Topic Sponsor
Performance, Tuning, and (LEGAL) Racing Post discussions about increasing performance, capabilities, and racing. ****WARNING**** Street racing or illegal activities will be removed and potential bans will be handed out.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hear me out: Why are programmers still a thing?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2019, 10:31 AM

Received 50 Likes on 38 Posts
Default Hear me out: Why are programmers still a thing?

Before you go jumping all over me please read the entire post.

My history:
2004 5.4l with custom PHP tunes on a Gryphon programmer
2009 5.4l with custom MPT tunes on a Livewire TS

I'm a firm believer in tunes and the gains they give. My question is with the physical tuners themselves. We spend hundreds of dollars on these simple little computer boxes just to load specific files into our vehicles. They are expensive and often locked to one vehicle at a time. In this day and age why are those little computers still around? I get having one in the vehicle to view live data from the vehicle. With laptops and adapters why is a programmer still necessary?

Here is why I'm asking: I have a Livewire TS in my 2009. When a tune is installed into my truck its locked to the truck. If I remove the tune I can use it on another vehicle but only 5 times and then it locks out. When I get a tune I have to take my Livewire out, plug it into my laptop, load the file into the Livewire, then go back out and load the tune into my truck. I use Forscan frequently so I have the ELM adapter to use for that. So with the ability to connect directly to my laptop why are we still using programmers? What brought this about is I was thinking of getting a tune for my wife's Explorer. After thinking about it for about 3 seconds I said screw that, not spending another $600 on a programmer when I have one already, but its locked to my truck so it's no good to me that way. Then I started wondering why. I understand these companies are in the business of making money, I get that. Why not offer a two vehicle option and allow me to pair my Livewire to 2 vehicles for a extra charge? Say $200 to allow 2 vehicles on one device? Then that brought me to this.

Here is my solution: if SCT or whoever instead of making programmers just develop a laptop program that you buy instead. It could be sold as a subscription or full license and you pay a fee per vehicle you want to program. Then you go to whoever you wish for your tune, buy your tune, use your laptop to connect to the vehicle, and load your tune that way. That would make things so much easier. You might even be able to bring in more customers because without the cost of producing a physical product you could offer the software at a lower cost, making it more enticing to people. If you still wanted a display to keep in the vehicle you could purchase a physical device.

What do you all think?
Old 04-25-2019, 10:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Companies like making money....and the consumer buys them.

There is your answer... but you already knew that. LOL
Old 04-25-2019, 11:08 AM
Senile member

Received 1,048 Likes on 732 Posts

Tuners are still a thing because people don't realize canned tunes are just meh. But they don't want to spend $400 on a tuner and have to spend $300 going somewhere to get a tune. They don't understand the benefits or safety with that.....but at the same time they don't realize you have to pick the right tuner....that jimbob at the local race shop who has 30 years experience with 4bbl carbs may not be properly equipped or experienced in a modern DI/EFI system....

and standalones are even more complicated (despite the incredible benefits they bring....can you say, F150 4x4 with launch control? whew)
Old 04-25-2019, 11:54 AM
Blown Member

Received 185 Likes on 152 Posts

HP Tuners is more like you are talking about. You just need to buy the little device (mpvi2) to interface between your OBDII port and laptop. The laptop loads the tune with their software.
The following users liked this post:
HPTuners (04-25-2019)
Old 04-25-2019, 02:45 PM
F150 Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by LTNBOLT
HP Tuners is more like you are talking about. You just need to buy the little device (mpvi2) to interface between your OBDII port and laptop. The laptop loads the tune with their software.
That is correct, you can purchase one MPVI2 interface and tune as many vehicles as you want with it. Each vehicle that you tune requires a license and you can see all the vehicle we support here https://www.hptuners.com/vehicles/

A lot of vehicles are 2 credits to license ($100 total) with some of the newer stuff being a bit higher cost. We do not provide any pre-made tunes but you can create a custom calibration for your vehicle using our software, or you can have a performance shop make a custom tune for you.

Feel free to reach out if you have any other questions.
68injunhed (04-25-2019), foxfarm8793 (04-25-2019), johnday in BFE (04-26-2019), Knight Ryder (08-30-2023), LTNBOLT (04-25-2019), OCMike (04-25-2019), sldghmr (06-22-2019) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 04-25-2019, 04:55 PM

Received 530 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by HPTuners
That is correct, you can purchase one MPVI2 interface and tune as many vehicles as you want with it. Each vehicle that you tune requires a license and you can see all the vehicle we support here https://www.hptuners.com/vehicles/

A lot of vehicles are 2 credits to license ($100 total) with some of the newer stuff being a bit higher cost. We do not provide any pre-made tunes but you can create a custom calibration for your vehicle using our software, or you can have a performance shop make a custom tune for you.

Feel free to reach out if you have any other questions.
How many credits are required to tune a 2019 F150 3.5EB with 10-speed auto?
Old 04-25-2019, 05:05 PM
F150 Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by sholxgt
How many credits are required to tune a 2019 F150 3.5EB with 10-speed auto?
The 19' F150 3.5L EcoBoost costs 2 credits to license.
Old 04-25-2019, 05:20 PM

Received 260 Likes on 191 Posts

this thread is weird. a guy posts about hand held tuners, and then hptuners posts right after him with the solution.

that's pretty convenient, lol.
The following users liked this post:
RLXXI (04-25-2019)
Old 04-25-2019, 05:42 PM

Received 50 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by rojizostang
this thread is weird. a guy posts about hand held tuners, and then hptuners posts right after him with the solution.

that's pretty convenient, lol.
It is pretty convenient actually, nice to know I wasn’t in left field here. I swear I have no affiliation with HPtuners at all. Didn’t even know they existed until today, the more you know.........
Old 04-25-2019, 06:04 PM

Received 260 Likes on 191 Posts

Well hptuners has posted 58 times in three years and they just happen to be hanging around when you post lol

Quick Reply: Hear me out: Why are programmers still a thing?