Ford e-locker or Detroit Truetrac Whipple - Page 2 - Ford F150 Forum - Community of Ford Truck Fans

Topic Sponsor
Performance, Tuning, and (LEGAL) Racing Post discussions about increasing performance, capabilities, and racing. ****WARNING**** Street racing or illegal activities will be removed and potential bans will be handed out.

Ford e-locker or Detroit Truetrac Whipple

 
Old 01-29-2019, 03:26 PM
  #11  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Texas
Posts: 277
Thanked 92 Times in 67 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by rojizostang View Post
when are you going to the track? You're in san Antonio or close by, right?
Yeah ACM is my "home" track. I think they are opening back up in Feb. Not sure when I'll go. They changed it up this year and are going to go by NRHA rules strictly. I have no interest in putting a roll cage in my truck.
Spooled is offline  
Old 01-29-2019, 03:30 PM
  #12  
Senior Member
 
rojizostang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Posts: 491
Thanked 50 Times in 43 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Spooled View Post
Yeah ACM is my "home" track. I think they are opening back up in Feb. Not sure when I'll go. They changed it up this year and are going to go by NRHA rules strictly. I have no interest in putting a roll cage in my truck.
me either but I haven't run a 11.49 yet lol

btw the rules were altered in 2013. I don't think a roll bar is necessary now, if i'm reading this right

https://www.dragzine.com/news/nhra-a...reet-vehicles/

Last edited by rojizostang; 01-29-2019 at 03:33 PM.
rojizostang is offline  
Old 01-29-2019, 03:39 PM
  #13  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 1,111
Thanked 192 Times in 154 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by rojizostang View Post
me either but I haven't run a 11.49 yet lol

btw the rules were altered in 2013. I don't think a roll bar is necessary now, if i'm reading this right

https://www.dragzine.com/news/nhra-a...reet-vehicles/
Seeing as an E50 tune only 2018 F150 Ecoboost can run a 12.02, it seems like they would need to move the goal posts a little. Any clown with a few hundred dollars can almost run a time that would require a cage which means a lot of street night people wouldnt be able to run.
mass-hole is offline  
Old 01-29-2019, 09:58 PM
  #14  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Vancouver, BC Canada
Posts: 863
Thanked 131 Times in 105 Posts
Default

All good info. I had an e-locker in my previous 2.7 and it was fun when engaged but it seems I didn't have as much fun as I could have it I had a Truetrac.
crankinaway is offline  
Old 02-12-2019, 06:01 PM
  #15  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Vancouver, BC Canada
Posts: 863
Thanked 131 Times in 105 Posts
Default

I got another question to add to my original....will an aftermarket unit like the Truetrac mess with the traction control system or create some oddities?
crankinaway is offline  
Old 02-12-2019, 06:22 PM
  #16  
Senior Member
 
rojizostang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Posts: 491
Thanked 50 Times in 43 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by crankinaway View Post
I got another question to add to my original....will an aftermarket unit like the Truetrac mess with the traction control system or create some oddities?
I haven't been to the track yet with it in my truck, but I had one in my 07 mustang gt and there were no weird issues. I don't expect to encounter any with the truck either.
rojizostang is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to rojizostang For This Useful Post:
crankinaway (02-12-2019)
Old 02-12-2019, 06:54 PM
  #17  
Blown Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Olive Branch, MS (Memphis Burb)
Posts: 694
Thanked 140 Times in 119 Posts
Default

The majority of the 2015+ trucks have a Super 8.8 rear end. Only certain rear gear selections and possibly engine selections have the 9.75 rear end. As far as I know at this time the TruTrac is not made for the Super 8.8 rear end. The IRS Mustang TracLok can be used in the Super 8.8. The C clips have to be shaved a touch to fit back in to place but other than that it is a direct swap. You can get the TracLok for around $178.

There have been several people who have grenaded their Super 8.8 with an E-Locker at the track. Most were 2wd. I only know of one 4wd Crew Cab that broke. When the E-Locker is engaged it is like the rear end is welded up (old drag racers trick). There is no give at all. If your wheels start spinning on a prepped track and one side grabs before the other and there is no give this puts great stress or shock on the rear assembly. A limited slip would help reduce the shock. Something to think about.
LTNBOLT is offline  
Old 02-12-2019, 07:29 PM
  #18  
Ezekiel 25:17
iTrader: (1)
 
UNBROKEN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Houston
Posts: 3,154
Thanked 1,158 Times in 740 Posts
Default

I’ve never even used my e-locker. I forgot it was even there. lol
The truck will leave a pair of stripes any time I feel like it anyway.
UNBROKEN is offline  
Old 02-12-2019, 09:19 PM
  #19  
Senior Member
 
PerryB's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Chico, Ca.
Posts: 3,551
Thanked 558 Times in 458 Posts
Default

True Track any day. I have a TT and 2 ELD's. I wish I had 3 TT's and no ELD 's.
PerryB is offline  
Old 02-12-2019, 10:03 PM
  #20  
Senior Member
 
BadCon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 472
Thanked 113 Times in 85 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by LTNBOLT View Post
The majority of the 2015+ trucks have a Super 8.8 rear end. Only certain rear gear selections and possibly engine selections have the 9.75 rear end. As far as I know at this time the TruTrac is not made for the Super 8.8 rear end. The IRS Mustang TracLok can be used in the Super 8.8. The C clips have to be shaved a touch to fit back in to place but other than that it is a direct swap. You can get the TracLok for around $178.

There have been several people who have grenaded their Super 8.8 with an E-Locker at the track. Most were 2wd. I only know of one 4wd Crew Cab that broke. When the E-Locker is engaged it is like the rear end is welded up (old drag racers trick). There is no give at all. If your wheels start spinning on a prepped track and one side grabs before the other and there is no give this puts great stress or shock on the rear assembly. A limited slip would help reduce the shock. Something to think about.
VMP nuked a Mustang traclok on Justin's personal F150 with the super 8.8, bad wheel hope killed the spider gears (even with traction bars). However during the rebuild he noted the clutches were worn down completely after only 20k miles. I'm a big fan of tracloks for their cost and power handling, but anyone considering one should expect to do frequent rebuilds.
BadCon is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ford e-locker or Detroit Truetrac Whipple


Contact Us Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: