Topic Sponsor
Performance, Tuning, and (LEGAL) Racing Post discussions about increasing performance, capabilities, and racing. ****WARNING**** Street racing or illegal activities will be removed and potential bans will be handed out.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2018 f150 to whipple or not

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2019, 09:59 PM

Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts
Default 2018 f150 to whipple or not

Hello everyone. So I have a 2018 f150 with the 5.0. Well as a lot of you know more power is always better. I'm debating on installing a whipple on my truck. My issue (if you can call it that) is my 2018 is a basic stx its not 4wd it has the 8.8 3.15 regular rear end axle. I got a good deal and couldn't pass it up. I'm coming from a 2000 extended cab f150 that I swapped with a complete built lightning motor. So I know what power feels like. I know these truck are completely different animals power wise. So what do you guys think would putting a whipple on this truck be worth it? I think the rear end would be the only downfall correct me if I'm wrong. I obviously know that the rear end could be swapped but that would be down the line maybe. Let me know what you guys think. Thanks in advance.
Old 05-08-2019, 10:02 PM

Received 801 Likes on 530 Posts

If funds allow and you're up for it then do it. My $0.02.
Old 05-08-2019, 11:55 PM
Yup

Received 149 Likes on 105 Posts

^ this. It’s a blast to drive every single time I sit in the driver’s seat. It’s worth noting that without 4x4, you can’t lauch it nearly as hard and those with 4x4. But if you’re not trying to seriously drag race or track it, then it doesn’t matter.
Old 05-12-2019, 02:52 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Do it!!! Ive driven a few newer F-150's with a whipple and they are an absolute blast!
Old 05-12-2019, 08:53 PM

Received 158 Likes on 103 Posts

DO IT!! Just be careful with custom tuning, as all that extra power might "expose" hidden factory flaws causing your new engine to blow.
The following users liked this post:
Axles of Evil (10-05-2019)
Old 05-13-2019, 04:39 AM

Received 355 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by RayoVac
DO IT!! Just be careful with custom tuning, as all that extra power might "expose" hidden factory flaws causing your new engine to blow.
OPG?

Got a link to a thread? Interested in your story...
Old 05-13-2019, 03:46 PM

Received 158 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by Threeper88
OPG?

Got a link to a thread? Interested in your story...
Nope... I did Boundary OPGs and Crank Sprocket when the Stage 2 Whipple went on at 9 miles on the odometer.

At over 7K miles I started down the road of custom tuning, which after my 0-100 tuning runs I started to notice a shudder of sorts at lower RPMs under load. After a week or so of that getting worse.. I had pressures so high in my crank case that I blew the drivers valve cover gasket. Never overheated, did not hear any grinding metal etc. When it blew I was less than a mile from home, which I very carefully limped it back to. I had it towed to the local Ford dealer where they found 3 cylinders with no compression. With no warranty I had it towed back home where it currently sits lonely outside my garage. Frankly I have not had the courage yet to pull it in and pull plugs to look around. I fear a new short block will be needed.... I don't have the funds for that right now... so it will sit until I do.

Many have looked at my tuning run logs and felt they saw issues, but the tuner has defended his stance proclaiming all the other folks with comments were providing mis-information and he spent a lot of time educating the community on the magic that seems to exist in custom tuning. He felt there was no way it could be his error and it had to be a fault in my engine that was exposed by the additional stresses being brought on by his custom tune.

So there you are now caught up

Here is the link to my thread of woe.
The following users liked this post:
TX-Ripper (05-15-2019)
Old 05-13-2019, 05:01 PM

Received 355 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by RayoVac
Nope... I did Boundary OPGs and Crank Sprocket when the Stage 2 Whipple went on at 9 miles on the odometer.

At over 7K miles I started down the road of custom tuning, which after my 0-100 tuning runs I started to notice a shudder of sorts at lower RPMs under load. After a week or so of that getting worse.. I had pressures so high in my crank case that I blew the drivers valve cover gasket. Never overheated, did not hear any grinding metal etc. When it blew I was less than a mile from home, which I very carefully limped it back to. I had it towed to the local Ford dealer where they found 3 cylinders with no compression. With no warranty I had it towed back home where it currently sits lonely outside my garage. Frankly I have not had the courage yet to pull it in and pull plugs to look around. I fear a new short block will be needed.... I don't have the funds for that right now... so it will sit until I do.

Many have looked at my tuning run logs and felt they saw issues, but the tuner has defended his stance proclaiming all the other folks with comments were providing mis-information and he spent a lot of time educating the community on the magic that seems to exist in custom tuning. He felt there was no way it could be his error and it had to be a fault in my engine that was exposed by the additional stresses being brought on by his custom tune.

So there you are now caught up

Here is the link to my thread of woe.
Bummer man sorry to hear. That’s pretty much the exact scenario you fear going into something like that.
Old 05-13-2019, 09:18 PM

Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts

Thanks for the replys guys. Rayo I understand the frustration I've seen your thread and it frightens me. I honestly have reconsidered doing it. To many things that can happen or maybe nothing bad would happen but who can guarantee that right. Only way I would install a whipple would be with a custom tune and oz seems/seemed like the best choice.
Old 05-13-2019, 10:29 PM

Received 612 Likes on 439 Posts

These new motors receive a significant portion of their fueling from the high pressure fuel system. A single injector failure from the DI system is an instantaneous engine death.

DI lets you run 3+ degrees more timing than you would be able to otherwise as long as the blend is 40-50% of total fuel injection. Around 70% DI blend is where the benefits taper off hard.

Quick Reply: 2018 f150 to whipple or not