Topic Sponsor
Performance, Tuning, and (LEGAL) Racing Post discussions about increasing performance, capabilities, and racing. ****WARNING**** Street racing or illegal activities will be removed and potential bans will be handed out.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

anyone install a line lock or roll control yet?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2019, 03:43 PM

Received 260 Likes on 191 Posts

Default anyone install a line lock or roll control yet?

I'm not a fan of brake stand burn outs, so let's get that out of the way first.

Has anyone here installed a line lock/roll control on their f150? I didn't find anything worthwhile searching.
Old 02-15-2019, 08:46 AM

Received 877 Likes on 561 Posts

I thought about it but also didn’t find much info. The only reason I haven’t tried yet is because I would like to find more information on line locks with traction/stability control on modern vehicles. My concern is that if the system sees the front wheels aren’t turning and the rear are that traction control would kick in. I would hate to do all that work just to find out it wouldn’t work anyways.
Old 02-15-2019, 10:33 AM

Received 211 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by robbieg
I thought about it but also didn’t find much info. The only reason I haven’t tried yet is because I would like to find more information on line locks with traction/stability control on modern vehicles. My concern is that if the system sees the front wheels aren’t turning and the rear are that traction control would kick in. I would hate to do all that work just to find out it wouldn’t work anyways.
If for track use just pull the fuse.
Old 02-15-2019, 11:10 AM
Senile member

Received 1,048 Likes on 732 Posts

this is assuming everyone's disabling the traction control anyway. nobody is going to go thru all this trouble and leave traction control active...……………..
The following users liked this post:
isthatahemi (02-27-2019)
Old 02-15-2019, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by chimmike
this is assuming everyone's disabling the traction control anyway. nobody is going to go thru all this trouble and leave traction control active...……………..
well if you pull the fuse that would work but if you just deactivate with the button it automatically turns back on to some capacity above I think 55 or so MPH so you would hit that instantly.
Old 02-15-2019, 01:12 PM

Received 366 Likes on 250 Posts

well if you pull the fuse that would work but if you just deactivate with the button it automatically turns back on to some capacity above I think 55 or so MPH so you would hit that instantly.
Does it? I thought if advance track is fully disabled the only feature still active is rollover stability. I've done some high speed runs with it off and never noticed it coming back on. I'm not talking about the single button press to turn off traction control, but the big button hold to disable advance track.
Old 02-15-2019, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by BadCon
Does it? I thought if advance track is fully disabled the only feature still active is rollover stability. I've done some high speed runs with it off and never noticed it coming back on. I'm not talking about the single button press to turn off traction control, but the big button hold to disable advance track.
yeah hold is what I was taking about too and no I’m not sure what part’s reactivate and what don’t so you very well may be right.
Old 02-15-2019, 01:34 PM

Received 366 Likes on 250 Posts

I'm reasonably sure the only one that comes back on at speed is the single button press traction control. When you disable advance track, only roll stability remains active, and you can do tire peeling drifts and burnouts for days.....or so I've been told

The following 2 users liked this post by BadCon:
chimmike (02-15-2019), robbieg (02-15-2019)
Old 02-15-2019, 03:21 PM

The instructions for modern coyote mustangs include adding a diode between the load side of the activation switch and the brake light switch. I haven't experienced this myself, but the purpose of the diode is to fool the pcm in some fashion to keep the scenarios mentioned from happening. As far as I know, this started with the 2011 plus mustangs and will probably be necessary on a f150 also. I was unaware of this, however the guy that recently did all the work on my truck informed me of this and showed me a pdf of the instructions (for a mustang). I can't give an electrical explanation for it, however he seems pretty sure it will be necessary, even with the advance track and traction control disabled. It has something to do with the pcm throwing a bunch of codes also.

It seems otherwise it would be pretty easy to install if I knew what the size of the port for the master cylinder is and could purchase the appropriate adapters. There's a guy locally that has some brake lines for sale on craigslist for a '13 f150 from a theft recovery that I thought of picking up to see if I could purchase a line and adapters to sandwich the solenoid between the master cylinder and the abs unit, but he wants like $40 for the two brake lines.

I installed a line lock on my 07 gt and no diode was necessary and it never threw any codes.
Old 02-18-2019, 11:18 AM

I'm going ahead with the line lock install on my truck. After doing a little research and from past experience, I've decided to use two solenoids, one mounted in each brake line between the abs unit and the front wheels. (On my 07 mustang gt I had one installed between the master and the abs). I think the brake line fabrication/adaptation will be minimal, and I also believe that installing them in this fashion will negate the need for the diode mentioned in my earlier post. I just ordered the parts today, and I'm currently hunting down some spare brake lines/hoses in order to try to fabricate ahead of time what I think I will need to complete this job. CFM performance makes a similar kit for mustangs that is installed in the same fashion. In addition, I don't like how much the brake line from the master to the abs unit is reduced in size by the tiny orifices that are in the line lock solenoids....this seems that it would negatively affect the pressure supplied to the abs unit. That's the main reason I decided to use two solenoids instead of the one....also working behind and under the master cylinder would require removing the blower intake tube and all the stuff attached to it, but that's only a minor factor.

I'll post up another thread or add in pictures in this one as I go along, in case anyone has ideas or suggestions or comments that will help to complete this little project.
The following users liked this post:
robbieg (02-18-2019)

Quick Reply: anyone install a line lock or roll control yet?