Anyone insulate their air intake box and piping? - Ford F150 Forum - Community of Ford Truck Fans

Topic Sponsor
Performance, Tuning, and (LEGAL) Racing Post discussions about increasing performance, capabilities, and racing. ****WARNING**** Street racing or illegal activities will be removed and potential bans will be handed out.

Anyone insulate their air intake box and piping?

Old 01-11-2019, 01:25 PM

Default Anyone insulate their air intake box and piping?

Lot of discussion on CAI's and intake coolers, but I have not read or seen anything here about DIY insulating the plumbing, airbox to the turbo and intercooler to throttle body.. It is common on a lot of racing vehicles.
Anyone try this? Any thoughts?
Seems to me an inexpensive simple mod to at least reduce the intake Temp at closed throttle, giving a cooler starting point going into and thru the system, and intake heat build up while running. I also think it may offer little at wide open throttle due to the velocity of the airflow.
May be the slow pace of winter has me bored and thinking of ways to waste time? KM
Old 01-11-2019, 03:46 PM
Senile member

I foresee insulating the intercooler piping being nothing but a heat trap. Unless you've upgraded your intercooler, you'll just be keeping the heatsoaked air in the piping/maybe making it hotter? Stock intercoolers on these trucks are terrible. Might work for a few degrees on the intake, but once it gets in those turbos it skyrockets again. If you can see a consistent decrease of 10* or better, that's for sure where the improvement is noticeable.
The Following User Says Thank You to chimmike For This Useful Post:
2017bluetruck (01-11-2019)
Old 01-11-2019, 05:29 PM
F150 Vendor

I've had customers with cold air intakes that have an open style air box that have added additional rubber to the hood seals to make certain they contact the hood 100%. This helps to ensure they are getting the best intake air temperatures possible by eliminating as much of the hot engine bay air as possible. Beyond that we do use the header wrap type of heat insulating materials under hood on vehicles with aftermarket turbochargers and things of that nature. But that is usually on the hot side and not on the air intake plumbing.

Here's an example of a F-150 Raptor that we had built years back with a 6.6L Stroker and a pair of twin GT-35R turbos among a long list of other upgrades as well.
The Following User Says Thank You to Livernois Motorsports For This Useful Post:
chimmike (01-13-2019)
Old 01-11-2019, 05:52 PM
Ezekiel 25:17

Thanked 1,158 Times in 740 Posts

You would see a lot more benefit with blankets on the hot side of the chargers and maybe wrapping the downpipes....not wrapping the cold side of things.
The Following User Says Thank You to UNBROKEN For This Useful Post:
chimmike (01-13-2019)
Old 01-11-2019, 05:52 PM

Not an ecoboost, but I partially wrapped my air box and intake tube on my Roush 5.0 with gold heat reflective tape from DEI.

Not sure if it did anything but gold tape adds 50hp!
Old 01-11-2019, 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by UNBROKEN View Post
You would see a lot more benefit with blankets on the hot side of the chargers and maybe wrapping the downpipes....not wrapping the cold side of things.
Not sure but wrapping the intake, particularly the airbox to the turbo, would be a cheap first start, other heat management following on as budget allows. May not be so costly though just a bit more difficult. Thanks!
Just got my curiosity going. KM

Last edited by 2017bluetruck; 01-11-2019 at 09:04 PM.
Old 01-12-2019, 12:11 AM
Inherit my life

Weird... I was just going to make a thread asking this exact same question. Like @BadCon I have a 5.0 . If I hook up my OBD2 adapter and use Forscan lite on my phone I see IAT readings around +20F ambient air. I mean I could see a few degrees but 20? I tried a Roush CAI and it really made minimal difference so I returned it. Now I'm thinking some insulation and foil radiant barrier would help isolate the box and tube from any under the hood heat. I may tinker with this and run some experiments.
Old 01-12-2019, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by I'm Broken View Post
Weird... I was just going to make a thread asking this exact same question. Like @BadCon I have a 5.0 . If I hook up my OBD2 adapter and use Forscan lite on my phone I see IAT readings around +20F ambient air. I mean I could see a few degrees but 20? I tried a Roush CAI and it really made minimal difference so I returned it. Now I'm thinking some insulation and foil radiant barrier would help isolate the box and tube from any under the hood heat. I may tinker with this and run some experiments.
Yes cheap and easy install. Mine will be on my Ecoboost , a tuner supplied IAT, and some more datalogs. I'm thinking interior panel sound damping insulation al backed foam and sticky side application. Airbox and air suply to turbo first, checking results and then maybe CAC cold side to throttle body checking again. Do not see any potential for harm there, insulating just the cold air portions. I'll find out anyhow. KM
Old 01-12-2019, 06:17 PM

Wasting time looking for info on this thought I found this AIT before and after,
Just about exactly what I was considering. KM
The Following User Says Thank You to 2017bluetruck For This Useful Post:
I'm Broken (01-13-2019)
Old 01-13-2019, 12:15 AM
Inherit my life

Originally Posted by 2017bluetruck View Post
Wasting time looking for info on this thought I found this AIT before and after, Lower Air Intake Temps up to 18F Just about exactly what I was considering. KM
This is exactly what I had in mind except use double bubble double foil and regular HVAC foil tape from menards. I did a lot of research on insulation when I built my home and the foil bubble wrap is amazing stuff. It's r-value is low but it's great at eliminating radiant heat. The key is 2 layers of foil separated by an airspace. I think it would perform better than the foil covered cloth in the video. I'm definitely going to try it out and see what effect it has on my engine.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Anyone insulate their air intake box and piping?

Contact Us Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: