Topic Sponsor
Performance, Tuning, and (LEGAL) Racing Post discussions about increasing performance, capabilities, and racing. ****WARNING**** Street racing or illegal activities will be removed and potential bans will be handed out.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone had their warranty voided from a tune?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2018, 11:39 AM

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

Default Anyone had their warranty voided from a tune?

Hey guys. So I'm pondering which direction to go in with this new truck. I'd like a flash but the possibility of having a dealer not honor my warranty should I need it has me shook. Has anyone in here actually had the dealer not honor their warranty specifically due to a flash? I'm not talking hypotheticals here guys, I'd like to hear from people who've actually had this happen.
Old 01-05-2018, 11:48 AM

Received 135 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by Vtec187
Hey guys. So I'm pondering which direction to go in with this new truck. I'd like a flash but the possibility of having a dealer not honor my warranty should I need it has me shook. Has anyone in here actually had the dealer not honor their warranty specifically due to a flash? I'm not talking hypotheticals here guys, I'd like to hear from people who've actually had this happen.
A friend of mine had a mustang GT tuned along with some other mods and it was great until he blew his transmission. He flashed it back to stock and brought it to Ford. He told me he was extremely nervous they wouldn't fix it because they would learn he had it tuned and wouldn't warranty it. Well, they didn't find it and they fixed it under the warranty. I was shocked, but apparently they didn't look for a tune.
Old 01-05-2018, 02:32 PM

Received 401 Likes on 229 Posts

How the dealer submits the warranty claim to FoMoCo has everything to do with it. If you go in acting like an *** you will be treated like an ***. Often the dealer will do more for you than you are owed if you just act civil. If they catch you lying don’t expect any favors, that doesn’t mean that questions can’t be answered vaguely. Also remember it is the dealer that fights on your behalf with FoMoCo.
The following users liked this post:
TX-Ripper (01-05-2018)
Old 01-05-2018, 02:36 PM
TOTM November 2019

Received 11,579 Likes on 6,196 Posts

^^^Exactly. The finance guy at my dealer also handles the warranty claims. I asked about tunes, lowering kits and different tires/wheels. He told me that he has a lifted and tuned 2016 Ecoboost and any other "truck guy" that wants to modify their truck has the right to do so and he would help in any way he could if an issue came up due to the mods I asked about. Bottom line, he told me not to worry, but I still am if I ever decide to tune.
Old 01-05-2018, 03:01 PM

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

This is the feeling I'm getting. "Play stupid games win stupid prizes" sort of thing. I've yet to find anyone who's warranty wasn't honored because of a tune. I'm sure they exist, I just haven't found them.
Old 01-05-2018, 03:50 PM
TOTM Sept. '18

Received 3,057 Likes on 1,685 Posts

Great thread...I hear with all the horror stories about voided warranties, never much first hand information...It's always a guy that knew a guy.

Correctly me if I'm wrong the dealer make money on warranty claims when they fix something? Not sure they make anything if they void a warranty and the customer walks.

If the dealer voided the warranty because of a mod and I felt it was unfair they can kiss making another penny from me.

Some dealers might not care...Others want return business.

Mike

Last edited by OCMike; 01-05-2018 at 05:10 PM.
Old 01-05-2018, 04:45 PM
TOTM November 2019

Received 11,579 Likes on 6,196 Posts

Dealers don't void warranties, Ford Motor Company does.
The following 2 users liked this post by Summers22:
OCMike (01-05-2018), RichAP (01-06-2018)

Quick Reply: Anyone had their warranty voided from a tune?