Topic Sponsor
Performance, Tuning, and (LEGAL) Racing Post discussions about increasing performance, capabilities, and racing. ****WARNING**** Street racing or illegal activities will be removed and potential bans will be handed out.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can Ford see if you HAD a tune

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2019, 03:36 PM
KTM Hauler

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Default Can Ford see if you HAD a tune

My truck broke a rod motor is junk while I was waiting for a tow I returned it back to stock
now Ford is investigating why it did this .
My question is can they see there was a tune . The battery has been dead for 2 months It has been at the dealer
for 3 months It will be under warranty
Old 02-19-2019, 03:40 PM
Super Moderator

Received 4,141 Likes on 2,840 Posts

Originally Posted by KTMJack
My truck broke a rod motor is junk while I was waiting for a tow I returned it back to stock
now Ford is investigating why it did this .
My question is can they see there was a tune . The battery has been dead for 2 months It has been at the dealer
for 3 months It will be under warranty
yes they can in a roundabout way. They can count the number of ignition cycles since last reflash
Old 02-19-2019, 03:44 PM

Received 612 Likes on 439 Posts

^^ what he said. They will look at ignition cycles. It's extremely suspect if there's zero to 10. It's less likely to be questioned if you have like 300+.

For a 100% surefire investigation if there was a PCM flash, though, Ford has to take the PCM and inspect it.
Old 02-19-2019, 03:46 PM

Received 871 Likes on 695 Posts

YES!

Don't let anyone tell you they cant because its not true. Some say the ONLY way they can tell is due to the number of key cycles the truck has had but that's not true as well. You could have changed the battery, which erases the number of key cycles, the day before this happened which would explain why the number of cycles were low. There are other ways they can tell if it was tuned or not. BUT they have to look for it, it doesn't just pop up and say it was tuned as soon as they hook the computer up. Some will say that it all depends on the dealer. That is the case sometime, but it also depends on what part broke and if the dealer requires Fords approval for big ticket items to be covered. If the dealer does need preapproval, one of the steps is they have to hook the truck up to the computer and provide Ford with certain information. With this information Ford can tell if its been tuned or not. If they don't require preapproval, the dealership would have to be looking for this info to prove if you had a tune. What cylinder did the rod break on? Were you hotrodding the truck at the time it happened? Whos tune where you running?

Wayne

Last edited by Z7What; 02-19-2019 at 03:48 PM.
Old 02-19-2019, 03:57 PM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

Dealer can't tell unless you're still tuned so take it back down to stock before you go in. Ford can tell if they request the PCM to be sent in for analysis. That's if you don't own IDS and can do a complete format of the PCM and reinstall it back to as built.

Last edited by RLXXI; 02-19-2019 at 04:02 PM.
Old 02-19-2019, 04:00 PM
Texas A&M Aggie

Received 1,344 Likes on 976 Posts

Yeah what was going on at the time of failure? Who had you tuned with? Ford can definitely see the tune if they look for it.
Old 02-19-2019, 04:27 PM

Received 366 Likes on 250 Posts

Yes they can, and if that tune busted the rod then I'd be very careful with what you say should the question of a tune come up. Its not likely, but if your warranty claim falls into the hands of the wrong set of claims adjusters you could find yourself in the middle of a fraud investigation should they find evidence you flashed the PCM before having the truck towed to Ford, despite claiming it wasn't tuned.
Its not hard to connect the dots on who you are and where you live. A quick glance at your post history and I see your truck had an MPT tune and during the initial warranty process you fabricated records of 5k mile oil changes because you changed the oil yourself and never saved receipts. You've also posted pictures of your truck, pictures of the street you live on, and your profile indicates the city you live in, and I bet I could find the Ford dealer your truck is at in a short amount of time.

I doubt Ford is gonna take the time however, as other 3.5eco's have windowed blocks....its not common, but not unheard of either. I hope your warranty claim gets taken care of, as that'll be an expensive bill if it has to come out of your pocket. Just remember you gotta pay to play, and tunes and mods are fun but at some point engine failures are not Ford's responsibility depending on the modifications you have to your truck. If mine lets go tomorrow, it'll be fixed in my driveway as I sure an hell don't have a powertrain warranty anymore lol.

Last edited by BadCon; 02-19-2019 at 04:45 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Dankimus (01-26-2022)
Old 02-19-2019, 11:02 PM

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

I assume that the number of key cycles isn't affected by the Auto start/stop right? You'd have to physically turn the engine on and off to get one count.
Old 02-20-2019, 09:39 AM
Texas A&M Aggie

Received 1,344 Likes on 976 Posts

Originally Posted by michaelquerty
I assume that the number of key cycles isn't affected by the Auto start/stop right? You'd have to physically turn the engine on and off to get one count.
I would assume that is correct. Otherwise that would be an HUGE number a year or two in.
Old 02-20-2019, 11:20 AM

Received 612 Likes on 439 Posts

key cycle just means you put it to starting position and then it turned back. Motor doesn't have to start as far as i know.

Quick Reply: Can Ford see if you HAD a tune