Topic Sponsor
Performance, Tuning, and (LEGAL) Racing Post discussions about increasing performance, capabilities, and racing. ****WARNING**** Street racing or illegal activities will be removed and potential bans will be handed out.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Answer a few "new guy" questions for me.

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2018, 09:02 PM
Inherit my life

Received 155 Likes on 97 Posts

Default Answer a few "new guy" questions for me.

I'm getting more interested in engine tuning. Never bothered before but having a nice new truck and watching some vids here and there I'm thinking maybe it's something I want to try. I get the concept and understand what's going on IN the tune. What I'm confused by is the actual equipment and software process used. I see SCT, bullydog, etc mentioned and I know these are programmers. I also know different tuning companies have different tunes with different results. My question is are all these software tunes compatible with all the hardware tuners out there? The reason I ask is I was browsing the Roush website and they sell a package for the 5.0 with a CAI, catback, and a software file that can be loaded using a J2534 interface. I'm guessing that's the bullydog type interface? Most of the big tuning companies seem to sell the hardware and software togetehr. Also, I know these are canned tunes and more can be squeezed by a custom tune. Can a canned tune be driven around by myself and datalogged over a period of time with a wideband O2 sensor to make a more custom tune? This dudes youtube series got me started down this path... Really good info for those wanting to explore.

Old 01-21-2018, 09:31 PM

Received 428 Likes on 336 Posts

Contact http://www.thetuningschool.com
The following users liked this post:
I'm Broken (01-21-2018)
Old 01-21-2018, 10:19 PM
Inherit my life

Originally Posted by TX-Ripper
Not really the direction I intended. I'm not going into business or anything. I just want to understand the basics of the hardware and software before I make a decision on who to purchase a tune from.
Old 01-23-2018, 07:29 PM

Received 1,027 Likes on 734 Posts

My vote is for OZ. Pretty cool for those who want results, while still having a nice driving truck.
I'm Broken (01-23-2018)
Old 01-23-2018, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by I'm Broken
Not really the direction I intended. I'm not going into business or anything. I just want to understand the basics of the hardware and software before I make a decision on who to purchase a tune from.
Sorry from your post, it looked that way.

What vehicle and engine do you have?

What are your goals?
Old 01-23-2018, 07:44 PM
Inherit my life

Sorry from your post, it looked that way.

What vehicle and engine do you have?

What are your goals?
2017 F-150 5.0 . Not looking to race or anything like that. I have a touch of OCD and am an efficiency freak. I just want this engine opened up for what it was built to do. I want the drive by wire fixed and I want my engine running the best it can for a daily driver with a heavy foot at times.
Old 01-23-2018, 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by I'm Broken
2017 F-150 5.0 . Not looking to race or anything like that. I have a touch of OCD and am an efficiency freak. I just want this engine opened up for what it was built to do. I want the drive by wire fixed and I want my engine running the best it can for a daily driver with a heavy foot at times.
in that case SCT BDX from Oz Tuning will get you what you are looking for.
I'm Broken (01-23-2018)
Old 01-23-2018, 07:55 PM
Inherit my life

I'm glad you said that. I've been reading and reading for what seems like months and I always come back to that omega tune. People who like it seem to be in my similar situation.
Old 01-23-2018, 08:05 PM
Inherit my life

Can you tell me what the deal is with the different hardware? I've read the bullydog and SCT are the same except the color. What's the X4 bring to the table? I'm guessing the HP tuners just adds the external inputs for sensors? And these tuners all say they already come with tunes? Are they just not as good as the Omega?
Old 01-23-2018, 08:10 PM

sct and bully dog are the same company now.

Hptuners would be for if you wanted to tune your truck.

x4 is the older handheld device, bdx is the newest handheld from sct/bullydog.

x4 and bdx have canned tunes made by sct for your truck.

Oz tuning will make you a custom tune which will work better then canned tunes and he can customize it too you liking
I'm Broken (01-23-2018)

Quick Reply: Answer a few "new guy" questions for me.