturer recommends and do the test based on that?

I am curious to see the results though. I use Boostane Premium when running my 94 octane performance tune and mix it with a target of 95-96 octane. Doesn't add much to the cost of filling my 38 gallon tank and gives a nice safety net in case I get a fill that's less than 93 from the pump. Truck runs great!
Old 07-09-2019, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by sholxgt
Wouldn't it make more sense to mix for a desired octane based on the manufacturer's recommendations?

I'm saying that because many of these products are available in different size containers.

Boostane Premium and Professional, for example, are the same chemical compound in different size bottles. The 32oz Professional bottle is certainly going to increase octane more than the 16oz Premium bottle.

Why not use enough of each product to hit something like 102 octane based on what the manufacturer recommends and do the test based on that?

I am curious to see the results though. I use Boostane Premium when running my 94 octane performance tune and mix it with a target of 95-96 octane. Doesn't add much to the cost of filling my 38 gallon tank and gives a nice safety net in case I get a fill that's less than 93 from the pump. Truck runs great!

Boostane premium and Professional are different compounds, as premium does not scale well past 100 octane. No matter what you use it for, Professional ends up being cheaper as per Boostane's mixing instructions it always takes less pro to reach the same desired octane.

As for mixing to a desired octane, I cannot do that with the OTC products as none of them provide any mixing charts or ratios. It is this group of products which I'm primarily interested, and the goal of this test is to detect any tangible impact on knock/spark....basically a pass fail sort of test. Basically I want to know if I could dump one of the OTC products in my tank should I ever be caught in an area where there is crappy gas.

The professional level products offer a mixing chart, and I could mix them to a desired octane. None of them scale together, so it would be a question of price per octane level at that point. I think mixing in a full can will show the maximum potential of any given booster, and there is enough timing advance on my race tune to really test them that way. However I've not finalized that portion of testing yet and will be doing the OTC products first to avoid to many flashes back and forth on my ECU. All of the pro products come in 32oz cans except for Boostane premium, which per their own marketing is more an OTC product. So I might include its testing with other OTC products...I already have the log completed for that one anyways.
Old 07-10-2019, 01:50 PM

I rounded up the first batch of products yesterday, to include Royal Purple Max-Boost, Lucas Octane Booster, STP Octane Boost, and Gumout Octane Booster.

Royal Purple Max Boost is advertised to increase octane by up to 30 points or three numbers when mixed with unleaded gasoline. The directions state it can be mixed with 15 to 25 gallons of gasoline, though it does not provide an octane rating chart or any specific mixing instructions other then to avoid mixing anymore then 1 can with up to 25 gallons of fuel. Royal Purple advertises the product as an octane booster, fuel stabilizer, fuel system cleaner, and lead substitute. Royal Purple claims the active ingredient to be MMT, Methylcyclopentadienyl manganese tricarbonyl. I know from using this product in the past that it will leave an orange tint on plugs and piston tops, which indicates the presence of MMT.
The material safety data sheet shows the ingredients to be <1% MMT and >90% petroleum distillates. Royal Puple claims this product is safe for catalytic converters and oxygen sensors, but states it is not street legal.
Cost: $13 at most auto parts stores.

Lucas Octane Booster is advertised as being an octane booster and upper cylinder lubricant that is 3x more potent than other brands. Lucas states one (15oz) bottle treats up to 25 gallons of leaded or unleaded gasoline. Lucas claims the product is safe for oxygen sensors and catalytic converters, but also states it is not street legal. Lucas does not give specifics on the active ingredients, but the safety data sheet shows the active ingredients to be 1-5% MMT and 30-60% solvent naptha. From my own research this product is supposedly very effective, and can increase octane roughly 3 numbers when added to 25 gallons of fuel. I've found information stating roughly 1.28 ounces of Lucas to 1 gallon of fuel increases octane by three numbers, but I've also found information stating 3 ounces of Lucas to 5 gallons of fuel raises octane by 3 numbers.
Cost: $7.49 at Walmart

STP Octane Booster is advertised as boosting octane and cleaning the fuel system. No other specifics are provided and there is no mention of any active ingredients. STP states the product is "barely street legal." My research indicates anecdotal information that this product boosts octane approximately 1 number, or 10 points. STP states one 5.25oz bottle treats 21 gallons of fuel. The MSDS indicates this product contains numerous active ingredients, but most importantly lists <4% MMT, <1% MCMT, <4% PEA (Polyolefin alkyl phenol alkyl amine), <2% Trimethylbenzene, and 0-95% kerosene. There are other ingredients listed on the MSDS, but these stuck out to me. The product claims to boost octane and clean the fuel system, and with MMT and PEA as ingredients it should be able to do both those things. PEA is a good fuel system and carbon cleaner, and is the main ingredient in most major fuel brands cleaning additives....Techron, V-Power, etc.
Cost: $3.74 at Walmart.

Gumout Octane Booster is advertised to boost octane. Gumout claims the product is safe for oxygen sensors and to add 1 10 ounce bottle to 15 gallons of gasoline. The MSDS lists the active ingredient as 60-100% solvent naptha, and .1-1% 1,2,4 Trimethylbenzene, and .1-1% 1,2,5 Trimethylbenzene. My research indicates trimethylbenzene is commonly used as a lubricity enhancer and cleaner in fuel additives and is also known as Toluene, which has octane boosting properties. There is no MMT in this product, and this can also be confirmed by the packaging which is clear plastic (MMT breaks down quickly when exposed to UV) No other information is available, and I was unable to locate any substantive tests or reports on this product. This product was the cheapest and if I had to guess will be the least effective.
Cost: $2.94

Last edited by BadCon; 07-16-2019 at 03:56 PM.
Old 07-10-2019, 03:11 PM

Received 612 Likes on 439 Posts

Originally Posted by engineermike
Fwiw I found the KR to be inconsistent from pull to pull, one rpm vs another, one gear vs another. One pass might have more negative kr in the mid range and another might have more up top. You almost have to make multiple pulls of each trial and average the data. Hard to compare total timing too since it’s a function of so many different things.
I think, IMO, that fuel systems should be trying to bias the DI blend over 65% if they are going to stick to pump 93. Of course the large XDI fuel pump by itself costs more than an entire Fore fuel system, but if you're doing that fuel system it's because you're running ethanol anyways, which would make port injection blend not matter anyways.

IMO, after seeing things happen to boosted 18+ motors, we do not tune 18+ boosted setups without them using an additive when running 93 100% of the time or just straight up using pump e85 from around here.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Octane booster, and its effects on a supercharged Coyote