Fans Installed on Stock Whipple LTR - Ford F150 Forum - Community of Ford Truck Fans

Topic Sponsor
Performance, Tuning, and (LEGAL) Racing Post discussions about increasing performance, capabilities, and racing. ****WARNING**** Street racing or illegal activities will be removed and potential bans will be handed out.

Fans Installed on Stock Whipple LTR

Old 07-25-2018, 03:38 AM
Blown Member

Default Fans Installed on Stock Whipple LTR

I finally got around to installing the two 10" fans on my stock sized 2018 Whipple LTR (Heat Exchanger). They barely fit height wise. Another 1/4" and they would have been too big.

This is the wiring diagram that I used. I used 10 gauge wire from the fans to Pin 87 on the Relay and 10 gauge wire from Pin 30 to the inline fuse then to the battery. I used 10 gauge wire for the ground from the fans to the ground bolt by the battery that Whipple used for the water pump. I used 16 gauge wire from the fuse box to pin 86 of the relay and for the ground from Pin 85 to the ground bolt.

EDIT: I changed the diagram for the wire splice at the fuse box and to add a switch to turn the fans off.

Last edited by LTNBOLT; 07-29-2018 at 10:08 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LTNBOLT For This Useful Post:
OCMike (07-28-2018), TX-Ripper (07-25-2018)
Old 07-25-2018, 03:49 AM
Blown Member

I removed the grille then took 2 screws out of the 2 plastic vertical bars so I could remove the vent flaps. The flaps will come out by flexing them enough to get the end pin out of the hole.

NOTE: When reinstalling the grille do not plug in the smaller connector for the shutter motor. It will throw a silent code P05A1 if you do.

Before:

After:

Last edited by LTNBOLT; 07-31-2018 at 12:34 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to LTNBOLT For This Useful Post:
TX-Ripper (07-25-2018)
Old 07-25-2018, 04:11 AM
Blown Member

I mounted the fans using the hardware that came with the fans. There were sponge pads to put on both side of the LTR to prevent damage and probably cut down on vibration noises. I separated them some in the middle to make sure I had room for the middle vertical bar on the back of the grille because it gets close at the bottom of the LTR.

This is the two 10 gauge wires in 1/2" wire loom coming from the fans up the front of the battery box. All wiring used crimp connectors.

The 10 gauge ground wire from the fans and the 16 gauge ground wire from Pin 85 of the relay were routed to the ground bolt where both were crimped into the same eyelet. They were then mounted to the ground bolt. These wires were ran together in 3/8" wire loom.

Last edited by LTNBOLT; 07-25-2018 at 05:25 AM.
TX-Ripper (07-25-2018)
Old 07-25-2018, 04:35 AM
Blown Member

One end if the Inline 30 Amp Fuse wire was connected by a crimped on female plug to Pin 30 of the relay. The other end of the fuse was crimp connected to 10 gauge wire which was routed to the + of the battery and connected with an eyelet. The fuse is an ATM fuse and a rubber boot goes over it snaps to seal it from moisture.

16 gauge wire is routed from Pin 86 of the relay to the fuse box. It is in the same 3/8" wire loom as the 10 gauge wire going to the battery. A Wire Tap was used to tap the wire from Pin 86 into the Fuse Tap of the Whipple water pump in the Fuse Box.

Last edited by LTNBOLT; 07-29-2018 at 10:24 PM.
TX-Ripper (07-25-2018)
Old 07-25-2018, 04:48 AM
Blown Member

Using plastic covered female crimp connectors for the wires connecting to the male pins of the 30/40 Amp Relay the relay is ready to be mounted. I used the white plastic push pin tab on the negative cable of the battery at the front on the battery box to mount the relay.

TX-Ripper (07-25-2018)
Old 07-25-2018, 05:13 AM
Blown Member

This is what the fans look like with the grille on the truck. They are on the loud side even with the curved blades. So far they seem to help keep the temps down better and also seem to pull the temp down faster after heat soak. I will know more tomorrow when the temp gets back in the 90s. The draw back on the wiring is the fans come on as soon as the key is inserted. You have to remove the key to get them to turn off. I tried several slots and they are either on all the time or come on when the key is inserted. The slot that whipple uses may very well be the only one where you have to turn the key on for power.

Edit : The issue mentioned in the red text has been corrected in the new wiring diagram at the top of this thread.

I added a Switch between Pin 85 of the relay and the ground bolt. First I drilled a hole and mounted the switch which had preexisting wires.

After the switch was wired in to place.

Last edited by LTNBOLT; 07-30-2018 at 04:39 PM.
chimmike (07-28-2018)
Old 07-25-2018, 08:58 AM
Ezekiel 25:17

Thanked 1,158 Times in 740 Posts

Nice. Which fans did you go with?
Old 07-25-2018, 12:15 PM
TOTM Sept. '18

Thanked 1,391 Times in 946 Posts

Great write up...Thanks!

After I get my gauges I'll probably do this.

Mike
Old 07-25-2018, 12:36 PM
Blown Member

Originally Posted by UNBROKEN View Post
Nice. Which fans did you go with?
I went with the cheap fans on Amazon. I didn't want to have much money invested if they didn't produce good results. 2 fans were around $50 where 1 SPAL was $69. The SPALs might be quieter and move more air. Who knows.
TX-Ripper (07-25-2018)
Old 07-26-2018, 11:47 AM
Blown Member

This morning I pulled the the Fuse Tap out of Slot 35 and put the 20 amp fuse back into Slot 35. I cut the Fuse Tap off of the wire coming from Pin 86 of the Relay. I used a blue Wire Tap (14-18 gauge) and tapped the wire from Pin 86 into the Whipple Fuse Tap. I like this setup way better, The fans only come on when the key is turned on. The fans turn off when the key is turned off. You do not have to remove the key to keep them from running.

I will be installing an on/off switch on the ground wire from Pin 85 of the relay to be able to turn the fans off during cool weather if necessary. This is the recommended way to turn the relay off from what I have read.

EDIT: I made these changes in the wiring and updated the instructions in this thread.

Last edited by LTNBOLT; 07-29-2018 at 10:48 PM.
chimmike (07-28-2018)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Fans Installed on Stock Whipple LTR

Contact Us Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: