Topic Sponsor
Performance, Tuning, and (LEGAL) Racing Post discussions about increasing performance, capabilities, and racing. ****WARNING**** Street racing or illegal activities will be removed and potential bans will be handed out.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How long does a tune really take?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2018, 08:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How long does a tune really take?

I've searched the Forum and cannot find any specific answer on how long it takes for a tune to complete. I received my SCT X4 tuner today. I thought I would try some of the canned Tunes until my custom tunes arrive. I went step by step updated the tuner, connected it to the truck, browsed around and familiarize myself with the features and proceeded to the tune vehicle step. Everything seemed to be going as I would expect once it's completed downloading my stock tune and uploaded the new tune it says " finalizing tune this might take some time. please wait..."
it has been over 25 minutes and nothing has changed. My question is how long should I wait and or what should I do at this point?
any help for a first-timer would be appreciated
Mike
Old 11-30-2018, 10:31 PM

Received 260 Likes on 191 Posts

Something is wrong, but I'm not sure what. I've loaded numerous tunes using my x4, and never encountered anything like that. Time to call whoever supplied you with the tuner, or perhaps sct themselves.
Old 11-30-2018, 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by rojizostang
Something is wrong, but I'm not sure what. I've loaded numerous tunes using my x4, and never encountered anything like that. Time to call whoever supplied you with the tuner, or perhaps sct themselves.
Thanks for the reply.
I finally just unplugged it and started my truck. Works as usual. Plugged it in again and device info says not married, zero flashes and there is no sign of stock tune or reference to restoring original. Watched some you tube vids and I see mine did not return a message it was unlocking ECM. I'm now wondering if maybe my truck has never had any software updates at a dealer. I'll wait to here back from Stage 3 for my custom tunes and see if they recommend getting software updated.
Old 11-30-2018, 11:31 PM

Received 260 Likes on 191 Posts

I haven't done it in a while, but sometimes the key is supposed to be on, and sometimes it's supposed to be off, and the instructions can fly by pretty fast, so one has to pay attention and make sure the key is in the right position at the right time. Perhaps there was a little "short" between the steering wheel and the gas pedal. I think I would try it again.
Old 12-01-2018, 12:11 AM

Received 2,130 Likes on 1,216 Posts

Not a direct comparison as I have a BDX. It needs a good wi-fi connection. The first update and tune took around 20 minutes. Subsequent tune changes run about 9 minutes of time the truck is shut down, need to re-set the clock for each tune session. It has been fussy about loosing connections but always worked the second time around. KM
Old 12-01-2018, 11:22 AM

I'm going to try again today. Thanks for the help guys.
Old 12-01-2018, 02:12 PM

Default Success!

I have succeeded in loading a canned tune from my SCT X4. The only thing I did was move the truck closer to the house to reduce the distance to the Wi-Fi router. Follow the same steps as I did yesterday the difference today was when it got to the finalizing program screen it only took 10 to 12 seconds and then it continued on and unlocked ECM flashed a couple other things rather rapidly and then into the downloading tune phase.
Really don't know if being closer to wifi was the solution but based on one of your comments I thought I'd give it a try.
time to go for a spin and see if it made any difference.
Old 12-01-2018, 03:40 PM

Received 2,130 Likes on 1,216 Posts

Signal strength make all the difference. I too need to park in a different spot to connect. Nice thing is after tunes have downloaded my GTX does not need the connection to tune. Only needs that for updates. KM
Old 08-18-2019, 11:04 PM

Default I'm curious

I'm curious about this cuz it's doing the same exact thing to me as well I've tried multiple times and even used wifi the whole nine yards tried everything and still won't go past the "finalizing tune" this might take some time please wait, to me as well

Quick Reply: How long does a tune really take?