Topic Sponsor
Performance, Tuning, and (LEGAL) Racing Post discussions about increasing performance, capabilities, and racing. ****WARNING**** Street racing or illegal activities will be removed and potential bans will be handed out.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5.0L Procharger Stage 2 Install Experience

Old 12-25-2017, 11:43 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default 5.0L Procharger Stage 2 Install Experience

This post is to provide folks out there context on why someone would choose a procharger kit over the roush or whipple kit for the 5.0L and what to expect with the install and end results.

My truck is 15 5.0L Platinum. When I decided I wanted to take my truck to the next level with engine performance, I started my research with superchargers. I choose Procharger for several reasons. Price, warranty, and the ability to do it myself. Whipple states you must have a certified shop install it for you to maintain the warranty. With that, the price for everything was around 10Gs. Roush requires modification to the block or something to that nature…I can’t remember the specifics but it was something that turned me away immediately.

So I decided to purchase the Procharger system. Ill list as many of tips and surprises I can remember as it took me longer than expected to do the install. I installed the Stage 2 kit with the P1X S/C, Helical Gears, and Race Intercooler. Order your coolant, spark plugs, and intake manifold gaskets beforehand. Also ensure you have access to an endless amount of tools. I was surprised what all I used for the install. The amount of pushpins and sensors throughout the install were awful. Also, there is a lot of tight and weird spaces you’ll find yourself in.

The first “surprise” was draining the coolant. The drain plug did not work as it was suppose to and it drained out of the hose you attach to the coolant drain nipple and the drain ****. Annoying as hell.

Second thing is pay attention to the details of the instructions; on both the left side of the page and on the right with the pictures.

When you get to the fuel system and you have the rail out, go ahead and take out the manifold. This will allow you to punch out the spacers on the manifold rather than almost passing yourself out trying to “moderately” apply force. You will change your Map sensor here, clean up the head some if you want, and apply new gaskets. BTW, taking the manifold out blows. Brace yourself.

The crank pulley and supercharger setup is not too bad. Just take your time and have another person there to check your work and ensure you are doing it correctly. When you get to the head unit install, you will most likely need to rotate the head unit to the 5oclock by taking off/loosing the brackets and rotating it. This gives you the adequate length to run the driver side intercooler piping.

Grille modifications and intercooler install was okay. You’ll need a dermal here and it helps tremendously throughout the build.

Intercooler piping is a beast and you must have another person to help you. It is by far the most frustrating and terrible experience of the build (sensors on back of the manifold was a close 2nd). We used oil to lube the piping on fittings, trimmed a good bit of piping, and cursed the whole probably 4 hours it took to do both sides. An awful experience to say the least.

But to round it all out, you put the supercharger hose in the oven for a bit to warm it up, throw it on the blower and attach and look everything over… and you’re done.

I’ll comment more on the actual performance of the kit and the canned tune from procharger tomorrow as I have yet to drive it. I finished up the piping today. I'll also include some pictures of the setup and how things are ran.

Last edited by Chris Heist; 12-25-2017 at 11:48 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Chris Heist:
03SC Lariat (12-26-2017), TX-Ripper (12-26-2017)
Old 12-26-2017, 07:32 AM
No fart cans allowed

Received 1,448 Likes on 958 Posts

I will try to keep an eye on this thread. Alternative choices are a good thing, even though I would choose a Whipple if I was putting a supercharger on a 5.0 F-150.

One question - doesn't Procharger use a Vortec head unit? I know from reading in the past that Vortec recommends not running at least some of their head units in sub-freezing weather. That would be a huge negative for me.
The following users liked this post:
TX-Ripper (12-26-2017)
Old 12-26-2017, 07:36 AM

Received 373 Likes on 153 Posts

Congrats on doing the install yourself. Are you out of warranty? Not that it matters, just curious. How long did it take you?
Old 12-26-2017, 08:17 AM
Ezekiel 25:17

Received 2,371 Likes on 1,215 Posts

I used ProCharger on my 2012 Ram. They make a nice kit they just lack that low end punch a twin screw has.
TX-Ripper (12-26-2017)
Old 12-26-2017, 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by BadAV
I will try to keep an eye on this thread. Alternative choices are a good thing, even though I would choose a Whipple if I was putting a supercharger on a 5.0 F-150.

One question - doesn't Procharger use a Vortec head unit? I know from reading in the past that Vortec recommends not running at least some of their head units in sub-freezing weather. That would be a huge negative for me.
I don’t know the answer to this question. My truck will be in like 0 degree weather here soon so I guess we’ll find out.
Old 12-26-2017, 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by autoworker
Congrats on doing the install yourself. Are you out of warranty? Not that it matters, just curious. How long did it take you?
I am just out of warranty which means this is probably when things will break😂. I did the install over leave and only dedicated 2-3hours a day on it. I wanted to not allow myself to become frustrated or in a rush and break something. I would say it would take someone 3-4 full days.
Old 12-27-2017, 06:10 PM
Blown Member

Received 185 Likes on 152 Posts

I didn't take the manifold off. The injector standoffs were a bitch to get out.
I clamped vice grips on them and then clamped another pair on the adjustment screw at a 90 degree angle. They were not clamped on the threads but enough to not slip over the screw head. I hammered upward under the second set off grips until the standoff came out of the manifold.

I also put the MAP sensor on earlier in the install than the instructions call for. I used a very small ratchet and the biggest extension mirror I could find.
Old 12-27-2017, 10:56 PM

To add more content to this thread. I spent three days going back and forth with procharger via email and phone to resolve my fuel leak issue I was experiencing. At the end of the day, they basically failed me in resolving this. I don’t blame the techs, I blame procharger for not completely ensuring their kits fit every different coyote engine through our truck years. So if you follow their directions for a 2015/2016, be careful on how you are installing your fuel rail and the spacers you use. I ended up using their supplied ones and shimming washers in between the bolt and spacer IOT Support the bolts not coming lose.

Overall, their directions for the kit leaves much to be desired. I would say I am okay at mechanics but there were times when I was guessing on how the directions wanted a part to be installed or how it was suppose to look in the vehicle.

For the the price comparison of Whipple and procharger, I still say this kit is worth it...BUT the durability and longevity of the kit is what is concerning. Guess we will see.
TX-Ripper (12-29-2017)
Old 12-29-2017, 02:58 PM
Senile member

Received 1,048 Likes on 732 Posts

I'm still waiting to hear about how it drives and feels!
Old 12-29-2017, 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by chimmike
I'm still waiting to hear about how it drives and feels!
I drove the truck for 100 miles today... mixed driving. There is a lot of potential with this kit if you get it custom tuned. I am extremely disappointed with the shift points of the canned tune. It’ll go into 5th gear going 35 going up a hill and it’ll bog down and you have to apply moderate gas to get it to upshift which inturns drops it to 2nd gear! But driving with manual shift, it’s awesome! Sounds amazing and starting at 2500-3000, the truck starts eating up the air and you take off. Has a buttload of power, plenty for me to smile about that is. Ofcourse one of the reasons I like it is it hasn’t changed my low end torque and horsepower so it drives like it’s not even there which is nice when it comes to fuel mileage. I got 17.9 out of the 100 miles.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 5.0L Procharger Stage 2 Install Experience