Topic Sponsor
Performance, Tuning, and (LEGAL) Racing Post discussions about increasing performance, capabilities, and racing. ****WARNING**** Street racing or illegal activities will be removed and potential bans will be handed out.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Full race turbos - HPFP required for this setup?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2017, 11:21 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Full race turbos - HPFP required for this setup?

Some questions on building my 2011 F150 3.5L Ecoboost. Current modifications I have, or plan to install:

AEM Charge Pipes
AEM Stage 2 Intake
Heartthrob Exhaust
Full Race GT Twin Turbos
Wagner Intercooler
Turbosmart BOV
Kooks Catless Downpipe

I'm having some problems with the modifications. From what I've heard, I'll need a $1600 HPFP to run 600hp on pump gas with these new GT Turbos. I really dont want to dump another $1600 into the performance side of this truck when It's going to be on all terrain tires with a lift and get zero traction anyhow.

A few of my colleagues say to sell the new GT turbos, keep the stock ones, and do all the other mods to get around 500hp and be happy. The turbos are going to require the HPFP to push it over 500hp, and the stock turbos should do fine otherwise. Whats the opinions of the forum?
Old 09-18-2017, 11:29 AM
Senile member

Received 1,048 Likes on 732 Posts

get the HPFP. with a direct injected vehicle that part is critical. It's not like on a port injected car where you can just get an adjustable fuel pressure regulator and go from maybe 3 bar to 4 bar fuel pressure. HPFP is your ticket to more power.

Or....get supplemental methanol injection that is boost-activated, and run 100% methanol in the tank. It's a bit more risky if you don't use a level sensor (full boost, tank run dry..no Bueno), but will cool down the BAT's and make more power.
Old 09-18-2017, 11:49 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I dont want to use methanol. This is my DD and I dont want to get caught nor risk blowing the engine.

There are still no choices for the HPFP under $1600 are there?

Would I not need the HPFP if I keep the turbos off?
Old 09-18-2017, 11:51 AM

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,272 Posts

Uhm, 600 crank or whp?

As far as the HPFP...no NO you will NOT need it. lol What you will need is a tuner that knows HOW to tune these engines correctly. If you do spend this money for the HPFP I promise you that it will not help you reach that goal. You will just be $1600.00 lighter. You should be more focused on total area under the curve than hp numbers anyway. The answer to tuning these ecoBoost engines is a tuner that understands how to tune the TQ to load/load to TQ tables. Without doing this, all a tuner is doing is "tricking" the PCM. Just telling you....fwiw
The following users liked this post:
TX-Ripper (10-14-2017)
Old 09-18-2017, 11:55 AM

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,272 Posts

The goal you are trying to hit on the stock bottom end will more than likely end with another window mod in your block. I wouldnt go this route. Why 600hp? It does not indicate how fast your truck will be, or how useable the power will be if not tuned correctly. You will need a live tune in order to extract the most out of your mods without too much risk to the engine. If you dont heed this, I promise you, your next thread will be "will ford cover this under warranty?"
The following users liked this post:
TX-Ripper (10-14-2017)
Old 09-20-2017, 01:09 PM

Received 897 Likes on 680 Posts

Originally Posted by 2016BoostedGreyGoose
The goal you are trying to hit on the stock bottom end will more than likely end with another window mod in your block. I wouldnt go this route. Why 600hp? It does not indicate how fast your truck will be, or how useable the power will be if not tuned correctly. You will need a live tune in order to extract the most out of your mods without too much risk to the engine. If you dont heed this, I promise you, your next thread will be "will ford cover this under warranty?"
I was gunna say. 600 hp will blow up the motor. Stock fueling is enough to get you to unsafe places so dont worry about it.

The GT's will make more power than the stock turbos and will do it more efficiently, but it seems you can get somewhat close to the limit of the engine internals with the stock turbos anyway as long as you have all the supporting mods. I would rather do it with GT's, its just a matter of spending $2200.

Last edited by mass-hole; 09-20-2017 at 01:14 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by mass-hole:
2016BoostedGreyGoose (09-20-2017), TX-Ripper (10-14-2017)