Topic Sponsor
Performance, Tuning, and (LEGAL) Racing Post discussions about increasing performance, capabilities, and racing. ****WARNING**** Street racing or illegal activities will be removed and potential bans will be handed out.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F150 2005 5.4, rebuilding/tuning for mpg (high octane fuels)

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2019, 06:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default F150 2005 5.4, rebuilding/tuning for mpg (high octane fuels)

Hi, got a old f150 2005 5.4 L and been searching for info on if I can modify the engine to take use of the high octane fuels in Sweden. Our worst gasoline is 95 octane and we got 98 octane at every pump. E85 is very common and much cheaper (even when you count in that e85 consumes more).

I don't really find any information on this topic other then to get a tube. I do got a sct x4, 93 tune in it that did help. If you got any tips on where i can read up on the subject that would be appropriated also!
Or should I trash the idea totally?

Why this is more interesting in Sweden then in the us, the f150 is not sold here but privately imported like all full size trucks here so they are not the cheapest. We do have alot of taxes on our fuel and that is after high taxes on your paycheck. So I'd say roughly we pay maybe around 4 times as much for the fuel if i try to the account for everything. Just a appropriation but the fact remains that its steep. So it's worth to put a bit of money into it, but sure there are limits where its better to change the engine.
Old 04-13-2019, 01:10 AM

Received 366 Likes on 250 Posts

Remember there are different ways to calculate octane....your 98 RON is the same as 93 AKI here in the united states. If it were me I'd just do bolt on's with a good tune....any 93 octane tune would be compatible with your 98 octane (RON) fuel, and same with an E85 tune...though you might need mods to your injectors and pump to run E85 with an aggressive tune. Put an exhaust on it so everyone over there knows you are rolling around with an American V8

Quick Reply: F150 2005 5.4, rebuilding/tuning for mpg (high octane fuels)