Topic Sponsor
Performance, Tuning, and (LEGAL) Racing Post discussions about increasing performance, capabilities, and racing. ****WARNING**** Street racing or illegal activities will be removed and potential bans will be handed out.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MPT and Oz....2017 5.0 F150

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2018, 11:23 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default MPT and Oz....2017 5.0 F150

I'm a new member but I've read pleny of everyone's insite on different things. I just wanted to give my opinions on the few tunes that I have got in the last 2 weeks to help anyone thinking about getting a tune. I have a 2017 5.0 f150 super crew cab 2wd. My first tune was from MPT which was the PRX-93. When I first got it, I couldn't tell a huge difference over stock. From what I've been reading from other posts, it was this bad a## tune. I emailed MPT and they revised the tune to what I told them what I was expecting. I installed the tune and and went for a test drive. I was driving kind of easy at first for a few miles to let my engine and transmission warm up before I got on the accelerator to hard. I could already tell they adjusted the shifting to my liking. After a few miles, I turned around in a parking lot to head back home. A big box truck was in front of me and I was doing about 15 or 20 mph and I stomped on the gas to pass him and my tires broke loose and my rearend got a little squirrelly and threw me into the back of my seat. I was excited and scared all at the same time. All I could think is, how the hell can a tune do this. I would have gotten one a long time ago. I spent the next few days basically burning up my tires and gas. Love this tune!(Not the price of 93 gas though) Next I loaded up the Oz Omega Tune and went for a test drive. To be honest, I like this tune a little more than the 93 PRX tune. I like the shifting more and everyday drivability with it. It does add power, just not quite as much as the MPT 93 tune. It will chirp tires too. Now if you put it in sport mode, its a whole another animal! I had 93 octane gas with this tune also, so I'm not sure how 87 will be. At least I don't have to change tunes to find out though. I never tested the 93 PRX tune in sport mode, I just realized that while typing. I may have to go load it back up in the truck and test it out tomorrow. The last tune that I got is the 87 PRX tune. I loaded it up this morning. I still have 93 octane in my truck so it may have changed the way it would actually be with 87 octane. Its been raining here most of the day but every time I got on the 87 tune at low speeds, I still broke the tires loose. My starting test point is at 20 mph after I saw what the 93 PRX tune did at 20mph. By the way, the oz omega tune did not break the tires loose at 20 mph.(super fast though!) The 87 PRX tune did break the tires loose at 20mpg but it was wet roads though. Ill try again tomorrow if the roads are dry. Just to let y'all know, I have a flowmaster exhaust with resonator delete and a cold air intake. Hopefully this will help out anyone thinking about getting a tune. I highly recommended getting a MPT 93 prx tune just to keep in the arsenal for fun! I recommend the OZ Omega tune for everyday driving. Cant give any advice on the 87 PRX tune yet because I havent used it long enough yet. Maybe someone else that reads this will have some different opinions or advice for other tunes. I would love to try out a ghost lope tune but I cant find anybody that offers them for this truck.
Old 12-11-2018, 12:16 AM
TOTM Sept. '18

Received 3,057 Likes on 1,685 Posts

Originally Posted by Colorado26
I'm a new member but I've read pleny of everyone's insite on different things. I just wanted to give my opinions on the few tunes that I have got in the last 2 weeks to help anyone thinking about getting a tune. I have a 2017 5.0 f150 super crew cab 2wd. My first tune was from MPT which was the PRX-93. When I first got it, I couldn't tell a huge difference over stock. From what I've been reading from other posts, it was this bad a## tune. I emailed MPT and they revised the tune to what I told them what I was expecting. I installed the tune and and went for a test drive. I was driving kind of easy at first for a few miles to let my engine and transmission warm up before I got on the accelerator to hard. I could already tell they adjusted the shifting to my liking. After a few miles, I turned around in a parking lot to head back home. A big box truck was in front of me and I was doing about 15 or 20 mph and I stomped on the gas to pass him and my tires broke loose and my rearend got a little squirrelly and threw me into the back of my seat. I was excited and scared all at the same time. All I could think is, how the hell can a tune do this. I would have gotten one a long time ago. I spent the next few days basically burning up my tires and gas. Love this tune!(Not the price of 93 gas though) Next I loaded up the Oz Omega Tune and went for a test drive. To be honest, I like this tune a little more than the 93 PRX tune. I like the shifting more and everyday drivability with it. It does add power, just not quite as much as the MPT 93 tune. It will chirp tires too. Now if you put it in sport mode, its a whole another animal! I had 93 octane gas with this tune also, so I'm not sure how 87 will be. At least I don't have to change tunes to find out though. I never tested the 93 PRX tune in sport mode, I just realized that while typing. I may have to go load it back up in the truck and test it out tomorrow. The last tune that I got is the 87 PRX tune. I loaded it up this morning. I still have 93 octane in my truck so it may have changed the way it would actually be with 87 octane. Its been raining here most of the day but every time I got on the 87 tune at low speeds, I still broke the tires loose. My starting test point is at 20 mph after I saw what the 93 PRX tune did at 20mph. By the way, the oz omega tune did not break the tires loose at 20 mph.(super fast though!) The 87 PRX tune did break the tires loose at 20mpg but it was wet roads though. Ill try again tomorrow if the roads are dry. Just to let y'all know, I have a flowmaster exhaust with resonator delete and a cold air intake. Hopefully this will help out anyone thinking about getting a tune. I highly recommended getting a MPT 93 prx tune just to keep in the arsenal for fun! I recommend the OZ Omega tune for everyday driving. Cant give any advice on the 87 PRX tune yet because I havent used it long enough yet. Maybe someone else that reads this will have some different opinions or advice for other tunes. I would love to try out a ghost lope tune but I cant find anybody that offers them for this truck.
Welcome to the forum....Glad you're happy with your tune. BTW when you post if you break the post down into paragraphs it's much easier to read. That's why you probably didn't get any replies.

Good Luck!

Mike
Old 12-14-2018, 10:12 AM
Official HTT Greeter

Received 328 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by Colorado26
I've not personally tried MPT, but I've talked to many that have their tunes and all are happy and we pretty much all agree this point. MPT pushes a little harder but isn't quite as comfy for a relaxed DD, Omega is flexible and more mild mannered but no slouch either. Both are an improvement over the soft mush that is the stock tune/shift strategy.
Old 12-14-2018, 10:51 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The shifting is the best part! I forgot to post the update for the 87 mpt tune that I started at 20mph on dry pavement and slammed the accelerater to the floor and it did break the tires loose a little.(not as much as the 93 tune though.) I had OZ tune firm up my shifts a little more and throttle and its perfect now!

Quick Reply: MPT and Oz....2017 5.0 F150