Topic Sponsor
Performance, Tuning, and (LEGAL) Racing Post discussions about increasing performance, capabilities, and racing. ****WARNING**** Street racing or illegal activities will be removed and potential bans will be handed out.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Noob to tuning. Few questions about devices.

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2018, 03:41 PM

Received 67 Likes on 51 Posts
Default Noob to tuning. Few questions about devices.

2017 2.7L 6 speed. Never tuned a truck but interested. Would mainly use a tune for fuel economy. Throughout my reading, I’m finding out that 87 economy tunes don’t offer much improvement but a 91 eco does. I’ve also read that an 87 or 91 PERFORMANCE tune will met me both better mpg AND performance. If that’s the case, do I run the performance 91 tune instead of the 91 economy? Remember, I’m mostly looking to gain mpg. I do a 150 mile drive twice a week. With my 35s and a level, right now I’m at 18mpg hand calculated.

ive read that Livernois(spelling??) has the best TUNES. Well what is the bet tuner? Are there certain units that are better(easier to use) then others?

Old 06-11-2018, 04:41 PM

Received 645 Likes on 352 Posts

Most companies you can use SC, Bullydog, Ngauge etc and get custom tunes for your truck. Once you get the programmer you can chose and load tunes from different companies. Livernois uses a proprietary tuner MyCal I believe its called, so youll be locked into using Livernois (I dont see that as a bad thing though).
Old 06-11-2018, 05:41 PM
F150 Forum

Received 546 Likes on 334 Posts

Originally Posted by Jack Anthony Rook
2017 2.7L 6 speed. Never tuned a truck but interested. Would mainly use a tune for fuel economy. Throughout my reading, I’m finding out that 87 economy tunes don’t offer much improvement but a 91 eco does. I’ve also read that an 87 or 91 PERFORMANCE tune will met me both better mpg AND performance. If that’s the case, do I run the performance 91 tune instead of the 91 economy? Remember, I’m mostly looking to gain mpg. I do a 150 mile drive twice a week. With my 35s and a level, right now I’m at 18mpg hand calculated.

ive read that Livernois(spelling??) has the best TUNES. Well what is the bet tuner? Are there certain units that are better(easier to use) then others?

We do offer some phenomenal custom tunes for your truck in performance and towing specific versions that are available in 87, 89, 91, and 93 octane versions. We can also write optional tunes for things like even higher 100+ octane unleaded race fuel, E85 blends (where supported), disabling the engine's automatic Stop / Start, and can also write economy specific tunes as well. Most customers report seeing an average of 1-2 MPG better on most all of our tunes depending on how they drive, but not all vehicles are in the same condition so this can vary from one vehicle to the next. I personally prefer the 91 and 93 octane performance tunes for the all around best balance of performance and efficiency all combined in one tune! That way you can have your cake and eat it to without having to pull over and switch tunes when you decide to have a little more fun.

As another member on here already mentioned, we do have our own proprietary tuning device which is called Mycalibrator or Mycal for short. The Mycal tuners can hold up to 4 custom tunes of your choice along with a 5th stock tune and also include lifetime support for future tune updates, changing to a different combination of tune choices, and even for additions of new performance modifications to your truck that may require further calibration changes as well so long as you own it. But no we do not support other companies tuning devices. Feel free to give us a call, PM, or email if you'd like to discuss this further or to place an order as well and we would be happy to help out.

313-561-5500 ext 1
tuning@livernoismotorsports.com

Here is a link to the Mycal tuner for your truck on our website for more information or to place an order as well. https://www.livernoismotorsports.com/product/LPP631127

Also here is a link to one of our most popular Level 1 performance packages for your truck that was also featured on an episode of Truck Tech on Powernation TV https://www.livernoismotorsports.com/product/LPP663110

Originally Posted by Johnny_bravo00
Most companies you can use SC, Bullydog, Ngauge etc and get custom tunes for your truck. Once you get the programmer you can chose and load tunes from different companies. Livernois uses a proprietary tuner MyCal I believe its called, so youll be locked into using Livernois (I dont see that as a bad thing though).
Thank you very much for the kind words guys!
Old 06-11-2018, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by Livernois Motorsports
We do offer some phenomenal custom tunes for your truck in performance and towing specific versions that are available in 87, 89, 91, and 93 octane versions. We can also write optional tunes for things like even higher 100+ octane unleaded race fuel, E85 blends (where supported), disabling the engine's automatic Stop / Start, and can also write economy specific tunes as well. Most customers report seeing an average of 1-2 MPG better on most all of our tunes depending on how they drive, but not all vehicles are in the same condition so this can vary from one vehicle to the next. I personally prefer the 91 and 93 octane performance tunes for the all around best balance of performance and efficiency all combined in one tune! That way you can have your cake and eat it to without having to pull over and switch tunes when you decide to have a little more fun.

As another member on here already mentioned, we do have our own proprietary tuning device which is called Mycalibrator or Mycal for short. The Mycal tuners can hold up to 4 custom tunes of your choice along with a 5th stock tune and also include lifetime support for future tune updates, changing to a different combination of tune choices, and even for additions of new performance modifications to your truck that may require further calibration changes as well so long as you own it. But no we do not support other companies tuning devices. Feel free to give us a call, PM, or email if you'd like to discuss this further or to place an order as well and we would be happy to help out.

313-561-5500 ext 1
tuning@livernoismotorsports.com

Here is a link to the Mycal tuner for your truck on our website for more information or to place an order as well. https://www.livernoismotorsports.com/product/LPP631127

Also here is a link to one of our most popular Level 1 performance packages for your truck that was also featured on an episode of Truck Tech on Powernation TV https://www.livernoismotorsports.com/product/LPP663110

Thank you very much for the kind words guys!
so you offer performance and towing but not economy? I understsnd that most people want more power and performance from their truck. If that was the case I would’ve stuck with my 6.2 Raptor. I want as best fuel economy as I can get. I understand running 35s and a level makes my mpg take a hit, I just want to make sure I’m running at the most optimum setting lol
Old 06-12-2018, 09:09 AM
F150 Forum

That is understandable. I actually had mentioned in the post that we can also write optional tunes for things like even higher 100+ octane unleaded race fuel, E85 blends (where supported), disabling the engine's automatic Stop / Start, and can also write economy specific tunes as well. So we could write an economy specific tune no problem, they just are not as popular because the performance tunes typically help out with mileage and don't sacrifice performance to do so. But it's all user preference which is why we offer a wide variety of tunes to suite different customer's needs.

Last edited by Livernois Motorsports; 06-12-2018 at 09:11 AM.
Old 06-12-2018, 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by Livernois Motorsports
That is understandable. I actually had mentioned in the post that we can also write optional tunes for things like even higher 100+ octane unleaded race fuel, E85 blends (where supported), disabling the engine's automatic Stop / Start, and can also write economy specific tunes as well. So we could write an economy specific tune no problem, they just are not as popular because the performance tunes typically help out with mileage and don't sacrifice performance to do so. But it's all user preference which is why we offer a wide variety of tunes to suite different customer's needs.
thank you for clarifying!!! My old man eyes often fail me except when looking at women!
The following users liked this post:
Majestic12 (08-23-2019)
Old 06-12-2018, 05:24 PM
F150 Forum

Originally Posted by Jack Anthony Rook

thank you for clarifying!!! My old man eyes often fail me except when looking at women!
No problem, happy to help out! I have a feeling you would fall in love with how well the truck drives with the performance tuning. But the tuners can hold up to 4 tunes at once, so we would have no problem sending tunes for economy, performance, towing, and even have a more aggressive 93 Race tune as well. Feel free to give us a call if you'd like to discuss it further too, I personally prefer telephone conversations for people that are new to tuning in case other questions or concerns come up that I can help answer.

Quick Reply: Noob to tuning. Few questions about devices.