Topic Sponsor
Performance, Tuning, and (LEGAL) Racing Post discussions about increasing performance, capabilities, and racing. ****WARNING**** Street racing or illegal activities will be removed and potential bans will be handed out.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dual Fuel pump assembly

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2019, 01:00 PM

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts
Default Dual Fuel pump assembly

A while back I inquired with Ken from OZ Tuning about doing a return style fuel system. He mentioned that a Fore Innovations system would be the way to go, but he also mentioned that Fore doesn't make a module for the F150 yet so I'd have to come up with my own pump module solution.

After my conversation with Ken I called Fore Innovations and had a conversation with Rick, their tech guy. In talking with Rick, he told me installing dual pumps in the F150 basket has been done by lots of their customers, then they sell the customer a Mustang fuel system, but with the correct length of hose for their respective application (Due to the vast number of F150 configurations, hose length will need to be measured for the respective truck wheel base).

After I got off the phone with Rick, I set out to build my own fuel pump module and started researching. This thread shows the results of that.

My pump setup is a hybrid of a GT350 and F150 unit with dual Walbro 450's installed in the GT350 basket using the F150 bucket and hat. I originally wanted to use the DW400’s but the lack of check valves made the Walbro’s an Easy choice. Check valves are a necessity for a staged dual pump setup, without them all your fuel flow from the primary pump will be lost out the inlet of the secondary pump when it is not running. DW will install check valves in the DW 400 if requested, but after looking at the flow data of the DW400 with the check valve installed, it is actually less than the Walbro 450.

This unit is plug and play for the primary pump. You just plug the connector into the stock plug, then a custom harness with a 5 PSI Hobbs switch will turn on the secondary pump at 5PSI of boost.

For those that want to know, In front of this fuel pump module I'll be using a full Fore Innovations L2 dual regulator fuel system for a 2018 Mustang GT. As configured this setup should feed somewhere between 12-1300HP on E85 and 15-1600HP on gasoline.

Jamie

Last edited by JSEDECKER; 04-28-2019 at 02:06 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Skwerl (05-25-2019)
Old 05-25-2019, 09:16 PM

Received 801 Likes on 530 Posts

https://tuningbyoz.com/products/2018-return-system

Saw this Oz website. Looks like you're partnering with him on these setups. Very cool.

Any update on how this setup is working for you?
Old 05-25-2019, 10:55 PM

Yes I am, I figured that selling them through Oz Tuning would get more credibility than some guy in his garage.

I'm also working on a dual oem F150 pump system that will remain return style. I'll be installing that in my truck for testing in the next few days. That pump unit will be plug and play and should keep up to 1000 HP on E85. Ken and I expect that to be a big seller.

Jamie
Old 05-26-2019, 02:17 AM

Received 366 Likes on 250 Posts

$2700!!?!?!

Jesus, suddenly a boost-a-pump doesn't seem so bad. I thought the other kit for $1400 was overpriced.
Old 05-26-2019, 03:27 AM
Yup

Received 149 Likes on 105 Posts

Niiice.

I’m glad to see that someone is putting this all in one kit for those of us that don’t want to piece it together ourselves.

The 93oct in my area that Inhave tried to work with (north of Dallas in Plano) is hot garbage. I have been testing and tuning with an e30 blend to be able to run any sort of “aggressive” timing. I don’t mind blending the e30. But if I had the choice, I’d simply run e85 and save myself the hassle.

Sure, it’s a bit steep. But, that’s the cost of having someone else build it for you. That’s a perk of being first to market. I’ve got a long block in queue with completion planned towards the end of the summer, and a fuel system is on the to do list before then.
Old 05-26-2019, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by BadCon
$2700!!?!?!

Jesus, suddenly a boost-a-pump doesn't seem so bad. I thought the other kit for $1400 was overpriced.
I build the modules for $100 over the cost of the parts to do it, the majority of the cost of that fuel system is the rest of the fuel system.

The system Ecks linked includes Fore Innovations Fuel Rails, and Fore Innovations fuel pump controller and is intended for someone who is running a pro charger or Turbo system.

For Whipple, Roush, or VMP guys the system is considerably cheaper as you don't need the fuel rails and I am building a harness that is cheaper than the Fore Electrical. It will come with a relay, Hobbs switch, fittings to mount the Hobbs switch in the Whipple manifold, and a plug and pigtail to put an LED for your secondary pump on the dash. Don't quote me, on price but that system will be approximately $500 cheaper than the one in the link.

Finally as mentioned above I'm working on testing a dual OEM F150 Pump module that stays return style. If testing is satisfactory than that system will be offered as a plug and play system for cheaper than the Sai Li system. Of course that system won't be able to make as much power as the return style systems but it should serve as a good compromise for guys looking to run E85 on applications that are around 900WHP. Install will be easy and no plumbing required, it will just use the stock fuel line. Stay tuned and I'll update the thread with the testing results once I'm done testing it.
The following 3 users liked this post by JSEDECKER:
Ecks (05-26-2019), Spooled (05-29-2019), Syclone383 (05-29-2019)
Old 05-29-2019, 03:39 PM

Received 155 Likes on 93 Posts

Your OEM dual F-150 pump setup will be enough for 90% of the F-150 performance crowd and will work great I'm sure.
Old 05-29-2019, 08:13 PM
Ezekiel 25:17

Received 2,371 Likes on 1,215 Posts

Originally Posted by Spooled
Your OEM dual F-150 pump setup will be enough for 90% of the F-150 performance crowd and will work great I'm sure.
I’m following that one closely...I could plug it right into my return plumbing and be good to go for anything I’ll ever do.
Old 05-29-2019, 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by UNBROKEN
I’m following that one closely...I could plug it right into my return plumbing and be good to go for anything I’ll ever do.
Are you return style or still return less? I can build for whatever you have. I just need to know what fittings you need on top of the hat. If you are interested in a module, shoot me a PM and I'll build something to suit.
Old 05-29-2019, 09:22 PM
Ezekiel 25:17

Received 2,371 Likes on 1,215 Posts

Originally Posted by JSEDECKER
Are you return style or still return less? I can build for whatever you have. I just need to know what fittings you need on top of the hat. If you are interested in a module, shoot me a PM and I'll build something to suit.
It’ll be a bit for me...I’m moving out of the country for a few months on Tuesday. I’ll be following the progress though.

Quick Reply: Dual Fuel pump assembly