Topic Sponsor
Performance, Tuning, and (LEGAL) Racing Post discussions about increasing performance, capabilities, and racing. ****WARNING**** Street racing or illegal activities will be removed and potential bans will be handed out.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can we talk drag racing? 5.0 specific..

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2016, 10:03 PM
I bleed Blue

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Default Can we talk drag racing? 5.0 specific..

So next week Im going to take my new 16 Scab 5.0 to the drag strip for fun. My buddy been racing his new 16 RCSB 5.0 and has it down to 14.0hs so we will have some fun running each other.

Now my question is what has everyone found to be the best configuration to run these things in? My previous truck was a 12 Scab 4wd 5.0 with open 3.31 axle. Bone stock with only a drop in K&N it ran a best of 15.22@93 by leaving TC turned on and leaving right off idle in Drive. Anything other than that it ran slower.

My new 16 is virtually the same truck but this one has 3.73 with e-locker. Im curious bout racing with or with out Sport mode, launching at idle or building some rpm off foot braking it a bit, 2wd vs 4wd, manual shifting vs leaving in Drive, locker on or off......

I know there is no way my truck will keep up with his 14.ohs but I shouldn't be to far off with my 3.73 vs his 3.31. Im projecting a 14.50 from mine, anything faster I will be shocked. I do have the same drop in K&N and a roll up bed cover.

Soooo....that all said, what times are you guys running and what did you do to get there? More details the better please!

Im asking specifically about 5.0 trucks since I know a EB truck has the benefit of building some boost off the foot brake but feel free to share your findings.

Thanks guys!
Old 06-29-2016, 10:31 AM

Received 197 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by deathbypsi
So next week Im going to take my new 16 Scab 5.0 to the drag strip for fun. My buddy been racing his new 16 RCSB 5.0 and has it down to 14.0hs so we will have some fun running each other.

Now my question is what has everyone found to be the best configuration to run these things in? My previous truck was a 12 Scab 4wd 5.0 with open 3.31 axle. Bone stock with only a drop in K&N it ran a best of 15.22@93 by leaving TC turned on and leaving right off idle in Drive. Anything other than that it ran slower.

My new 16 is virtually the same truck but this one has 3.73 with e-locker. Im curious bout racing with or with out Sport mode, launching at idle or building some rpm off foot braking it a bit, 2wd vs 4wd, manual shifting vs leaving in Drive, locker on or off......

I know there is no way my truck will keep up with his 14.ohs but I shouldn't be to far off with my 3.73 vs his 3.31. Im projecting a 14.50 from mine, anything faster I will be shocked. I do have the same drop in K&N and a roll up bed cover.

Soooo....that all said, what times are you guys running and what did you do to get there? More details the better please!

Im asking specifically about 5.0 trucks since I know a EB truck has the benefit of building some boost off the foot brake but feel free to share your findings.

Thanks guys!
You have the advantage of launching in 4X4. Just because you don't have turbos doesn't mean you can't launch at a better RPM. I would switch into 2wd soon after launch. Realistically, you should be high 14's stock. I'd be surprised if you hit a 14.5. My 13 RCSB 5.0/3.55 ran 14.3's stock, while spinning off the line on the crappy factory tires. 4X4 and Super cab will kill your times. Hard to beat a RCSB 5.0 with any new F150 engine.
Old 06-29-2016, 10:58 AM
2015 F150 Guy

Received 122 Likes on 97 Posts

I'd put 'er in 4A and shift manual.
Post a vid.
TomJV
Old 06-29-2016, 12:22 PM

Received 538 Likes on 398 Posts

Originally Posted by tomjv
I'd put 'er in 4A and shift manual.
Post a vid.
TomJV
Only lariats and higher have 4A, others are Part-Time 4WD. Even then in 4A, you'd likely lose power and time from the system slipping it's transfer case electronic locking clutch in it's pattern to find traction on the best wheel.

Best to either leave it in 2WD or 4WD (though I would think this could cause drivetrain damage from binding).

My 2008 Sport Trac had 4A, 4Hi, and 4Lo. No 2WD at all. It wouldn't ever bark the tires because of it's AWD and traction management. It was very quick and likely quicker than the Car and Driver's review would have you believe, at 15.8 sec 1/4 mile, due to the drive line power loss.

Last edited by Mike Up; 06-29-2016 at 12:28 PM.
Old 06-29-2016, 12:38 PM

Received 352 Likes on 245 Posts

I would think 2wd would be faster...as long as your not spinning. Feels faster on the street anyways.
Old 06-29-2016, 01:04 PM

Received 225 Likes on 165 Posts

never launch from idle in anything, doesn't make sense. Ever.

I don't see how sport mode can change anything.

Locker... personally I probably wouldn't. Just because its a stock truck, with warranty, in the event that something happens, its going to be annoying and potentially a hassle. It would probably be fine, but its not worth the risk IMO.

You should be able to launch the truck with minimal tire spin in 2wd, I have no experience with 4wds so cant comment. But I don't think you need it. Ive made a lot of passes, street and track, with more power on equally terrible tires and been fine.
Old 06-29-2016, 01:13 PM

Received 67 Likes on 51 Posts

Ok I drag races my 157" wheel base 5.0...so the heaviest configuration. I did 14.8 stock with 3.73 gears. Tuned with an MPT PRX 93 tune, my best was 14.37 with a cold air intake also.
Now I got an exhaust from Banks and I'll try it out maybe this week end.

So for you to expect 14.0 sec is a very high expectation, but I guess weight makes a huge difference. Not sure. Let me know how u do
Old 06-29-2016, 01:33 PM

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Launch in 4H, then swap to 2H immediately after punching it.
Let the auto shift itself, manual shifting isn't going to net anything better than the computer shifting at WOT.
Sport shouldn't really net anything better either. At WOT, whether in Sport mode or not, the truck shifts at peak RPM.

Good luck.
Old 06-29-2016, 02:32 PM
I bleed Blue

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by StonedGreen
for you to expect 14.0 sec is a very high expectation, but I guess weight makes a huge difference. Not sure. Let me know how u do
Oh no I never said I was hoping for 14.ohs out of mine.I think 14.50s is more realistic.
Originally Posted by SilverSurfer15
never launch from idle in anything, doesn't make sense. Ever.
In my 12 if I tried to launch with any more rpm over idle it would want to blow the single wheel off and TC would kick in hard and kill that run. Leaving right off idle made it hook better and kept TC from interfering.I think 2.3 60fts were the best it could pull like this
Old 06-29-2016, 02:35 PM

Received 538 Likes on 398 Posts

Originally Posted by StonedGreen
Ok I drag races my 157" wheel base 5.0...so the heaviest configuration. I did 14.8 stock with 3.73 gears. Tuned with an MPT PRX 93 tune, my best was 14.37 with a cold air intake also.
Now I got an exhaust from Banks and I'll try it out maybe this week end.

So for you to expect 14.0 sec is a very high expectation, but I guess weight makes a huge difference. Not sure. Let me know how u do
Wow, pretty good with such a heavy configuration. I knew these trucks were faster than what "Car and Driver" would have you believe. That would be around 6.1 sec 0 - 60 mph with such a heavy configuration. A lighter configuration as mine (7000 lbs GVWR - 1890 lbs payload = 5110 lbs unloaded truck weight) may shave .1 or .2 off of that 1/4 mile, which puts it within a tenth or 2, of the Ecoboost 3.5L times (as I would expect).

Hek, just a decade ago, Mustangs and Camaros were pulling these numbers with 5 speed manuals, and the 4 speed autos in them were another 1/2 to 1 second longer! Knew I had a muscle car in truck trim!

Last edited by Mike Up; 06-29-2016 at 02:39 PM.

Quick Reply: Can we talk drag racing? 5.0 specific..