Topic Sponsor
Performance, Tuning, and (LEGAL) Racing Post discussions about increasing performance, capabilities, and racing. ****WARNING**** Street racing or illegal activities will be removed and potential bans will be handed out.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

new guy here. 2018 Whipple SC issues.

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2019, 05:55 PM

Received 337 Likes on 122 Posts
Default new guy here. 2018 Whipple SC issues.

Greetings F150 community. I currently own a 2018 F150 and I installed the stage 2 whipple kit over the weekend. Install took about 10 hrs and was pretty easy and straight forward. I'm a 14yr Mercedes-Benz master tech so I know my way around a wrench. My concerns are that I have the updated closed airbox and the fitment is terrible. I'm shocked and it seems like this was a last minute after thought. I ended up installing 2 thread-serts into the core support to mount the scoop to the support. The oem clips would not hold as the molding is off. I feel also that the hood is hitting the air scoop. The actual airbox screws are about an inch too short as well. Also i'm getting a check engine light after 2 key cycles. ( 2282 fault if I remember correctly) basically the fault code is stating I have a vacuum leak from the booster to the TB. I have a feeling this is an erroneous fault and I have no driveabilty concerns. am I missing anything? I will be contacting whipple tomorrow so I can get additional info. other than that the truck is bone stock with only 2400 miles. I only live 30 mins from palm beach dyno so i'm thinking in the future of going down a pulley size and getting a custom tune but for now the truck is a beast as it sits. again welcome everyone.
Old 03-17-2019, 06:07 PM

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Other people with the new airbox have the same issues with fitment. I hope whipple corrects this immediately.
Old 03-17-2019, 10:17 PM

Received 428 Likes on 336 Posts

I believe you can warm the scoop up with a heat gun and move the part that is hitting
Old 03-18-2019, 07:10 AM

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Who on here is close to Dustin and can let him know the issue?
Old 03-18-2019, 07:34 AM

Received 428 Likes on 336 Posts

Just call or email him.
Old 03-18-2019, 09:25 AM

thanks for the responses so far. as of now I'm not too concern with the airbox. installing the (2) 5mm thread-serts into the core support allows me to install an actual fastener and really pull it down. My issue is this damn fault code 2282 ( intake leak it detected between the throttle body and the intake valves. ) I either have an actual leak or the MAP sensor harness is plugged in wrong. We have a really nice evap smoke tester at work so I will smoke the intact tract this evening. also I already noticed in south florida the H/E like to get heat soaked quick. I will probably install a killer chiller as it worked wonders on my lightning. I also order a huge heat sink that I'm going to mount to the bottom of the intercooler reservoir. I also reviewed the entire whipple thread here on the forum and found some really good info.
Old 03-18-2019, 09:41 AM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by malloy
thanks for the responses so far. as of now I'm not too concern with the airbox. installing the (2) 5mm thread-serts into the core support allows me to install an actual fastener and really pull it down. My issue is this damn fault code 2282 ( intake leak it detected between the throttle body and the intake valves. ) I either have an actual leak or the MAP sensor harness is plugged in wrong. We have a really nice evap smoke tester at work so I will smoke the intact tract this evening. also I already noticed in south florida the H/E like to get heat soaked quick. I will probably install a killer chiller as it worked wonders on my lightning. I also order a huge heat sink that I'm going to mount to the bottom of the intercooler reservoir. I also reviewed the entire whipple thread here on the forum and found some really good info.
It's funny how we both ended up doing the same thing with the new airbox... I just used 1/4-20 threaded inserts.

I would suspect you have a leak somewhere if you are getting that code. I do have an annoying whistle at part throttle, but it sounds like something pre-whipple. No CELs and it runs fine though, so I am not going to worry about it.
Old 03-18-2019, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by smdandb2
It's funny how we both ended up doing the same thing with the new airbox... I just used 1/4-20 threaded inserts.

I would suspect you have a leak somewhere if you are getting that code. I do have an annoying whistle at part throttle, but it sounds like something pre-whipple. No CELs and it runs fine though, so I am not going to worry about it.
Yea, seemed like the simplest solution where did you run the small breather port in the intake tube. the large port goes to the left valve cover breather. I capped the smaller one as I doesn't go to anything. .
Old 03-18-2019, 10:03 AM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by malloy
Yea, seemed like the simplest solution where did you run the small breather port in the intake tube. the large port goes to the left valve cover breather. I capped the smaller one as I doesn't go to anything. .
Same. The instructions Whipple still provides are for the old intake, which only had one port. They gave me pictures of where the lines go with the new intake and if I remember right it would require a new OEM hose or two because some of the ones you hack up are not needed to be hacked anymore.

I've had no issues running with the small port capped.
Old 03-19-2019, 04:32 PM

Just an update to my fault code p2282, the throttle body gasket was pinched on the bottom of the TB causing a leak. I starting watching my actual values on the scanner and found the load duty cycle during idle over 45% and fuel trims were out of spec. a quick visual inspection and I found the seal hanging out of the bottom of the throttle body.. I got that fixed and all is well. I was seeing 22mpg on the highway last night cruising at 70mph. Also I have a dyno appointment with palm beach dyno next Wednesday for a custom 93 tune via HP tuners. Should I just go down 1 pulley size now or stay with the 3.750. after this tuning session I will be leaving the truck alone for awhile. thanks in advance.

Last edited by malloy; 03-19-2019 at 04:38 PM.

Quick Reply: new guy here. 2018 Whipple SC issues.