Topic Sponsor
Performance, Tuning, and (LEGAL) Racing Post discussions about increasing performance, capabilities, and racing. ****WARNING**** Street racing or illegal activities will be removed and potential bans will be handed out.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

High mileage supercharged engine?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2019, 10:11 AM

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Default High mileage supercharged engine?

How many miles can an engine handle the power increase of a supercharger? I know some people are putting these on their daily drivers, which is fine when things are new. But how will an engine hold up to a supercharger at 100k or 150k+ miles? I know preventative maintenance is key, but will a SC significantly shorten the long term durability of the engine?

if this is a noob question then I appreciate your patience
Old 04-12-2019, 10:19 AM
Ezekiel 25:17

Received 2,371 Likes on 1,215 Posts

Superchargers have been used by OEM’s for decades. It’s all in how you use them. Mine it turned up quite a bit but still what I consider safe. I went into it knowing the ramifications of getting stupid...and so should anyone who installs one. If you run the stock tune provided with the blower I think you can expect a long and happy engine life.
Old 04-12-2019, 12:04 PM

Received 366 Likes on 250 Posts

Anything that moves a drive train far outside its design limits is going to shorten life, but by how much is anybodies guess. A crap tune can kill an engine in less then a mile, and so can ignorance and stupidity...but assuming a sane human being and something like the stock Roush or Whipple tune, I don't see an issue with a supercharged Coyote making it well over 100,000 miles with proper maintenance. Something most people don't take into account is the life of the supercharger itself, and I'd be willing to bet the Coyote would out live the blower, even an Eaton (TVS) oem quality unit. That said, most of the people who own vehicles like this are the turn and burn type who sell a truck after a couple years, or the people who keep it as a pleasure vehicle and are slow to rack up the mileage.
I just rolled past 30k miles on my truck, 29k of which have been supercharged. Outside of my custom tune idiosyncrasys, I've had no issues related to the supercharger. Do I expect it to last 200,000 miles? No, but I'm likely gonna sell this truck next year and move onto something else so its of little concern to me if it actually makes it that far or not.
The following users liked this post:
Mark Miller (04-16-2019)
Old 04-12-2019, 01:51 PM

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Im one of them people BadCon refers too, slow too rack up milage. However with that said im a little reluctant to put a tune in my stock roush system.
This 2018 5.0 , im hearing horror stories about , some tuners if you have a 2018 dont want anythng to do with it . Hmm
Old 04-15-2019, 07:31 PM
Heat Miser

Received 144 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by UNBROKEN
Superchargers have been used by OEM’s for decades. It’s all in how you use them.
Big difference between a motor engineered to handle boost, and an aftermarket SC/turbo added to an NA motor.Manufacturers typically lower compression for boosted motors, and they strengthen things like conrods, bearings, design pistons specifically for boosted applications, shape the combustion chambers differently, change the cam profiles, and
on and on.
To address the OP's question, no, it's not a good idea to add a SC to a high mileage motor, and motors with aftermarket SC's installed on 'em typically don't last as long as their stock counterparts. As far as how much shorter you can expect their lifespan to be, that's difficult to answer. As the guy I quoted stated, lifespan is affected by how much your romp on it, as well as the amount of boost your chosen SC produces, and other things(like your tune, the gas you use, your maintenance etc.)
The following users liked this post:
Mark Miller (04-16-2019)
Old 04-16-2019, 10:58 AM
No fart cans allowed

Received 1,451 Likes on 961 Posts

Lingenfelter has a Corvette with a pd blower that has over 270k miles at last count, with many trips down the quarter mile. As long as you have a good tune and do normal routine maintenance a supercharged engine will give many trouble free miles.

I put 90k miles on my pullied down MP112 Magnacharged, cammed and stalled Avalanche and never had to touch the supercharger. An oil change was due at 100k.
Old 04-16-2019, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by yokev
Big difference between a motor engineered to handle boost, and an aftermarket SC/turbo added to an NA motor.Manufacturers typically lower compression for boosted motors, and they strengthen things like conrods, bearings, design pistons specifically for boosted applications, shape the combustion chambers differently, change the cam profiles, and
on and on.
To address the OP's question, no, it's not a good idea to add a SC to a high mileage motor, and motors with aftermarket SC's installed on 'em typically don't last as long as their stock counterparts. As far as how much shorter you can expect their lifespan to be, that's difficult to answer. As the guy I quoted stated, lifespan is affected by how much your romp on it, as well as the amount of boost your chosen SC produces, and other things(like your tune, the gas you use, your maintenance etc.)
The F150 is lower compression than the Mustangs, has forged crank and rods and is essentially begging for boost. If the starting engine is healthy there’s nothing wrong with strapping on a blower.
Old 04-16-2019, 09:43 PM
Heat Miser

Received 144 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by UNBROKEN
The F150 is lower compression than the Mustangs, has forged crank and rods and is essentially begging for boost. If the starting engine is healthy there’s nothing wrong with strapping on a blower.
You don't need to sell me on the idea bud. I don't own a 5L, nor am I buying a SC for someone who does.
I simply answered the OP's question(s) with information I know to be true
Old 04-17-2019, 10:29 AM

You answered with your opinion. lol
And he never asked about throwing one on a high mile motor...he asked if the motor will live to see high miles with one. It’s been proven countless times that they can and will depending on how they’re treated.

Last edited by UNBROKEN; 04-17-2019 at 10:31 AM.
Old 04-17-2019, 12:33 PM

Received 612 Likes on 439 Posts

all you need to do to figure out how long it'll last to handle being supercharged is to look at factory supercharged engines from ford. The 5.8 in the gt500 doesn't have a whole lot different in it than the coyote and it lasts just fine. It's literally about how often you're beating the **** out of it, and one thing that a supercharger exacerbates drastically is crank harmonics from hitting the rev limiter. Long as you prevent that you shouldn't have problems.

Quick Reply: High mileage supercharged engine?