Topic Sponsor
Performance, Tuning, and (LEGAL) Racing Post discussions about increasing performance, capabilities, and racing. ****WARNING**** Street racing or illegal activities will be removed and potential bans will be handed out.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

battery relocation to bed '13 f150

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2018, 03:40 PM

Received 260 Likes on 191 Posts

Default battery relocation to bed '13 f150

how many of you guys have relocated the battery to the bed?

Did you extend the ground cable to pass through the ground sensor by the existing battery box, or did you extend the sensor wires and move it to the bed near where the battery is grounded? (this would make it unnecessary to run a ground wire from back to front)

Does a battery kill switch work only on the hot/alternator side of the battery, or can it be installed to open the ground side and kill the vehicle....or would that blow diodes in the alternator or cause some other damage?

I installed a trunk mounted battery in my 07 mustang, however it didn't have the ground sensor for the smart charge system. On that vehicle it wasn't necessary to run the ground all the way to the existing grounding terminals. It also didn't have an emergency kill switch.
Old 12-07-2018, 07:13 AM

Bueller? Bueller?
Old 12-14-2018, 05:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am thinking to do re-locate battery. but little bit of confused regarding feedback as it can be bad or good.

if you all have real experience please share with me.
Old 12-14-2018, 05:38 PM

This is the second thread I've started about this and yours is the first response I've gotten. Suffice it to say, pretty much nobody has done this.

I can figure out how to do it, just wanted some input from others that may have done it already. The hold up for me is that a battery relocate to the bed necessitates a power kill switch for the track.

Last edited by rojizostang; 12-14-2018 at 05:40 PM.
Old 12-14-2018, 05:58 PM

Received 72 Likes on 42 Posts

I’ve done it on many race cars I’ve had. Honestly I don’t see any of us truly fast enough to see the little bit of benefit from it. Bang for the buck it’s a bust in my opinion. I say better money spent elsewhere. But that’s just my opinion.
Old 12-14-2018, 06:24 PM

t
Originally Posted by justinb491
I’ve done it on many race cars I’ve had. Honestly I don’t see any of us truly fast enough to see the little bit of benefit from it. Bang for the buck it’s a bust in my opinion. I say better money spent elsewhere. But that’s just my opinion.
it's a truck.....not a lot of weight back there compared to the front end. I've already got a 5 gallon intercooler resevoir back there, and I'm thinking about doing the battery also. More traction on the back tires and less weight on the nose. Can't see it being negative in any way.
Old 12-14-2018, 07:15 PM

Received 72 Likes on 42 Posts

Oh no not a negative in any way. Are you running traction bars of any kind?
Old 12-14-2018, 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by justinb491
Oh no not a negative in any way. Are you running traction bars of any kind?
VAS traction bars. Look up Vic Alma on facebook, or VASpecialties is think it is

https://www.facebook.com/vicalma/
Old 12-14-2018, 08:52 PM

Received 964 Likes on 742 Posts

Question...(I know nothing about the track rules) ... Do you actually have to shut the battery off on a regular basis, or is the switch just a track regulation? I'm wondering what happens to power output, shift points etc. during the re-learn process. As far as the switch goes, from a technical standpoint it doesn't matter whether it's on the positive or negative side. Either way you're opening the circuit.
Old 12-14-2018, 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by PerryB
Question...(I know nothing about the track rules) ... Do you actually have to shut the battery off on a regular basis, or is the switch just a track regulation? I'm wondering what happens to power output, shift points etc. during the re-learn process. As far as the switch goes, from a technical standpoint it doesn't matter whether it's on the positive or negative side. Either way you're opening the circuit.
It's an emergency cut off switch in case of an accident. Yes, electrically it will work on the ground side of the battery, but I'm pretty sure track rules dictate for the cut off switch to be on the positive side. At least that's what I've learned lately.

I don't disconnect the battery. I leave it most of the time on the trickle charger as I don't drive this vehicle every day.

Quick Reply: battery relocation to bed '13 f150