Topic Sponsor
Performance, Tuning, and (LEGAL) Racing Post discussions about increasing performance, capabilities, and racing. ****WARNING**** Street racing or illegal activities will be removed and potential bans will be handed out.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anyone here replaced their own OPG's and crank sprocket?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2019, 02:47 PM

Received 260 Likes on 191 Posts

Default Has anyone here replaced their own OPG's and crank sprocket?

I got a quote from the guy I use most of the time for stuff I can't or don't want to do, so I'm considering doing them myself. Has anyone replaced their own and retimed the motor and everything? If I decide to do it myself, what should I look out for?
Old 03-21-2019, 02:56 PM

Received 801 Likes on 530 Posts

Originally Posted by rojizostang
I got a quote from the guy I use most of the time for stuff I can't or don't want to do, so I'm considering doing them myself. Has anyone replaced their own and retimed the motor and everything? If I decide to do it myself, what should I look out for?
I had mine installed for me so not familiar with the install. I will say my cost was $1300 for parts and labor though just so you have comparison. Obviously a huge chunk of that was labor since the parts themselves are a $200-500 depending on brand. Mine were Boundary which I'm starting to see more and more vendors carry.
Old 03-21-2019, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by Ecks
I had mine installed for me so not familiar with the install. I will say my cost was $1300 for parts and labor though just so you have comparison. Obviously a huge chunk of that was labor since the parts themselves are a $200-500 depending on brand. Mine were Boundary which I'm starting to see more and more vendors carry.
Yes, the price for the Boundary gears and sprocket is $300 combined. Labor was 9.8 hours at $125 per hour. Winds up being $1587.

I'm assuming someone in Corpus did yours? If it's San Antonio, maybe you can let me know who did the install. I just watched a video
and there's no way I would try doing this with the motor still in the truck.
Old 03-21-2019, 03:29 PM

Received 211 Likes on 174 Posts

Yes, the price for the Boundary gears and sprocket is $300 combined. Labor was 9.8 hours at $125 per hour. Winds up being $1587.

I'm assuming someone in Corpus did yours? If it's San Antonio, maybe you can let me know who did the install. I just watched a video
and there's no way I would try doing this with the motor still in the truck.
For that cost have cams installed as well.
Old 03-21-2019, 03:43 PM

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Its really not bad retiming the motor is as simple as lining dots up with colored links.
Old 03-21-2019, 04:07 PM

Received 801 Likes on 530 Posts

Beechmont Ford out of Ohio did mine along with the Whipple install when i bought the truck from them.

They're one of those 750+ HP for $39,995 dealers that's becoming pretty popular.

Sounds like your quote is about in line though.
The following users liked this post:
loubif (03-12-2021)
Old 03-21-2019, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by blue5.0
For that cost have cams installed as well.

Well that's certainly a thought, however the problem with that would be another complete re-tune. That would be another $650 on top of the cams and labor costs already quoted.

I don't think my guy here is really out of line with other folks. In fact he seems to be a bargain on a lot of the other work I've had one compared to some of the other shops. I offered him cash and he said he would do it for $1400, as he wouldn't have to pay credit card fees and could discount the tax.
Old 03-21-2019, 04:52 PM

Well that's certainly a thought, however the problem with that would be another complete re-tune. That would be another $650 on top of the cams and labor costs already quoted.

I don't think my guy here is really out of line with other folks. In fact he seems to be a bargain on a lot of the other work I've had one compared to some of the other shops. I offered him cash and he said he would do it for $1400, as he wouldn't have to pay credit card fees and could discount the tax.
I hear ya. The retune would be a cost but it shouldn't really be any more labor. GT/Boss intake cams are like $150. My install for cams, billet oil pump gears and billet crank gear was $1,000
Old 03-21-2019, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by blue5.0
I hear ya. The retune would be a cost but it shouldn't really be any more labor. GT/Boss intake cams are like $150. My install for cams, billet oil pump gears and billet crank gear was $1,000
Where are you...or where did you have this done? Was this all labor, or parts included? Maybe a dumb question.
Old 03-21-2019, 05:07 PM

Where are you...or where did you have this done? Was this all labor, or parts included? Maybe a dumb question.
Sorry, $900 for labor for cams, opg, crank gear. Parts with oil and coolant were prob $525 or so. I'm about 30 min south of STL, Mo. this shop was about another hour south of me. STL Mustangs is the name of the shop.

Quick Reply: Has anyone here replaced their own OPG's and crank sprocket?