Topic Sponsor
Performance, Tuning, and (LEGAL) Racing Post discussions about increasing performance, capabilities, and racing. ****WARNING**** Street racing or illegal activities will be removed and potential bans will be handed out.

Motor Blown - 2018 5.0

Old 04-15-2019, 03:25 AM

Received 112 Likes on 84 Posts
Default Motor Blown - 2018 5.0

So my 2018 F150 with barely 8000 miles on it has recently been running a little rough. Almost a shudder of sorts at low RPMs... pretty much feel it below 2000 rpm but smooths out a bit as you go higher. Since it seemed to only do it under load, I thought it might be the transmission maybe torque convertor or something.

Today I had to run to Lowes for like the 3rd time (ya know typical projects around the house). When I started it, it seemed a little rougher then it has been. On the way to Lowes I noticed the shudder more. Again very apparent under load around 1500 rpm or less. On the way home from Lowes it got worse. Less than a mile from the house and I was accelerating (not real heavy, but enough I guess) and I heard what sounded like a hose blowing under the hood, then smoke started rolling from under the truck on the driver side.

Limped it very carefully home, watching temps and dummy lights. When I got it into the garage, there was some oil on the drivers side exhaust manifold, and I can see what looks like cork or gasket material sticking out from the middle of the drivers side head (cover?) right near the oil dip stick tube.

I don't see any "windows" no oil other then the bit that was on the frame from when it was running and probably blew, no coolant on the ground or anything like that.

And yeah, before I get beat up... I am a big boy, I rolled the dice on a Stage 2 Whipple and was running the 3.625 pulley on 93 with an Oz Tune. But, I honestly don't tromp on it much at all. Regardless it's all water under the bridge now.

What would my next steps be? Is it boost that blew this? What would the shudder have been before the gasket puked out? What other problems could I anticipate given the engine would run perfectly smooth in neutral or park and would rev without anything odd. I could notice a very, very subtle call it "roughness" at idle in park, that you had to really know the truck and pay attention to pick up on.

Looking for any reasonable advice, next steps etc. And if you are here just to give me **** about blowing up a new truck, I have enough to deal with right now... and would kindly ask you to reserve your comments for a later time when I might be more receptive to taking some reasonable crap for this.

Thanks in advance,

Rayo

Last edited by RayoVac; 04-18-2019 at 09:53 PM. Reason: Change Title
Old 04-15-2019, 03:27 AM

Ohh and I also noticed the dip stick might be jacked on the end... I don't remember that twist on the very end and there is some roughness to the edge of the steel in that twisted area. Can anyone pull their stick.. does it look like this at the end??? Maybe it was always like this and now I am paranoid....

Old 04-15-2019, 06:04 AM

Received 1,399 Likes on 865 Posts

That looks like a valve cover gasket, not the head. And, I believe all of these dipsticks are like that.

if I were you, Id run it at idle with the oil fill cap off. See how much air/exhaust is puffing out of the fill hole. If its a lot then you might have a piston problems. Then do a compression check.
Old 04-15-2019, 06:19 AM
rodent aviator

Received 49 Likes on 30 Posts

The roughness in idle is probably tune related. Leak appears to be an unsealed gasket.
Old 04-15-2019, 11:03 AM

Received 147 Likes on 111 Posts

1st. Dipstick is completely normal...they all have the twist.
2nd. Oil leak is a valve cover casket, and is in no way responsible for your current roughness issues.
3rd. Blown head gaskets are easy to check for, and there are several indications. Changing oil levels, changing coolant levels, white smoke out the exhaust (a lot of it), bad compression, and as another poster mentioned, pull the radiator cap and look for puffs of air or smoke coming out of the cap.

I'm willing to bet you did not blow a head gasket, but instead might have fallen victim to the issues that plague 2018+ 5.0 engines. Have the cylinders scoped and look for scuffing, do a compression and leakdown test, and record a data log and send it off to OZ Tuning so they can check the tune. I'd also change the gas to a fresh tank of 93 to remove bad gas as a variable. Also check and re-gap your spark plugs. Boost is hard on plugs and the gaps can open up in short order with an aggressive tune and high boost.

*edit* I missed the part about the noise. Check for vacuum leaks, look at the bypass valve vacuum hoses and with the engine on and hood up try to track down the noises you are hearing.

Last edited by BadCon; 04-15-2019 at 11:08 AM.
Old 04-15-2019, 01:07 PM

Hey all, so I pulled the catch can off and it was pretty much full of a thin oil. I took off the oil cap and started it up... it blows like a compressor out the hole. Put back on the oil cap and pulled off both fitting on each side going to the catch can stuff and both fitting are blowing pretty hard.

BadCon Now that you mention it I did see a week or so ago when she was cold a good amount of white smoke when accelerating down the road. But in my rearview I actually thought it was dust on the road as right in that area some amish folks were tearing down a house and there was a lot of dirt and dust in the road. But now I am sure it was my exhaust and not the truck stirring up dirt in the road.

So assuming the worst where do I go from here. Obviously there won't be any warranty. Do I take it to my Ford dealer or try to find a different performance shop to look it over?

I am not allowed to have anything nice........
Old 04-15-2019, 01:56 PM

Received 1,399 Likes on 865 Posts

If it's blowing a lot of air out the oil fill neck, then it's blow-by. Sadly, it's not likely to be a head gasket at this point. You can pull the cap off the radiator, start it, and see if a lot of air/bubbled come out. That would indicate head gasket. However, the next step I would take is a basic compression check. If you find a low hole, you could try to borescope it, but I don't know that you'll learn much. I suspect you'll find one hole in the <50 psi compression range and you'll have to go from there.

Sucks, man, sorry to hear it.

Short-blocks are surprisingly inexpensive from Ford so you could consider that for $2500 plus install.
Old 04-15-2019, 02:23 PM

Received 147 Likes on 111 Posts

I doubt you have a blown head gasket, its not a typical failure mode for a Coyote....theyll pop a ringland before they blow a head gasket under boost. All cars will produce a little white smoke, thats condensate burning off out of the exhaust. A blown head gasket will look like a mosquito fogger.

Take it to a decent shop, not necessarily the stealer, and have a compression check done , and go from there. You also need to pull the spark plugs and inspect....any plug that has an excess of oil fouling is suspect.

If it were me, I would be doing the following.

Pull plugs and inspect gap and condition, and while out do a compression check and borescope each cylinder. Before any of that however Id check any vacuum connections, especially around the bypass valve, and make sure all electrical connections are connected. Id pull any codes and see if its logging any misfires, and if so inspect fuel and spark to that cylinder.

This could be something as simple as bad gas, or you could have popped a piston ring.
Old 04-15-2019, 03:22 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Isn't this truck still under warranty? 2018 with 8,000 miles isn't even broken in yet! Get that truck to the dealer Pronto before further damage is done and they void warranty because you waited!
Old 04-15-2019, 04:12 PM
Ezekiel 25:17

Received 1,179 Likes on 753 Posts

Originally Posted by MarcoMontana View Post
Isn't this truck still under warranty? 2018 with 8,000 miles isn't even broken in yet! Get that truck to the dealer Pronto before further damage is done and they void warranty because you waited!
Yep...because dealers love warrantying Stage 2 Whipple/custom tuned engines.
The following 7 users liked this post by UNBROKEN:
chalriejo333 (04-28-2019), engineermike (04-15-2019), Mark Miller (04-16-2019), smdandb2 (04-15-2019), Terminator03 (04-21-2019), TriSum (04-18-2019), yonson (04-16-2019)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Motor Blown - 2018 5.0

Contact Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: